Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 25th Mar 11, 9:37 AM
    • 8,552Posts
    • 59,479Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Super Scrimpers
    • 25th Mar 11, 9:37 AM
    Super Scrimpers 25th Mar 11 at 9:37 AM
    New show Super scrimpers starts on channel 4 at 8.30pm looks like something that is very OS

Stop throwing away cash and get help to save your hard-earned pennies!
    Families are needed who feel they are pouring money down the drain and could benefit from advice on stopping the waste. Maybe you buy more food than your family needs, or you want the latest gadgets or fashions even though you cant afford them.
    If you think you or a relative is wasting hundreds or thousands of pounds on items you dont need, the shows experts can teach healthy spending habits and a better approach to saving. Families will also learn how to reduce waste in useful and thrifty ways.
    Also, if you have any quirky or interesting tips to cut costs and save on spending, the programme-makers also want to hear from you.
    Call 03335 777 776 or email:
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
Page 83
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 5th Dec 12, 10:33 AM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 17,039 Thanks
    When they said that dress cost 250 and worked out at $5 per wearing I laughed!
    I too love designer clothes, but I buy mine on Ebay! I bought a beautiful Condici dress and jacket, Jacques Vert hat, shoes and bag for my daughter's wedding two years ago. The dress and jacket were 25 instead of 400 and the hat, shoes and bag were 15 instead of 300
    You just need to be savvy!

Hated the cereal box necklace and the heart decorations too. Waste of time watching it.
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Dec 12, 10:36 AM
    • 20,183 Posts
    • 78,318 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I had to laugh at Lady PoshBird with her second hand fur coat and her top Xmas tips - use game from your grounds for a pie and a Christmas tree from the estate. I'm sure my local council will be thrilled when I start taking a tree from the estate...
    Originally posted by LutonGirl

Pick the wrong Estate and you'd be needing a shotgun.

Which could end up with you bagging a couple of bull terriers for the pot, I suppose. Nobody in law enforcement would notice a mad woman wrapped in a dead animal carrying a shotgun and Mickey Wells from number 52's Christmas Tree, would they?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 5th Dec 12, 11:02 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,802 Thanks
    Mickey Wells
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted

Okay, You've lost me!! Had a quick Google and got nowt!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    [he points to some plastic cows on the table]
    Father Ted: are very small; those
    [pointing at some cows out of the window]
    Father Ted: are far away...
  • sonastin
    I find the best way to watch is to record and then wind fast through all the stupid bits, repeated bits (for those with the attention span of a gnat), patronising bits etc. It doesn't take long to watch!
    Originally posted by maman
    How to superscrimp a TV series...
    shoot 15 minutes of footage
    record 30 minutes of voice over
    edit in different combinations to make an hours show
    re-edit in more different combinations to make another hours show to sell again for broadcast when the schedules are a bit bare
    use all 15 minutes of footage to make 15 different trailers to advertise the show in the hope that the audience will think that there is lots more to it
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 5th Dec 12, 1:12 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 7,294 Thanks
    I'm wondering what sort of car boot sales have got Sharon Osbourne's old clothes!

Wasn't keen on that homemade cracker either, I'm sure you could make much nicer looking ones. And it didn't have a bang!
    • Frugalista
    • By Frugalista 5th Dec 12, 1:23 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 6,069 Thanks
    I was gagging watching the Duchess and the old popstar making pastry/gingerbread both with handfuls of rings on . There was pastry stuck all over them. Yeuch!!!
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 5th Dec 12, 1:24 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 41,551 Thanks
    Naff was the word that came to mind! I think one may have slightly different jumble sales in those parts Round here they could smell the 250 in your pocket and you would have it lifted pretty damn quick.

I recorded it luckily so I could fast forward the 'Agadoo' bits, of which there were many

Im sorry but if they think that much of that was of any use to us in the real world then they are sadly mistaken. Just pop on the celebration thread and see the quality of gifts being made by MSE'ers for pennies - good enough for Harrods.My family love my HM gifts and I wouldnt dare wrap up the junk they showed last night.

And they never once mentioned the many uses of Fleece - we all use it on MSE...wanders off to check the light bulbs in my chandalier....
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 5th Dec 12, 1:29 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 5,811 Thanks
    Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who thought this was absolute rubbish! I tried to watch it once before and gave up halfway through (well nearly!) Seeing that it was a Christmas show I thought that I'd give it another try...
    Bring back Shirley Goode with her Christmas budget tips on Pebble Mill!
    Now I'm showing my age! (She still blogs if anyone would like to take a look)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 5th Dec 12, 2:08 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 8,665 Thanks
    It was utter drivel! DH was getting really fed up with the agadoo crowd.He reckoned the buffet they provided wasnt going to be instead of their usual outrageous do at their local it would just be as well as. Fools and money he was muttering as he left the room. I decided to make him the Xmas hairband as I know he'll be soooo impressed.
    ANNUAL GC 1129.12 /3300

"Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • jackel
    • By jackel 5th Dec 12, 3:50 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    Hi everyone - Had a giggle at your comments. Have got it recorded but shall scrimp and save the leccy by not bothering. Do so agree with Jackie O that there is a huge potential audience out there. I think they are just taking the mickey out of people like us.

Jac xx
    • purple.sarah
    • By purple.sarah 5th Dec 12, 4:26 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 26,497 Thanks
    I almost had a heart attack when that woman took scissors to a book. Definitely won't be trying that one.

The game pie looked horrible. Of course, one tends not to have excess game birds on one's grounds in these parts.
    Originally posted by shelley_crow
    I quite liked the finished decoration though, I might try it as I love books but I have lots and some are worn out and too tatty for the charity shop, it's better than throwing them away. I guess you could also use newspaper.
    Make 15 a day in October: 28/465

October NSD Challenge: 1/10
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 5th Dec 12, 5:05 PM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 31,222 Thanks
    ......Wasn't keen on that homemade cracker either, I'm sure you could make much nicer looking ones. And it didn't have a bang!
    Originally posted by CupOfChai

The HM crackers infuriated me - I'm all for 'as good or better' HM items, but crackers that don't crack? forget it! They looked like a nursery school effort, not from an adult.

I buy my crackers in January for around 1.25 a box. The carp inside is part of the fun - love the fortune fish and the little whistles etc.
    Find Money on Your Street 2009 - date: 81.06
    Ditched in 2015: 653
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 5th Dec 12, 5:21 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 29,432 Thanks
    The crackers were terrible I agree, and probably cost way more than a cheap supermarket box.
    MFW 21 MFI3T3 82
    Target for 2015 13,837\20,000

Mortgage 133,158 6 yrs 7 months left. Total owed 171,518

1000 grocery challenge Oct1st -New year's eve 613.00spent.
    • sarahg1969
    • By sarahg1969 5th Dec 12, 9:11 PM
    • 6,434 Posts
    • 10,821 Thanks
    Don't forget - don't waste that pea-sized piece of marzipan. Go out and buy three different bottles of food colouring, and you can make a single penguin cake decoration.

Honestly, I've never seen such crap in my life. They tell you stuff that everyone should already know, or show you how to save money by spending even more (on food colourings, almond oil, ribbons, spray paints or whatever), or show you real 'bargains' like 250 fur coats. Actually what I loved was the fact that the Duchess wore that designer dress at least 50 times; and she had a rack of them. She could save a bit by going out less!

And if I ever gave anyone a piece of cereal box for Christmas, they'd either think one of my children had made it at nursery, or probably never speak to me again.

My favourite ever was the home-made tomato ketchup, for which you only needed 6 large tomatoes and an entire afternoon in the kitchen. And you ended up with less than you get in a sachet at Morrison's cafe.

It's one of the most ludicrous programmes I've ever seen. Which is a shame; I feel it has potential.
    • By THIRZAH 5th Dec 12, 9:33 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 4,572 Thanks
    I had the same thought about the marzipan-I suppose it would be ok if you already had the food colouring but otherwise it would probably cost more than buying a ready made decoration.

We've made crackers in the past-from a kit which obviously cost more than scraps of crepe paper and toilet roll middles but at least they did go bang. I found that buying the little gifts for the middle cost quite a bit and was just one more thing to do at Christmas so now we buy crackers in January when they are reduced.

Why can't they come up with some decent ideas for crafts etc. The recipes are usually ok but I stopped making presents out of cereal packets when I left primary school.
  • redsquarelady
    i thought miss money penny looked a bit tipsy at the very end of the show ( after the party in the castle) lol
    Finally debt free, all thanks to this site and all the posters
    • karren
    • By karren 6th Dec 12, 10:07 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    it was a load of drivel, crepe paper is expensive these days so unless lying around your better off in poundshop
    • vikki_louise
    • By vikki_louise 6th Dec 12, 11:38 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    You mean you don't??
    Originally posted by Bennifred
    I would darling but one is a bit too busy to go to many jumble sales selling Sharon osbournes clothes as one is too busy shooting deer on ones estate and having my hired help bake a rank looking pie....
    Best wins in 2013 200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with 300 vouchers plus 1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through
    • LadyCoupon
    • By LadyCoupon 7th Dec 12, 3:31 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 5,127 Thanks
    I had to laugh at Lady PoshBird with her second hand fur coat and her top Xmas tips - use game from your grounds for a pie and a Christmas tree from the estate. I'm sure my local council will be thrilled when I start taking a tree from the estate...
    Originally posted by LutonGirl
    I laughed out loud at this sooooooooo funny!

I have to agree with most of the comments here, I watch this programme but some of the tips are just ridiculous.
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 7th Dec 12, 7:55 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    I never waste pea sized bits of marzipan - I eat them!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

372Posts Today

1,305Users online

Martin's Twitter