Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • PlutoinCapricorn
    • By PlutoinCapricorn 22nd Nov 12, 8:16 AM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    PlutoinCapricorn
    • 22nd Nov 12, 8:16 AM
    Starting a business
    • 22nd Nov 12, 8:16 AM
    Register with HMRC as a Sole Trader

Public Liability Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Equipment insurance?

New bank account or use existing one?

Set up a website.
    Last edited by PlutoinCapricorn; 22-11-2012 at 8:21 AM.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• googler
    • By googler 22nd Nov 12, 12:14 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 9,000 Thanks
    googler
    • 22nd Nov 12, 12:14 PM
    • 22nd Nov 12, 12:14 PM
    Make sure you spell-check all your marketing material [text removed by MSE Forum Team]

Register the domain for the business name so that you can have the website and have email addresses with the business name. Don't be one of these amateurs with a hotmail or gmail address.

If she'll be working from home, check the situation with your home insurer regarding insurance for business items and whether or not this will affect premium, also whether or not storage of lots of cleaning fluids etc at your home has H&S and insurance implications.

Look into membership of a cash and carry to buy material in bulk at lower prices

If using the family car to get around, read up on how to account for business and personal use. check with insurer how business use will affect your premium.

Read all the HMRC material on being self-employed and/or running a business (there's lots of it)

Keep records of all money coming in, and all expenses so you can account for them to the taxman

Have you researched the areas you're planning on servicing? How much demand there's likely to be for your services? How many are already offering the same service as you? This is crucial. If there's already a satisfied client base, and nobody wants to switch from their current cleaner, how will you get any business? Imagine yourself in the Dragon's Den, pitching for investment from the dragons for this business - can you come up with a convincing argument for someone to back you......?

Good Luck.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-11-2012 at 9:31 PM.
    • googler
    • By googler 22nd Nov 12, 6:51 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 9,000 Thanks
    googler
    • 22nd Nov 12, 6:51 PM
    • 22nd Nov 12, 6:51 PM
    If you're going to use a dedicated vehicle, consider sign writing or wrapping it so that it's a mobile billboard for your services. Check with the insurer first, as some will refuse to insure sign-written or wrapped vehicles
    • warwicktiger
    • By warwicktiger 23rd Nov 12, 6:16 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    warwicktiger
    • 23rd Nov 12, 6:16 PM
    • 23rd Nov 12, 6:16 PM
    This site may help you:

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk
  • whenispaydayagain?
    • 5th Dec 12, 2:11 PM
    • 5th Dec 12, 2:11 PM
    Sorry i haven't been on for a while - Thanks for all the replies guys - Much appreciated
  • mee1973
    • 6th Dec 12, 2:17 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 2:17 PM
    Sorry i haven't been on for a while - Thanks for all the replies guys - Much appreciated
    Originally posted by whenispaydayagain?
    You can also buy car magnet signs to advertise, and I have just listed myself with plenty of free index listing sites online for my business, some well known (not sure of rules on listing websites so I wont).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,618Users online

Martin's Twitter