Main site > Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > Self Assessment, Tax Code and Refund (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Self Assessment, Tax Code and Refund
Closed Thread
Views: 1,787
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 09-12-2012, 8:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default Self Assessment, Tax Code and Refund


Basic situation; did my 2011/2012 self assessment online and it has calculated a tax refund of 62 and some pennies.

My situation was that I was in full time employment with a Tax Code of 712L and also self employed getting a very small income on the side, exempt from Class 2 Nics due to the low income on the Self employment.

This year my tax code is 775L.

Am I right in thinking that this tax code is responsible for the refund they have calculated?

Also, do I understand it correctly that with this tax code my full time employer would have paid tax on everything above 7120 (712L), so essentially paying more tax than if I was on the basic entry tax code. I'm just a little confused how I get a refund when I still made 40 out of the self employment.

Was the self employment the reason behind creating this tax code in the first place?

Would like to understand this as I'll be contacting HMRC this week to update them as I've stopped the self employment as you can imagine with the profit so low now, and my full time employment has changed etc..

Thanks for any help!
CakeTen is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 09-12-2012, 8:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 421

Hello there

You would have to track back through your PAYE coding notices to see why HMRC adjusted it. The standard code for 2011/12 was 747L - so it is possible they reduced this to take account of your self-employment income.

If they reduced your code to 712L and you only received 40 of self-employment income then too much tax was collected through PAYE on your employment income which is why you are now due a refund.

Hope this helps
pjclar02 is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 09-12-2012, 9:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,663

Your codes for 2011/12 and 2012/13 are the equivalent of 355 allowances less than normal.

355 @ 20% = 71.00

Take away tax on your s/e profit (40 @ 20% = 8.00) and you get a repayment of 63.

So your reasoning seems sound but you’ll have to ask HMRC why your code has been restricted.
jimmo is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5

Brill, thanks both!

I'll have a chat to hmrc then about the tax code.

CakeTen is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5

Thanks again guys. Spoke to HMRC this morning to confirm the tax code situation, was exactly as you said, 'other income' was the reason for the code. The only other income I had was the self employment which was more on previous years, with the money from that falling to the 40 gave that gap in the tax code where my personal allowance was lower with the full time employment but the self employment didn't meet that expectation. Seems so much more straight forward now. HMRC have been updated as well.
CakeTen is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 7:09 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 25 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

  • Interesting that the full Miliband v Cameron debate result polls shows the snap #whowon poll I did on here were pretty much spot on.
  • This idea that pension freedom is good for all is nonsense. Many will be too scared to spend, and leave it untouched #marr
  • The government had not set up an independent advice service it had set up a guidance service, not even close to the same #marr

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed