Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Great 'big brand alternatives' Hunt (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Great 'big brand alternatives' Hunt
Closed Thread
Views: 9,306
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Former MSE Debs
Old 30-11-2012, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Great 'big brand alternatives' Hunt

Great 'big brand alternatives' Hunt

It's easy to fall into the trap of always opting for big brands - they're convenient, familiar and have huge marketing budgets behind them.

Yet there are decent alternatives at a fraction of the price, such as Mega Bloks instead of Lego, 2.99 light diffusing concealer instead of 26 Yves Saint Laurent or the Line Up 4 board game instead of Connect 4. What are your tried and tested big brand alternatives?

View all past Great Hunts

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Wendy; 04-12-2012 at 9:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Former MSE Debs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
VT82
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am quite enjoying my X-Bolt from Lidl (rip off of Hugo Boss bottled but only 3.99 for 50ml). The bottle's too ugly to give as a Christmas gift though!

And their Suddenly Madame Glamour is a well known cheaper alternative to Chanel Madamemoiselle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VT82 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
VT82
Old 05-12-2012, 9:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ooh ooh ooh one more good one! Not exactly a gift idea but a real money saver for me.

I got into taking Berocca daily because of my immune system, but even if your immune system is fine, they are great for perking you up (I don't go near energy drinks), and for hangovers and fighting colds.

They might always be on 3-for-2, but is still always at least 4+ for a tube of 15. Instead, buy 'Energy Release' - it has exactly the same percentages of every active ingredient, it just leaves a tiny bit more residue in the glass. I kept my old Berocca tubes as they were emptied, and just started decanting Energy Release into them, so now they are indistinguishable to me. And the best part is the price; about 1.69 for a tube of 20 in B&M bargains, but I stocked up recently in Savers at 99p a tube! Great for the winter months, and for the New Year's Day hangover
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VT82 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mgfarley
Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I take 2 caffeine tablets every morning to kick start my day (I don't like the taste of tea, coffee or energy drinks and drinking cola first thing in the morning just feels wrong).

Anyway, Poundland sells 'power kick' in packs of 30 (3p per tablet). Boots sells pro plus for 2.55 for 36 tablets (7p per tablet). They both contain the same amount of caffeine, so no competition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgfarley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Uniscots97
Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

M&S Isis perfume instead of Issey Miyake. Still nice as a gift but a lot cheaper!
2014 in 2014 = 2089.52 - 14025.96 / 13694.07. The Other One: 12042.8111540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
The Following User Says Thank You to Uniscots97 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
naggy
Old 05-12-2012, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default brand swops

I have to agree, M&S perfumes are brill!!
The Following User Says Thank You to naggy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
starrygazer
Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Stickle Bricks

Instead of Stickle Bricks which have poor reviews on Amazon, try Thistle Blocks. We've ordered a bucket of them for our two and a half year old grandson for Christmas and they look OK
# 8
jenniewb
Old 07-12-2012, 4:34 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thorntons is similar to M&S (or the same or at least very very similar!) according to a chocolate fanatic family member of mine.

Apparently Chanel are something to do with Bojours but what I will say is...not in my experience! I wear mascara every day and if I wear Bojous mascara, it crumbles and flakes as the day goes on. I wear rimless glasses and they are now ruined due to these flakes being trapped in the invisitble wires arond the lenses. A year ago my mum bought me a Chanel mascara. I loved it and there were absolutly no flakes at all. I know they are made by the same brand but they really are not the same product.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for those mini caffeine drinks? Lucosade Alert used to make them and there are a few brands sold in places like Holland and Barratt. But they all cost around 2 which is way too much- even a fresh coffee is cheaper! I prefer the versions which don't taste like Red Bull (I hate the taste and can't stand the smell!)
# 9
quinechinoise
Old 08-12-2012, 1:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sainsbury's unicorn ponies instead of My Little Pony.

