IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
RMA Resolve
Closed Thread
Views: 8,876
# 1
mm2000
Old 02-07-2007, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default RMA Resolve

Luckily, they only get to leave a recorded message, and it's only about once a week, so not too bad, but they are really getting annoying. I've increased my repayment, and I've asked for confirmation of outstanding balance, even providing them with a stamped addressed envelope to reply by letter but still they insist on ringing. I've not rung them back though. Any suggestions on how to deal with these "Numptys". I'm hoping to be able to make them a final settlement later in the year so don't want to upset them too much.
# 2
angelavdavis
Old 02-07-2007, 9:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Firstly, always send any correspondence recorded so they can't deny receiving the correspondence. Mention the fact that you have already provided them with an SAE, etc and the date of the previous letter sent.

Secondly, to get them off your phone line, you need to send a letter (again, recorded) asking for them to only contact you in future via letter. Here is a post we all assisted with for a lady that was being harrassed by Morgan Stanley constantly - it contains a letter template.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=482115

Finally, don't mention or promise to pay the balance - in case something else turns up. You are making regular payments and they will continue bullying you if you make promises to repay.
Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
# 3
mm2000
Old 02-07-2007, 9:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm sending them this perhaps a bit of blackmail will work.

RMA Resolve
PO Box 175
Old Docks House
90 Watery Lane
Preston,
Lancashire
PR2 1GN

02 July 2007
Re: _____ ________ account no. _______________
WITHOUT PREDJUDICE

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am offering to increase my monthly repayment on this account to £__.__ per calendar month. This is conditional however on the following:

1. You cease to make phone calls to me concerning my debt on this account for any and all reasons, no matter how urgent you feel they are. You will only make contact by letter and not expect me to telephone you.

2. You provide me with the outstanding balance information on the account, which I have previously have requested.

3 You also confirm that no interest charges have or will be added to the account as previously agreed when you took over the repayments from American Express.

As a good will gesture I will pay £__.__ for my July payment in anticipation of you meeting my requests. You have till no later than 02 August 2007 to reply to my letter. Please feel free to make use of the Stamped Addressed Envelope that was previously sent with May’s payment.

If I have not received written confirmation of the requested information, or if telephone calls should continue, I will take it you are refusing to accept this offer leaving me to resume my previous payment amount and take further action as mentioned in previous letters.

Yours Sincerely
# 4
mm2000
Old 02-07-2007, 9:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelavdavis View Post
Firstly, always send any correspondence recorded so they can't deny receiving the correspondence. Mention the fact that you have already provided them with an SAE, etc and the date of the previous letter sent.

Secondly, to get them off your phone line, you need to send a letter (again, recorded) asking for them to only contact you in future via letter. Here is a post we all assisted with for a lady that was being harrassed by Morgan Stanley constantly - it contains a letter template.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=482115

Finally, don't mention or promise to pay the balance - in case something else turns up. You are making regular payments and they will continue bullying you if you make promises to repay.
That link isn't working I'm afraid.

It's ok, I made a search and found it. Thanks.

Last edited by mm2000; 02-07-2007 at 10:04 AM.
# 5
RAS
Old 11-07-2007, 5:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Read this first

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ht=RMA+resolve
The Following User Says Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
RAS
Old 11-07-2007, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2000 View Post

Please NO - you probably owe them nothing, this is exactly what they want- and they will push for even more

RMA Resolve
PO Box 175
Old Docks House
90 Watery Lane
Preston,
Lancashire
PR2 1GN

02 July 2007

WITHOUT PREDJUDICE - this is no use

Dear Sir/Madam,

1. You cease to make phone calls to me concerning my debt on this account for any and all reasons, no matter how urgent you feel they are. You will only make contact by letter and not expect me to telephone you.

2. You provide me with the outstanding balance information on the account, which I have previously have requested.

3 You also confirm that no interest charges have or will be added to the account as previously agreed when you took over the repayments from American Express.

