Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CakeTen
    Self Assessment, Tax Code and Refund
    • 9th Dec 12, 9:11 PM
    Self Assessment, Tax Code and Refund 9th Dec 12 at 9:11 PM
    Hi,

Basic situation; did my 2011/2012 self assessment online and it has calculated a tax refund of 62 and some pennies.

My situation was that I was in full time employment with a Tax Code of 712L and also self employed getting a very small income on the side, exempt from Class 2 Nics due to the low income on the Self employment.

This year my tax code is 775L.

Am I right in thinking that this tax code is responsible for the refund they have calculated?

Also, do I understand it correctly that with this tax code my full time employer would have paid tax on everything above 7120 (712L), so essentially paying more tax than if I was on the basic entry tax code. I'm just a little confused how I get a refund when I still made 40 out of the self employment.

Was the self employment the reason behind creating this tax code in the first place?

Would like to understand this as I'll be contacting HMRC this week to update them as I've stopped the self employment as you can imagine with the profit so low now, and my full time employment has changed etc..

Thanks for any help!
    Cake.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

241Posts Today

3,438Users online

Martin's Twitter