Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 7th Nov 12, 4:07 PM
    • 2,155Posts
    • 2,599Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    Scammed.......
    • 7th Nov 12, 4:07 PM
    Scammed....... 7th Nov 12 at 4:07 PM
    Just a quick word of warning.....
    My son told me he wanted to buy a mobile phone 2nd hand and that there is a section on facebook where you can buy and sell locally. He found one for 40 and seeing as it was just down the road handed over 40 cash.

Got home and realised there was no sim so went and purchased one from the shop (1) popped new sim in....nothing....usually a few txts come through with the new settings on so we waited 24hrs.

After this time and still no txtx i called Tmobile for him and after 2HRS (most of which was them trying to get me to purchase a bolt on for said phone) they told me it had been blocked and therefore had been reposrted lost or stolen!!!!!

Obviously when contacting the 'seller' they said it was 'nothing to do with them' and they were 'selling it for a friend' Yeh right.

Valuable lesson learnt for my 15 yr old!!!
    Last edited by sistafromanothermista; 08-11-2012 at 2:25 PM. Reason: sorry put ebay instead of facebook
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
Page 2
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 9th Nov 12, 4:55 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    Thanks for all the replies. The police have advised me to report it, however, DS has smashed the phone up to sell bits off it! so may not do this now...
    I will definately do the letter thing though Sunflower, if nothing else hopefully it will sh!! her up enough never to do it again!
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • heather66
    i hope you posted a warning comment on the facebook buy / sell webpage you bought it from ,.. i know it states on ours that you buy at your own risk but shocking how these scammers think they can get sell a dodgy / stolen / lost item for easy money and get away with it ..maybe not the first time they have done it ..i know you say it was only 40 but still a lot of money for someone trying to get a bargain
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 12:52 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista

I have been stewing on this for a while now....
    I was going to post a letter through their door saying;

'
    NOTICE OF COURT ACTION

This notice is to advise I will be seeking legal action regarding the illegal sale of a mobile phone from this address.

The cost of 40 which was paid by us for a phone which was stolen.
    We are in receipt of all emails and correspondence sent by you relating to the item.

The police have also been informed.

As the Blackberry was sold to someone under the age of 18 (therefore a minor) all correspondence MUST legally go through me.
    If you wish to resolve this matter by way of refund of money without court proceedings being actioned then contact me on the email address below.
    If we do not hear from you within 14 days I will seek legal action against you to recover money paid.

Any correspondence from you to the Facebook user who, as noted , is under 18 will be classed as harassment.'

What do you guys think? i obviously don't want to do anything myself which is not considered legal.
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• DUTR
    And someone didn't consider the 40 a bit too much of a bargain?
    I think you could land yourself in trouble.
    Seek legal advice on how to proceed, though you may have to just write the episode off to experience.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 5th Dec 12, 12:58 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,475 Thanks
    warehouse
    You said your Son has broken up the phone to sell off bits. How can you pursue a refund for a stolen phone when knowingly selling parts of it?
    Pants
  • spacey2012
    If your son is selling on the phone parts, he would be handling stolen goods if the phone is nicked.
    Just because you paid money, it does not make the item yours to sell.
    I would contact the police with the phone details and report it as sold under good faith but you later suspect the item was stolen.
    Only takes the first seller to be pulled in and say I sold it to so and so.
    Bit of a mess I am afraid, so if you have the police involved, get the phone back together and see what they want to do first.
    Just Opinion...
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 1:01 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    And someone didn't consider the 40 a bit too much of a bargain?
    I think you could land yourself in trouble.
    Seek legal advice on how to proceed, though you may have to just write the episode off to experience.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    No, it was quite an old bb bold.
    That's what i'm worried about (the getting myself in trouble bit)
    I thought i'd give it a last ditch attempt if i could to get the back, although you're probably right about writing it off.....

Thanks
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 1:02 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    You said your Son has broken up the phone to sell off bits. How can you pursue a refund for a stolen phone when knowingly selling parts of it?
    Originally posted by warehouse

Hi warehouse, he didn't sell any of it in the end as that's what i thought, and didn't want to have anything to do with it. DH took a hammer to it to stop it being sold on (DS might have 'sold' it onto a friend little sod )
    I just hate the thought she got away with it IYSWIM,...
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 1:04 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    If your son is selling on the phone parts, he would be handling stolen goods if the phone is nicked.
    Just because you paid money, it does not make the item yours to sell.
    I would contact the police with the phone details and report it as sold under good faith but you later suspect the item was stolen.
    Only takes the first seller to be pulled in and say I sold it to so and so.
    Bit of a mess I am afraid, so if you have the police involved, get the phone back together and see what they want to do first.
    Just Opinion...
    Originally posted by spacey2012

spacey....
    at phone back together, i'd have to superglue the fragments
    I hate scammers maybe i'm too honest to believe anyone would do this to a child in the first place!!
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• lurvlyloz
    my 2 pennies worht....trwo the phone away. learn a lesson and move on. yes its rubbish...but reporting it to the police probably wont do alot & i wouldnt want the hassle and the worry
    Facing up to things - nov 2012 total 9334.95
    back to work after baby -Jan 2014 - total 6905.28 (1 credit card) 3795

Debt Free Date March 8th 2017 (31st birthday)
  • laptop80
    I'd put it down to experience to be honest. There are too many posts on here where people have gone to the police and the offenders have made their life hell - vandalising their property, telling everyone in the neighbourhood they are a 'grass', threats of (or actual) physical violence. Is it worth risking that kind of hassle for you and your family for 40?

I can see how you would be annoyed, so would I, but given the potential problems and the fact the phone in question has now been smashed up, I'd suggest the most rational option is to move on and consider it a lesson learned for your son that things aren't always as they appear and if it's too good to be true it probably is - if he gets the message now then a 40 phone is a cheaper way of learning it than buying a dodgy car or a problematic house.
  • StressedSteph
    If you still had the phone, then the letter you wrote through their door would be a very good idea. but sure the police would want the phone and it gets very messy if you haven't got the phone to show them.

Too late now I feel. Just the joy of teenagers i'm afraid
    Argos 395 / Barclays 850 / Next 1972 Littlewoods (2479)
    Barclay cc (1852) - 1130 / Overdraft (3264) - 854 /
    Virgin CC (4371)-1698 / Tesco CC (5336) - 3817
    LBM Dec 2013 20,519 - August 2015 - 7,499.
    Paid off 61%
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 1:24 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    If you still had the phone, then the letter you wrote through their door would be a very good idea. but sure the police would want the phone and it gets very messy if you haven't got the phone to show them.

Too late now I feel. Just the joy of teenagers i'm afraid
    Originally posted by StressedSteph

Isn't it just
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• owen_money
    My son was recently scammed. He was taking our cow to market when he met a person who said he would give my son some 'magic beans' in exchange for the cow and my son agreed. I went mad when he returned without any money and only these so called 'magic beans' and through them out of the window into the garden, however one of the beans has started to grow.

Teenagers!
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 5th Dec 12, 1:48 PM
    • 12,236 Posts
    • 59,081 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    my 2 pennies worht....trwo the phone away. learn a lesson and move on. yes its rubbish...but reporting it to the police probably wont do alot & i wouldnt want the hassle and the worry
    Originally posted by lurvlyloz
    Agree .... hopefully he's learned a very valuable lesson.

It's carp but most of us have been scammed at some point or another ..... forget about it!
    Back on the frugal MSE journey
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #76 375 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 350.28 / 1,000
  • DebtClearer
    You just handled stolen goods! Definitely don't sell parts of them on, straight away you realised you should have given all detaiils and the phone to the police, they might have been able to get it back to the owner.
    LBM - DEBTS @ 06/01/14 - 20,577.79
    CURRENT DEBTS @ 21,181.57 LEGAL DEBTS@6,839.12
    SAVINGS @ LBM - 3.93/15000
    CURRENT SAVING @ - 90/15,000
    CLEAR DEBT AND GET HOUSE DEPOSIT BY XMAS 2017!

• sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 2:26 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    My son was recently scammed. He was taking our cow to market when he met a person who said he would give my son some 'magic beans' in exchange for the cow and my son agreed. I went mad when he returned without any money and only these so called 'magic beans' and through them out of the window into the garden, however one of the beans has started to grow.

Teenagers!
    Originally posted by owen_money

He'd probably do this too
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 5th Dec 12, 2:28 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    You just handled stolen goods! Definitely don't sell parts of them on, straight away you realised you should have given all detaiils and the phone to the police, they might have been able to get it back to the owner.
    Originally posted by DebtClearer

I know debtclearer, i'm now a criminal
    Thing is i say it was reported 'stolen' it may have been reported lost (just read something on another forum) so i may not be a criminal after all <phew>
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

• COMPETITIONFANATIC
    Sorry but you are because if somone reports their phone lost and another perosn finds the phone and dosent hand it in to the police this is classed as Theft by finding and is an arrestable offence !! sorry !

from wiki Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended.[1] In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding
    • sistafromanothermista
    • By sistafromanothermista 8th Dec 12, 10:38 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    sistafromanothermista
    Sorry but you are because if somone reports their phone lost and another perosn finds the phone and dosent hand it in to the police this is classed as Theft by finding and is an arrestable offence !! sorry !

from wiki Theft by finding occurs when someone who chances upon an object which seems abandoned takes possession of the object but fails to take steps to establish whether the object is abandoned and not merely lost or unattended.[1] In some jurisdictions the crime is called "larceny by finding" or "stealing by finding
    Originally posted by COMPETITIONFANATIC

Well that's very nice. Considering it's been smashed into 1000 pieces there is not a great deal i can do about it.
    Plus i didn't find it. We bought it. Unknowingly . Already reported to police who said nothing about bringing phone into station (before it was smashed)

As an addition. Don't believe everything you read on wiki. It can be edited by ANYONE!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sistafromanothermista; 08-12-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,885Posts Today

7,841Users online

Martin's Twitter