IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Part-time student needs advise
Closed Thread
Views: 287
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 01-08-2012, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 20
Default Part-time student needs advise

After raising my child alone for 20 years and always working, I now have been offered a place at University. The degree is part time over 4 and 1/2 years and is an NHS course. So.........The tuition fees are paid by the NHS, I have an application in for the Bursary they award ( which doesn't even cover my rent) but what else can i get? I was working as a temp, but this ended 2 weeks ago so I have claimed JSA as a short term thing. As my daughter works, they take her income into account when calculating housing and council tax benefit and so half of my JSA will have to go on the shortfall . If I mention the University place they will put restrictions on my JSA, not that i want to be on this for long anyway. But........If i get a job, i won't get housing or council tax benefit and this will reduce the already small bursary as it is income related and is reduced because i am going to study part time. As a part time student i cannot get a maintenance loan or grant and i can't go to student finance as this is for tuition fees. HELP
masternails is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 01-08-2012, 1:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,765

Your daughter works so should be (is) able to pay her share of the rent and bills. If she is currently paying you nothing, or a nominal amount, now is the time to get her to pay her share.

If your degree is PT you can work PT, and FT during the holidays.

All students have this problem I'm afraid.......
19lottie82 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to 19lottie82 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Old 01-08-2012, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 20
Default Pt student needs advise


My daughter does contribute to bills etc, and I would prefer to work rather than be at home. I am just wondering if there are any other grants like one I saw on the Uni website for low income households I may be entitled to . I have asked the Uni finance dept but they just said they weren't sure.

I guess I need to sit down and do some lists and adding up on what i can live on. I would much rather work and have applied for over 40 jobs in the last few days.
masternails is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 01-08-2012, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,424

Hi OP,

This question has been asked many times before - spend some time reading through the archive of the Benefits and Student boards on this site and I am sure you will find the answers you need.
Acc72 is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 01-08-2012, 3:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,541

Couldn't you do the course full time so that you could get the loan, grant and bursary for it?
Dunroamin is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:24 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 25 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed