Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    masternails
    Part-time student needs advise
    • 1st Aug 12, 2:12 PM
    Part-time student needs advise 1st Aug 12 at 2:12 PM
    After raising my child alone for 20 years and always working, I now have been offered a place at University. The degree is part time over 4 and 1/2 years and is an NHS course. So.........The tuition fees are paid by the NHS, I have an application in for the Bursary they award ( which doesn't even cover my rent) but what else can i get? I was working as a temp, but this ended 2 weeks ago so I have claimed JSA as a short term thing. As my daughter works, they take her income into account when calculating housing and council tax benefit and so half of my JSA will have to go on the shortfall . If I mention the University place they will put restrictions on my JSA, not that i want to be on this for long anyway. But........If i get a job, i won't get housing or council tax benefit and this will reduce the already small bursary as it is income related and is reduced because i am going to study part time. As a part time student i cannot get a maintenance loan or grant and i can't go to student finance as this is for tuition fees. HELP
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,119Users online

Martin's Twitter