Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Music MoneySaving > help with acoustic guitar for 13 yr old (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
help with acoustic guitar for 13 yr old
Views: 1,655
# 1
WOW Factor 0
malebolge
Old 29-11-2012, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default help with acoustic guitar for 13 yr old

Could anyone give me any advice about the sort of acoustic guitar to buy for a 13 year old girl?

She's had a few music lessons at school and has decided she wants her own guitar for Christmas so she can practice. Both her mum and I are a bit skint, so can't pay a fortune. We also have a feeling she might not carry it on as she does so many other things (club swimming...Thai kick boxing...hockey...) but she's smitten with learning atm

I've had a look through another thread, and know that a real good one will be out of my price range as they were on about ones that cost round 500. But has anyone any suggestions for one that will be ok? Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
SailorSam
Old 29-11-2012, 4:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think if your daughter is only a beginner and you're not so sure she'll stick at it, you're best looking on Amazon where they start around 50, you can always move up market if she finds she likes it.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MINMOUSE
Old 29-11-2012, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

www.normans.co.uk are good for instruments.
The Following User Says Thank You to MINMOUSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
laurel7172
Old 29-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Lidl often sell them for around 30 in the run up to Christmas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laurel7172 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
InsertWittyName
Old 30-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It really depends on your budget.

For a nice sounding, reasonably cheap guitar you can't go wrong with a Fender dreadnought (3 colours available too) http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-cd-60...ed-black/50840
I was a DFW, now I'm a MFW
The Following User Says Thank You to InsertWittyName For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
richard734
Old 30-11-2012, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Argos do some decent beginners guitars - my DD's first was from there and lasted her 2 years - she still has it as a spare after she was given a really expensive one as a gift.
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ic+guitars%7C1
The Following User Says Thank You to richard734 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
strewth71
Old 30-11-2012, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We got a lovely one off ebay for a tenner. I wasnt sure what we were looking for exactly but I think that as long as its nylon strings rather than steel till her fingers toughen up from playing and a real guitar not a toy one you should be fine.

Our 9 year old has started to learn and we thought we would spend some money on lessons each week - 15 for an hour, we found her teacher on gumtree and we stay with her for the lesson. Her teacher is fab and she has said that the guitar we bought is a lovely one. I am glad we bought the cheap guitar and have used the extra money for lessons as it is keeping her interested, she is learning so much quicker than she would have learning from the internet.

Good luck with the search x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strewth71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
cod3
Old 30-11-2012, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Is she learning to play acoustic or classical? The acoustic guitars are narrower in the neck for playing chords. The classical have a wider neck to make is easier for classical fingerpicking style playing. My son is nearly 13 and has just moved up to a full sized classical as he grew too big for his 3/4 sized one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cod3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
GlynD
Old 30-11-2012, 12:53 PM
PPR

Something around 100 will be fine for a learner. As cod3 says above though be sure not to buy a classical style guitar. The neck on these is very wide. It's hard to describe to somepone what the difference is but if you post your choice here someone will help you out. Amazon has a few nice ones some of which were posted on here by another lady the other day and we all thought they were just fine.
# 10
GlynD
Old 30-11-2012, 12:56 PM
PPR

This one would be fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
The Following User Says Thank You to GlynD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
malebolge
Old 30-11-2012, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks so much for all the replies. I've a budget of about 150 tops to include a bag etc, and have spent an age looking at ones you've recommended. The yamaha from amazon looks good - I'm now torn between that and a Fender CD 60. I'm wondering what difference a 'dreadnought' design is - are they much bigger? It's acoustic not classical she's learning. Again, I really do appreciate all the advice.
# 12
Money maker
Old 30-11-2012, 1:31 PM

We got our son his from www.dolphinmusic.co.uk which he still has although he's moved over to electric guitar now.

Cheapest lessons for us was through the music service at school.
Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
# 13
GlynD
Old 30-11-2012, 1:36 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by malebolge View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies. I've a budget of about 150 tops to include a bag etc, and have spent an age looking at ones you've recommended. The yamaha from amazon looks good - I'm now torn between that and a Fender CD 60. I'm wondering what difference a 'dreadnought' design is - are they much bigger? It's acoustic not classical she's learning. Again, I really do appreciate all the advice.
The name Fender is a byword for excellence in guitars. A Fender CD60 would be an excellent choice.

"Dreadnought" guitars are, as you thought, slightly larger than standard size. Bigger tone but bigger body. The neck will be the same size (it has to be) as other guitars.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlynD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
A. Badger
Old 01-12-2012, 2:26 PM

Dreadnought sized guitars are not always suitable for girls (nor even some adults) due to their bulk. They are also more suited to strumming than fingerstyle playing. Indeed, the Dreadnought was introduced to enable the acoustic guitar to be heard above the din produced by the other band instruments, around the turn of the 19th/20th century.

Unless she specifically wanted a big, bassy sound and didn't mind the cumbersome body size, I would be looking for what is sometimes called a 'Folk' sized acoustic for her. Most of the better makers offer all sorts of body styles beyond the Dreadnought.

As for Fender being a 'byword for excellence' in guitars I'm afraid it isn't. It is a large corporation which has guitars made all around the world by any number of suppliers, destined to sell at every price level. Some are good, some are excellent and some are less so.

If I were buying an acoustic guitar for a girl (or anyone else) I would take the lucky recipient to a shop where they could sit and try a variety to find the one that suited them best.

You will also get professional advice from a proper retailer who will explain to you the reasons why buying the biggest brand names doesn't always get you the best product.

That said, if you want it to be a surprise, the Yamaha F310 could be a good choice., It has a slightly smaller body and shorter scale, which would tend to suit a female player and comes from one of the best acoustic brands. That's a cracking price Amazon is selling it for, by the way!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A. Badger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
tyllwyd
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM

I'd second going to your local music shop - she can try them out, and see which one she likes in your budget.
# 16
evigilo
Old 05-12-2012, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've just bought my daughter the Fender Starcaster Accoustic for 99.99 from Argos after asking her head of music at school. She is a beginner. There are various offers that go with it eg half price case or stand. I also bought when the spend 100 get a 10 voucher offer was on and with the half price stand, I qualified and got my voucher.
# 17
OneYorkshireLass
Old 05-12-2012, 4:42 PM

Tesco has a decent range at decent prices ...
http://www.tesco.com/direct/sports-l...tId=4294892153
#TeamCarter
# 18
grahawk
Old 05-12-2012, 9:25 PM

I agree about dreadnoughts. I don't think it would be a could choice. The Yamaha is decent, although the two I've seen had a very high string height above the neck which needs fixing, but I would go for Vintage V300 - this is well regarded but cheap and has a smaller body type.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vintage-v300-folk-natural/17993
# 19
jpwjpw
Old 18-01-2013, 10:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There is definitely no substitute for going to a music shop and trying them.

Guitars come in lots of different shapes and it's worth making sure she gets one that is comfortable and sounds good.
# 20
Judi
Old 18-01-2013, 1:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

We bought our son an acoustic guitar for his birthday which was just after Christmas. We took him to a music shop though as we hadnt got a clue as to what we were buying and i dont think he did either. They gave us lots of advice and help choosing the right one so i would suggest you start at a place where they know the sort of thing your looking for.

I didnt know they did 4 string guitars as well as 6. I thought they were all the same.

As you can tell. I'm not very musical.
'Holy crap on a cracker!'