Is it just me or are the modern My Little Pony toys really hideous and distorted compared to the old ones of my childhood? They used to look like fairly normal horses and now they have long spindly legs and huge scary eyes! The Sainsbury's own brand ones look like the ponies I remember.
# 10
mand-mcr
Old 11-12-2012, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Anyone who is a fan of Ralph Lauren 'Romance' or Chloe should try Next Perfumes. Pretty in Pink is exactly like 'Romance' and London is just like Chloe. Both reasonably priced at approx 12 for 100ml
# 11
juliamarsh
Old 12-12-2012, 8:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default M&S chocolate

[QUOTE=jenniewb;57765415]Thorntons is similar to M&S (or the same or at least very very similar!) according to a chocolate fanatic family member of mine.

Haven't bought choc from M&S from a while but my uncle worked as their solicitor before he retired and he confirmed to me that they sold Thorntons and Lindt chocolate but with their own wrapping on - it was about 2/3 of the price of the actual named choc too! That was some years ago now but presume it is still the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to juliamarsh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
stroppy cow
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Please - what is the 2.99 light diffusing concealer instead of the Yves St Laurent concealer? I have been asked for this for Christmas!
# 13
squirrel
Old 12-12-2012, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ballycastle Irish Cream Liqueur from Aldi is apparently supposed to be very similar to Baileys and a lot cheaper. I haven't tried it yet - so if anyone has please confirm!
# 14
sobeitjedi
Old 12-12-2012, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Ballycastle Irish Cream Liqueur from Aldi is apparently supposed to be very similar to Baileys and a lot cheaper. I haven't tried it yet - so if anyone has please confirm!
Ballycastle is lovely. We've had people round and offered them a Baileys and they've not noticed. It tastes the same to me, but I think the alcohol content is maybe a % less.
# 15
mippy
Old 12-12-2012, 5:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinechinoise View Post
Sainsbury's unicorn ponies instead of My Little Pony.

Is it just me or are the modern My Little Pony toys really hideous and distorted compared to the old ones of my childhood? They used to look like fairly normal horses and now they have long spindly legs and huge scary eyes! The Sainsbury's own brand ones look like the ponies I remember.
They're to tie in with the modern animated series. Which, apparently, a huge amount of adult men really like - so the toys are popular with 'bronies'.
# 16
missy80
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

B & M or Poundland do "fake dont bake" i have been told its same as fake bake. i was also told from a friend who works with Next, that Adsa gets their clothes from Next!! n Far cheaper.
# 17
jenniewb
Old 13-12-2012, 2:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroppy cow View Post
Please - what is the 2.99 light diffusing concealer instead of the Yves St Laurent concealer? I have been asked for this for Christmas!
Do you mean the Touch Eclait? Its not a concealer, its a highlighter- it wont hide things but does brighten things (don't use it under your eyes then go sit infront of a camera with a flash or wear for a wedding where you'll be photographed...!)

The one most people seem to rate is by Aldi but many others say its nothing like the same. There is no Aldi near me for me to sample it and rate for myself so I can't give my own opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to jenniewb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
stroppy cow
Old 13-12-2012, 8:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Jenniwb - thanks so much for this. I will have a look at Aldi today though it seems I may be looking at the wrong thing. It is Touche Eclait I have been asked for!
# 19
sharon7
Old 13-12-2012, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Jenniwb - thanks so much for this. I will have a look at Aldi today though it seems I may be looking at the wrong thing. It is Touche Eclait I have been asked for!
Hi

I heard the superdrug one is very similar.

S
# 20
annieb_101
Old 20-12-2012, 10:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
i think its the collection 2000 lasting perfection concealer lots of beauty people on youtube rave about it and i love it

also collection 2000 do the light diffusing concealer too in a pen form but i haven't used it. some people use the YSL for a concelaer some use it as a highlighter but these two prodcuts are very very similar xxx
i'm a student AND good with my money

Last edited by annieb_101; 20-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to annieb_101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread