Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Base rate held and no further QE

Options
"The Bank of England kept interest rates on hold at 0.5% today, despite growing pressure for more emergency support to aid the UK's faltering economy..."
Read the full story:
Base rate held and no further QE

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• DpchMd
    DpchMd Posts: 540 Forumite
    Options
    Darryl,

This is already being discussed here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4102849

No need for the duplicate thread.

Thanks.
    "Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship." - Benjamin Franklin
  • The-Joker
    The-Joker Posts: 718 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Darryl wrote: »
    "The Bank of England kept interest rates on hold at 0.5% today, despite growing pressure for more emergency support to aid the UK's faltering economy..."
    Read the full story:
    Base rate held and no further QE

OfficialStamp.gif

Whoever said no further QE, I don't belive you.
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The-Joker wrote: »
    Whoever said no further QE, I don't belive you.

Well, QE isn't working any way. The money is not flowing into the general economy.

I propose that the bank of England start a program of recruitment
    for hedonists, wastrels, rakes, reprobates, narcissists, gluttons and licentious womanisers. Like an intravenous drip, the money we give them will boost the economy straight away, unlike QE.
  • Mallotum_X
    Mallotum_X Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Well, QE isn't working any way. The money is not flowing into the general economy.

for hedonists, wastrels, rakes, reprobates, narcissists, gluttons and licentious womanisers. Like an intravenous drip, the money we give them will boost the economy straight away, unlike QE.

Where do i send my CV?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mallotum_X wrote: »
    Where do i send my CV?

Mervyn King "The Gov"
    Bank of England

Two references from disreputable barflies or worse.
  • chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

the money is flowing into the economy.

QE works thus:

bank A holds some gilts

boe buys bank A's gilts using money it has created

govt issues new gilts, bank A buys them with the money it received for the old ones.

government uses money it has borrowed from bank A to pay for things e.g. salaries of !!!!less NHS middle managers.
  • RenovationMan
    RenovationMan Posts: 4,227 Forumite
    Options
    WOW! An MSE bod ventured into the House Price ghetto to create a discussion thread for the wider MSE population. Wonders never cease!
  • purch
    purch Posts: 9,865 Forumite
    Options

As that is not the reason for QE, to say it isn't working is incorrect.
    'In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments - there are Consequences.'
  • Treadstone2.0
    Options
    purch wrote: »
    As that is not the reason for QE, to say it isn't working is incorrect.

Whatever reason you think QE is for it still is not working. It never has every time through history when governments expand the currency supply exponetially it always ends badly, it will this time.
    House Prices 2007/08 £200K, Silver £5oz
    Ratio 40,000 oz to 1 house.
    2012 Fallen to £160K, Silver risen to £20 per ounce. So house/silver ratio fallen to 8000.
    Prediction for the end of the decade, will keep falling at current rate until 1000 oz or less valued same as average house.
  • RenovationMan
    RenovationMan Posts: 4,227 Forumite
    Options
    Well we've not got deflation so I'd say QE was working ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure