Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Clear my mortgage with poverty or leave it for now?
    • 1st May 12, 11:28 PM
    Clear my mortgage with poverty or leave it for now? 1st May 12 at 11:28 PM
    Been saving to pay off my mortgage for 4 years now and have £40,000 left. If I save £1k a month, which means I will have to live extremely frugally for 3 years I will have it paid off in full.

Why am I doing this?

-To be financially free
    -To be able to go part time if I want to
    -To prepare on what I think will be a very hard few years coming in the economy

It has been hardwork and I have put most of my time into my home business and trying to build it up.

Is it time to live a little and take a break on saving or push on and get it paid off?
Page 1
    • ineed
    • By ineed 2nd May 12, 2:47 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 11,306 Thanks
    • 2nd May 12, 2:47 AM
    • 2nd May 12, 2:47 AM
    Hi, I'd personally save up to pay it off, I can't wait for the day I'm finally mortgage free. But it depends, you don't want to work yourself into an early grave. Maybe aim for paying off in full in five years rather than three? That way you have a bit of spare money from your wages if you should need it and it's only two extra years.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 2nd May 12, 8:58 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 3,806 Thanks
    • 2nd May 12, 8:58 AM
    • 2nd May 12, 8:58 AM
    If £1000 a month would be a struggle then aim for say £800, and add anything you have left at the end of the month. Although you want to get rid of it asap, there's no point living on the breadline, you still need to enjoy life a little!
  • hkminca
    • 2nd May 12, 10:15 PM
    • 2nd May 12, 10:15 PM
    Depends on how old you are! If you're still going to be young enough to enjoy yourself when you've paid it off, then maybe extend your deadline by a year or two. Or don't make overpayments for 2 months and use the money to go on holiday and have a bit of fun - 2 months extra is nothing on the mortgage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

596Posts Today

4,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Starting to get pumped up about the Davis cup - go GB!!! Come on Murrays

• RT @StigAbell: Protestors today shouting "no more wars". It would be lovely if life were as simple as that.

• RT @Stressed_Eric72: @MartinSLewis Well on that basis you'll end the series on a high note.

• Follow Martin