IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Super Scrimpers
Views: 270,678
# 1641
hilstep2000
Old 05-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

When they said that dress cost 250 and worked out at $5 per wearing I laughed!
I too love designer clothes, but I buy mine on Ebay! I bought a beautiful Condici dress and jacket, Jacques Vert hat, shoes and bag for my daughter's wedding two years ago. The dress and jacket were 25 instead of 400 and the hat, shoes and bag were 15 instead of 300
You just need to be savvy!

Hated the cereal box necklace and the heart decorations too. Waste of time watching it.
I Believe in saving money!!!
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilstep2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1642
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutonGirl View Post
I had to laugh at Lady PoshBird with her second hand fur coat and her top Xmas tips - use game from your grounds for a pie and a Christmas tree from the estate. I'm sure my local council will be thrilled when I start taking a tree from the estate...

Pick the wrong Estate and you'd be needing a shotgun.

Which could end up with you bagging a couple of bull terriers for the pot, I suppose. Nobody in law enforcement would notice a mad woman wrapped in a dead animal carrying a shotgun and Mickey Wells from number 52's Christmas Tree, would they?
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1643
rosie383
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo the Tightfisted View Post
Mickey Wells
????????

Okay, You've lost me!! Had a quick Google and got nowt!!
March Grocery Challenge 130/ 240
NSD 0

Do not look down upon anybody unless you are helping them up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1644
sonastin
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maman View Post
I find the best way to watch is to record and then wind fast through all the stupid bits, repeated bits (for those with the attention span of a gnat), patronising bits etc. It doesn't take long to watch!
How to superscrimp a TV series...
shoot 15 minutes of footage
record 30 minutes of voice over
edit in different combinations to make an hours show
re-edit in more different combinations to make another hours show to sell again for broadcast when the schedules are a bit bare
use all 15 minutes of footage to make 15 different trailers to advertise the show in the hope that the audience will think that there is lots more to it
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sonastin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1645
CupOfChai
Old 05-12-2012, 1:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm wondering what sort of car boot sales have got Sharon Osbourne's old clothes!

Wasn't keen on that homemade cracker either, I'm sure you could make much nicer looking ones. And it didn't have a bang!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CupOfChai For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1646
Frugalista
Old 05-12-2012, 1:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was gagging watching the Duchess and the old popstar making pastry/gingerbread both with handfuls of rings on . There was pastry stuck all over them. Yeuch!!!
"Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frugalista For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1647
ginnyknit
Old 05-12-2012, 1:24 PM

Naff was the word that came to mind! I think one may have slightly different jumble sales in those parts Round here they could smell the 250 in your pocket and you would have it lifted pretty damn quick.

I recorded it luckily so I could fast forward the 'Agadoo' bits, of which there were many

Im sorry but if they think that much of that was of any use to us in the real world then they are sadly mistaken. Just pop on the celebration thread and see the quality of gifts being made by MSE'ers for pennies - good enough for Harrods.My family love my HM gifts and I wouldnt dare wrap up the junk they showed last night.

And they never once mentioned the many uses of Fleece - we all use it on MSE...wanders off to check the light bulbs in my chandalier....
Running on optimism
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
Mantra for 2014 - put that penny in the pot.
Debt overpayment saving pot 105/500
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ginnyknit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1648
Eenymeeny
Old 05-12-2012, 1:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who thought this was absolute rubbish! I tried to watch it once before and gave up halfway through (well nearly!) Seeing that it was a Christmas show I thought that I'd give it another try...
Bring back Shirley Goode with her Christmas budget tips on Pebble Mill!
Now I'm showing my age! (She still blogs if anyone would like to take a look)
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eenymeeny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1649
russetred
Old 05-12-2012, 2:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It was utter drivel! DH was getting really fed up with the agadoo crowd.He reckoned the buffet they provided wasnt going to be instead of their usual outrageous do at their local it would just be as well as. Fools and money he was muttering as he left the room. I decided to make him the Xmas hairband as I know he'll be soooo impressed.
ANNUAL GC 2578.40 /3760

"Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to russetred For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1650
jackel
Old 05-12-2012, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi everyone - Had a giggle at your comments. Have got it recorded but shall scrimp and save the leccy by not bothering. Do so agree with Jackie O that there is a huge potential audience out there. I think they are just taking the mickey out of people like us.