As a good will gesture I will pay £__.__ for my July payment in anticipation of you meeting my requests. You have till no later than 02 August 2007 to reply to my letter. Please feel free to make use of the Stamped Addressed Envelope that was previously sent with May’s payment.

If I have not received written confirmation of the requested information, or if telephone calls should continue, I will take it you are refusing to accept this offer leaving me to resume my previous payment amount and take further action as mentioned in previous letters.

Yours Sincerely
Will try and find the CCA request. Please do not pay anything or write anything meanwhile
# 7
AGB863
Old 11-07-2007, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have had fun with these guys today

They have been continually calling a client of mine who has major health problems and £40k of debts, and there debt is the smallest.

We arranged a repayment plan for them recently where all creditors had equitable distribution of available funds and RMA accepted this.

They contacted my client this week by letter saying they have a proposal to resolve the situation.

I call them up, on behalf of my client and they offered a 25% reduction of the outstanding amount for a full and final settlement on £6.5k.

I advised that my client could not do this.

They then went on to say they will continually call my client as they now want the account settled in full.

I then asked them to only to contact my client by writing due to is health, but the reply was, "sorry we can not do that as we are a telephone based company".

I replied "well how come you have written to my client and also to my self recently."The reply came back "we only contact people by phone."

I then replied - "so if i formally request that you only make contact with my client in writing and no further telephone calls, will you adhere to it?"

The reply was "sorry we can not do that as we are a telephoned based company" -

To which my reply was - "so you want to go against section 2.2.g of the Debt Collection Guidence as set down by the OFT?"

The call operator then put me on hold for 5 minutes and then came back and said she had talked to her manager and they were going to continue with the agreement for a further 6 months.

I think RMA need to update themselves on the guidence before talking to people

The Following User Says Thank You to AGB863 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
rog2
Old 11-07-2007, 5:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS View Post
Have bumped this thread up as it is an excellent reference for anyone unfortunate enough to have to deal with RMA.
I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
# 9
mm2000
Old 13-07-2007, 4:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2000 View Post

RMA Resolve
PO Box 175
Old Docks House
90 Watery Lane
Preston,
Lancashire
PR2 1GN

02 July 2007

WITHOUT PREDJUDICE

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am offering to increase my monthly repayment on this account to £__.__ per calendar month. This is conditional however on the following:

Yours Sincerely
Having sent the quoted letter and a cheque payment, I've just checked my bank account on line and they don't appear to have cashed the cheque yet. The cheque is made payable to the credit card company so there could be some delay in cashing it and it showing up on my bank account. Never noticed it taking this long before. I wonder if they'll try to make out they haven't recieved it just to make matters look worse for me. Payment isn't normaly due till the 14th anyway, I'd just sent it very early to be included with the letter just so when it's cashed I know they have received the letter. I didn't send the letter recorded delivery though. Is it possible to send letters recorded delivery to a PO Box?
# 10
Leixlip1
Old 13-07-2007, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just got inolved with them but am waiting for them to prove the debt i.e. CCA and deed of assignement. Interestingly my last two recorded delivery letters do not appear as delivered on Royal Mails "track n trace" system. Are RMA declining acceptance of my mail I wonder??
The Following User Says Thank You to Leixlip1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
mm2000
Old 16-07-2007, 9:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Can anyone give me the logistics (so to speak) of asking for a CCA and deed of assignment. How long do I need to give RMA to reply. If they don't reply what do I do next. Bearing in mind I hope to be debt free this year and offer settlement payments on all my debts.
# 12
mm2000
Old 16-07-2007, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm about to send off my request for a CCA and Statement of account. What is the next step if they don't send the requested info? I keep checking my bank account and they haven't cashed my last cheque that I sent on the 2nd of this month. It should have surely been cashed and cleared by now. My payment date was 14th so it looks like they are resorting to yet more childish games.
# 13
RAS
Old 16-07-2007, 4:51 PM

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number xxxxx.

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

You must keep the first sentence in even though you have been paying them.
The Following User Says Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread