Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Improve my credit score (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Improve my credit score
Views: 362
# 1
bumblebee xxx
Old 04-12-2012, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Improve my credit score

Hello
I'm looking for some advice, I am trying to improve my credit score it was 950 with credit expert and I applied for a car loan but declined didn't effect my score I only have 1 mobile phone contract I'm on voters register everything so I called credit expert who told me the best way was to get a credit card and clear the balance every month now I have done this for 2 months now but it has lowered my score too 444? How can I build my credit up? If I can't anything now?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Sammy Jo
Old 06-12-2012, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default credit checks lower score

Unfortunately these things take time. Like a minimum of one quarter. Once you have made at lease 3 months of on time payments that will start to make your credit score crawl. Chances are that it went way down just for the inquiry on the car loan. I have heard (and noticed myself) that everytime your credit is being "looked" at it sneds a red flag for your score. Similar to when you go through a background check, a credit check sometimes goes hand in hand with that and can lower your score just by having it inquired upon. I noticed this for myself when I was job searching, doing several interviews and had a couple background checks done. Nothing else had changed as far as loan or credit card payment but my score was lowered because of the inquiries.

If its ever possible make sure who ever you are working with whether it be an employer, loaner, etc. doesn't do a credit check if it isn't necessary. Hang on to a recent report and show that to them if you can get away with it.
# 3
Tixy
Old 06-12-2012, 4:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee xxx View Post
Hello
so I called credit expert who told me the best way was to get a credit card and clear the balance every month now I have done this for 2 months now but it has lowered my score too 444? How can I build my credit up? If I can't anything now?
Don't get too focused on the score, nobody ever sees that except for yourself. Instead its best to look at the detailed report.
Using a credit card and repaying in full each month will help you build up a good credit history, and over time this will help you demonstrate to other potential lenders that you are managing credit responsibly.
Obviously do make sure you always make the minimum payment to your card on time every month for it to be credited by the due date. If you did miss a payment or pay late this will have a negative impact on your file.
A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
or "It costs nowt to be nice"
# 4
stupot_99
Old 07-12-2012, 3:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I went from about a 200 ish score to 903 in the space of about 6 months yet when i use the experian match up thingy it only ever comes back with a vanquis card. I havent applied as i dont see the need. I used a capital one card that has a £200 limit and pay off every penny each month. Dont think the score really matters much but its nice to see green instead of red.