Jac xx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jackel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1651
purple.sarah
Old 05-12-2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley_crow View Post
I almost had a heart attack when that woman took scissors to a book. Definitely won't be trying that one.

The game pie looked horrible. Of course, one tends not to have excess game birds on one's grounds in these parts.
I quite liked the finished decoration though, I might try it as I love books but I have lots and some are worn out and too tatty for the charity shop, it's better than throwing them away. I guess you could also use newspaper.
Make 5 a day in July: 169.66/155
Make 10 a day in August: 296.98/310
The Following User Says Thank You to purple.sarah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1652
luxor4t
Old 05-12-2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupOfChai View Post
......Wasn't keen on that homemade cracker either, I'm sure you could make much nicer looking ones. And it didn't have a bang!

The HM crackers infuriated me - I'm all for 'as good or better' HM items, but crackers that don't crack? forget it! They looked like a nursery school effort, not from an adult.

I buy my crackers in January for around 1.25 a box. The carp inside is part of the fun - love the fortune fish and the little whistles etc.
Find Money on Your Street 2009 - date: 77.64
Ditched in 2014: 568
Citizen of Limbo.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to luxor4t For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1653
newgirly
Old 05-12-2012, 5:21 PM

The crackers were terrible I agree, and probably cost way more than a cheap supermarket box.
MFW 21 MFI3T3 82

2014- 15,000...... 14,891.90/ 15,000
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to newgirly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1654
sarahg1969
Old 05-12-2012, 9:11 PM

Don't forget - don't waste that pea-sized piece of marzipan. Go out and buy three different bottles of food colouring, and you can make a single penguin cake decoration.

Honestly, I've never seen such crap in my life. They tell you stuff that everyone should already know, or show you how to save money by spending even more (on food colourings, almond oil, ribbons, spray paints or whatever), or show you real 'bargains' like 250 fur coats. Actually what I loved was the fact that the Duchess wore that designer dress at least 50 times; and she had a rack of them. She could save a bit by going out less!

And if I ever gave anyone a piece of cereal box for Christmas, they'd either think one of my children had made it at nursery, or probably never speak to me again.

My favourite ever was the home-made tomato ketchup, for which you only needed 6 large tomatoes and an entire afternoon in the kitchen. And you ended up with less than you get in a sachet at Morrison's cafe.

It's one of the most ludicrous programmes I've ever seen. Which is a shame; I feel it has potential.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1655
THIRZAH
Old 05-12-2012, 9:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had the same thought about the marzipan-I suppose it would be ok if you already had the food colouring but otherwise it would probably cost more than buying a ready made decoration.

We've made crackers in the past-from a kit which obviously cost more than scraps of crepe paper and toilet roll middles but at least they did go bang. I found that buying the little gifts for the middle cost quite a bit and was just one more thing to do at Christmas so now we buy crackers in January when they are reduced.

Why can't they come up with some decent ideas for crafts etc. The recipes are usually ok but I stopped making presents out of cereal packets when I left primary school.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to THIRZAH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1656
redsquarelady
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i thought miss money penny looked a bit tipsy at the very end of the show ( after the party in the castle) lol
Finally debt free, all thanks to this site and all the posters
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redsquarelady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1657
karren
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

it was a load of drivel, crepe paper is expensive these days so unless lying around your better off in poundshop
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to karren For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1658
vikki_louise
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennifred View Post
You mean you don't??
I would darling but one is a bit too busy to go to many jumble sales selling Sharon osbournes clothes as one is too busy shooting deer on ones estate and having my hired help bake a rank looking pie....
Best wins in 2013 200, Mini IPad and bunting from the Olympics.

Best wins in 2014- still waiting for a win!

Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vikki_louise For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1659
LadyCoupon
Old 07-12-2012, 3:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutonGirl View Post
I had to laugh at Lady PoshBird with her second hand fur coat and her top Xmas tips - use game from your grounds for a pie and a Christmas tree from the estate. I'm sure my local council will be thrilled when I start taking a tree from the estate...
I laughed out loud at this sooooooooo funny!

I have to agree with most of the comments here, I watch this programme but some of the tips are just ridiculous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyCoupon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1660
DianneB
Old 07-12-2012, 7:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I never waste pea sized bits of marzipan - I eat them!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DianneB For This Useful Post: Show me >>