Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Tesco Christmas cake in a box kit now half price ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tesco Christmas cake in a box kit now half price 5
Views: 3,775
# 1
WOW Factor 0
usignuolo
Old 22-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Tesco Christmas cake in a box kit now half price 5

Tesco sells a christmas cake kit in a box (all the ingredients weighed out) you just need to add eggs and an orange basically -for 10. Bought one yesterday on special offer for 5. Big stack of them at the end of the Home Baking aisle.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to usignuolo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
prettyflamingo
Old 22-11-2012, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hmm wonder if they have a surplus of these like last year's Mary Berry's?? thanks OP, might hold out to see if they go any less...
Car Boot Queen!!

Clothes Golden Rule: Never pay full price unless it is an utter bargain in the first place!
Sales, boots, charity shops, ebay- why would anyone ever pay full price for anything??!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prettyflamingo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
VfM4meplse
Old 09-12-2012, 9:44 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just browsing Mysupermarket and stumbled across the same deal. No chance of me buying at this price!

What's the betting they will be reduced to 2 or less after Christmas, Mary Berry styl-ee? (although IIRC they were reduced to 3 before Christmas last year). I had already made my own cake last year but made up the 2 kits I had bought a few weeks ago, they seemed fine.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!
# 4
bajangal
Old 09-12-2012, 9:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I also made up my 2 Mary Berry cake two weeks ago that I bought in January. Poured some alcohol over it - and we had some today. Taste scrumptious. Hope these kits are reduced further so I can stock up for next year.
Born and bred a Bajan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bajangal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
moments_of_sanity
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajangal View Post
I also made up my 2 Mary Berry cake two weeks ago that I bought in January. Poured some alcohol over it - and we had some today. Taste scrumptious. Hope these kits are reduced further so I can stock up for next year.
So glad to hear yours came out ok, I too had a couple left from last year and risked making them today.

Can't wait to ice and eat them now
The Following User Says Thank You to moments_of_sanity For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
tillycat123
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've still got a Delia Waitose one in the cupboard to make from last year, might give it a go now you have said yours was fine.
# 7
billieboy
Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bought the Sainsburys one at 2 before Christmas last year after an alert on here . I cooked it in April for this Christmas. The Waitrose one went down to 2.50 before Christmas but I'd already bought the Sainsburys one. (I had to add butter as well.)

The Tesco one might get reduced further the nearer it gets to Christmas if there are loads in stock.
# 8
meanmum
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I made mine up from the kit last year and it's been in the freezer ever since (freezing is a good way to mature a cake faster, breaks up the fruit a bit). I must remember to get it out & decorate it.......
# 9
sarah222
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I made the tesco one last week when saw it for 5 - I usualy make one and buy it all seperate costs me loads but as I was ill I didnt get chance. Thought this was good way out - so altho it says dont feed it mine is wrapped and being fed brandy every 3-5 days until 23rd when it be iced. MMMMM do like a moist cake lol
# 10
hilstep2000
Old 10-12-2012, 2:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

OH got the delia kit for free last year in Waitrose. I kept it till Easter and made a simmnel cake out of it. It was delish!
I Believe in saving money!!!
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

# 11
prettyflamingo
Old 11-12-2012, 8:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my mary berry number 1 is marzipanned waiting for the icing next weekend! mary berry number 2 is still wrapped and in a tin and will be kept until next year! with regular feeding im sure it will be perfectly tasty (for those who like it anyway, i dont like fruit cake myself!)
Car Boot Queen!!

Clothes Golden Rule: Never pay full price unless it is an utter bargain in the first place!
Sales, boots, charity shops, ebay- why would anyone ever pay full price for anything??!
# 12
The Old Bag
Old 22-12-2012, 5:18 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Good news folks
Tesco Christmas Cake Kit now down to 3 for the larger size and 2 for smaller size.....
I wouldn't be surprised if it drops further if the shelves aren't cleared at these prices.(Loads and loads of kits in my store)
Also a few pence/pounds knocked off other Christmas cakes, stollen, puddings etc... but nothing irresistible - yet
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Old Bag For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
VfM4meplse
Old 22-12-2012, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Bag View Post
Good news folks
Tesco Christmas Cake Kit now down to 3 for the larger size and 2 for smaller size.....
I wouldn't be surprised if it drops further if the shelves aren't cleared at these prices.(Loads and loads of kits in my store)
Thanks for the heads up, I shall be watching and waiting

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!
# 14
standingupformyself
Old 22-12-2012, 10:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The one I bought in Sainsburys just before Christmas last year for a couple pounds is still sat in the cupboard!
2011: 10 Sports Direct Voucher, Peppa Pig Wii Game, Trivial Pursuit Card Game, 100 Chat magazine win, Dance workout dvd, Grease wii game,
# 15
VfM4meplse
Old 22-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingupformyself View Post
The one I bought in Sainsburys just before Christmas last year for a couple pounds is still sat in the cupboard!
Go ahead and make it if you've no plans to be out this afternoon but need to spend some time on domestics. I always find a spot of slow-baking encourages me to clean the house thoroughly, as I can't go galavanting with my oven on!

The Following User Says Thank You to VfM4meplse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
goingsenile
Old 02-01-2013, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got the large Christmas Cake mix in Tesco tonight for 2.50. Used the Mary Berry one last year to do a Guess the Weight Cake for the school Spring Fayre and it was much appreciated

AJ