Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Sports and Fitness MoneySaving > Anyone been to Eton Dorney Rowing yet? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone been to Eton Dorney Rowing yet?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,550
# 1
debsjc
Old 28-07-2012, 5:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Anyone been to Eton Dorney Rowing yet?

I've got a general admission ticket for later in the week, and I was looking for some information. As it's the cheapest category, I know I do not have a grandstand seat, but not sure how it works.
Can we walk along the whole bank, or are we herded into a small crowded standing area?

If anyone has been would appreciate any info - thanks.
# 2
davidlizard
Old 28-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yep, went today. Despite being highly sceptical we had a great day out.

So for the OP, and anyone else who is going this way ......

We entered at the finish line end of the course, but I think there are other entrances depending how you get there.

The final 400m (1600m to 2000m on the course) of the course is surrounded by stands so you cannot go there on a general admittance ticket, but the bit from the 1500m mark to more or less the start line is open, so there is plenty of room. There is a slight bank which means you don't have to be right at the front to see. Most people stay in the 1200m-1500m region probably because its less of a walk and there is the big screen there.

Recommend go to about 1km down the course as its much less busy - there are no queues for the toilets, and queues for the food is are short (pasties are 5 which isn't too bad) - outside lunch times there was hardly a queue at all.

Water - there are huge queues for the very few taps to refill your bottles, but the water from the sinks in the toilets comes from the same feed apparently and is OK to drink.

Getting in: Got off packed train at Windsor Riverside and straight onto a bus (this was at 8am for 9:30 start) - the buses were being loaded and despatched almost as quick as they could get people onto them - it was a very efficient operation. (if you are arriving at Windsor and Eton Riverside, travel in the front carriage of the train - this will mean you should get to the buses first).

There is approx 1km walk from the bus drop off point to security - over 40 stations so no queue again - about 1 hour before the event started. Again very efficient.

Getting away - watched last race, hung around for about 20 minutes, then walked back to shuttle bus. Again people were being put on buses straight away so hardly any queue. And no queue at W&E Riverside.

Overall, found it an excellent well organised day out.

Things to be aware of: No lists of rowers available. Huge queues for water - use the taps in the toilets as that is drinking water. Huge queues for everything behind the stands - walk about 1km down the course and there are no queues - only one big screen (at approx 1500m) but the commentary from the speakers makes it easy to follow.

Have a great day out.

Last edited by davidlizard; 28-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davidlizard For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
PenD
Old 30-07-2012, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for this - very useful. Am going next week! Do you remember seeing any queues at the box office to collect tickets? I have to collect mine on the day.....
# 4
debsjc
Old 30-07-2012, 3:36 PM

Thank you very much davidlizard, really appreciate all the detailed info.
I'm walking in from the start line end, I don't like crowds so I'll stay more that end where it's quieter!
# 5
mark220994
Old 31-07-2012, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Eton Dorney - general admittance

Were you able to buy general admittance tickets on the day from Eton Dorney & where exactly did you buy them from them & how much did they cost. We're bothered where we are on the course, just to be there

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlizard View Post
Yep, went today. Despite being highly sceptical we had a great day out.

So for the OP, and anyone else who is going this way ......

We entered at the finish line end of the course, but I think there are other entrances depending how you get there.

The final 400m (1600m to 2000m on the course) of the course is surrounded by stands so you cannot go there on a general admittance ticket, but the bit from the 1500m mark to more or less the start line is open, so there is plenty of room. There is a slight bank which means you don't have to be right at the front to see. Most people stay in the 1200m-1500m region probably because its less of a walk and there is the big screen there.

Recommend go to about 1km down the course as its much less busy - there are no queues for the toilets, and queues for the food is are short (pasties are 5 which isn't too bad) - outside lunch times there was hardly a queue at all.

Water - there are huge queues for the very few taps to refill your bottles, but the water from the sinks in the toilets comes from the same feed apparently and is OK to drink.

Getting in: Got off packed train at Windsor Riverside and straight onto a bus (this was at 8am for 9:30 start) - the buses were being loaded and despatched almost as quick as they could get people onto them - it was a very efficient operation. (if you are arriving at Windsor and Eton Riverside, travel in the front carriage of the train - this will mean you should get to the buses first).

There is approx 1km walk from the bus drop off point to security - over 40 stations so no queue again - about 1 hour before the event started. Again very efficient.

Getting away - watched last race, hung around for about 20 minutes, then walked back to shuttle bus. Again people were being put on buses straight away so hardly any queue. And no queue at W&E Riverside.

Overall, found it an excellent well organised day out.

Things to be aware of: No lists of rowers available. Huge queues for water - use the taps in the toilets as that is drinking water. Huge queues for everything behind the stands - walk about 1km down the course and there are no queues - only one big screen (at approx 1500m) but the commentary from the speakers makes it easy to follow.

Have a great day out.
# 6
debsjc
Old 31-07-2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark220994 View Post
Were you able to buy general admittance tickets on the day from Eton Dorney & where exactly did you buy them from them & how much did they cost. We're bothered where we are on the course, just to be there

Thanks
I'm fairly certain you can only buy them in advance from http://www.tickets.london2012.com or one of the other European national websites.
For a session with finals in they are 50.
# 7
debsjc
Old 03-08-2012, 2:50 PM

Just back from the rowing, had a really good day. I had general admission, and it wasn't too busy around the 1250m mark.

I parked 15 min walk away, and it was great, no traffic and no park and ride bus. I would recommend it for the canoe sprint at Dorney

http://www.dorneyparking.co.uk/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to debsjc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
wobblegobble
Old 03-08-2012, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the parking tip. 15 though. Any idea if one could park at Eton College and walk across to Windsor to catch the shuttle bus? It's school holidays so would have hoped there would be some spaces available there somewhere!
Closed Thread