Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Hdot
    Mortgage beyond pension age?
    • 24th Jul 12, 9:14 AM
    Mortgage beyond pension age? 24th Jul 12 at 9:14 AM
    Hi,

Wondering how potential lenders might view our situation. First time buyers aged 38 and 53. I have probably at least 25 years of working life left, but my other half only has maybe 15 at most. He has no pension to look forward to other than state pension (if it still exists by then!). Incomes 32k/28k.

Is there any chance we'd get a mortgage over 20 or 25 years, in view of the fact we'd be down to one income for the last 5/10? Can a lender 'front-load' mortgage repayments so we pay back more in the first 15 years and less once we're on one income?

Or am I just being hopelessly unrealistic? I don't want to start looking into this seriously and get my hopes up if it's a complete non-starter.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

H.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

551Posts Today

4,022Users online

Martin's Twitter