IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Right to travel expenses
Closed Thread
Views: 902
# 1
Chickola
Old 15-04-2012, 12:19 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Right to travel expenses

My employer asked me to attend a meeting for which I occurred 90 of travel expenses but is refusing to pay me anything for the cost.

This was travelling from my normal place of work to the meeting and is just the amount of petrol used (not based on 0.45p / mile which would be a lot more).

Is there anything I can do?
# 2
HappyMJ
Old 15-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Refuse to use your car to attend any more meetings. Just say it is no longer available. Go to your normal workplace plead poverty and get them to give you a travel voucher for public transport. Does your car cover you for using it in the course of your employment? Most insurance only covers commuting to/from your place of work. Taking this course of action may however lead to an early departure from your job though....but I would take a stand.
# 3
johnmc
Old 15-04-2012, 7:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What does it say in your contract?

I have seen contracts where you are obliged to attend training or travel to customers / other branches at your own expense.
# 4
Chickola
Old 15-04-2012, 7:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't have a contract, but it is unusual for me to attend meetings (1 or 2 a year) and I have been reimbursed in the past.

I am due to be made redundant at the end of next month, I have been with the company 2.5 years. At the moment I really need my travel expenses back as things are dire financially. I won't need to attend any other meetings now off site.
# 5
RoxRoxBling
Old 15-04-2012, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't actually think you do have a right to travel expenses, it's usually up to the individual employer.
Save in 2013: #166: 9,122.51/5,000 10,000
Interest earned in 2014: 257.61 20/04/14
# 6
Savvy_Sue
Old 15-04-2012, 3:38 PM

Would you normally expect to get travel expenses?

Do others get travel expenses?

Time for a grievance?
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 7
lincroft1710
Old 15-04-2012, 3:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to lincroft1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue View Post

Time for a grievance?
Would it be worth it in this case, as OP is out of the door in about 6 weeks.
# 8
Notmyrealname
Old 15-04-2012, 3:46 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickola View Post
My employer asked me to attend a meeting for which I occurred 90 of travel expenses but is refusing to pay me anything for the cost.

This was travelling from my normal place of work to the meeting and is just the amount of petrol used (not based on 0.45p / mile which would be a lot more).

Is there anything I can do?
Unless it states something in your contract, nothing.

Keep a record of the journey and the mileage done and claim via a P87 Expenses in Employment form at the end of this tax year. You will be refunded somewhere between zero and 40% of the amount depending on what your personal tax code is as it is applied as a reduction off your income rather than a lump sum so you get back the tax you've overpaid as a result.
# 9
DVardysShadow
Old 15-04-2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxRoxBling View Post
I don't actually think you do have a right to travel expenses, it's usually up to the individual employer.
This is blanket advice, which may be strictly true, but out of context, it is misleading.

The employee only has a duty to attend the contracted place of work - and if expenses will not be paid, is entitled to sit at the place of work until the employer arranges transport to the meeting.

OP, in your case, given that expenses have been paid previously, I would be going back to management up the tree, asking for that 90 - and advising thta you only went on the understanding that you would be paid.

And I think I would be risking the fee to do moneyclaim on line, if I could show that the money had been paid previously. Of course if they told you nothing would be paid before you left, then the costs are down to you.
# 10
Gordon Hose
Old 16-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Out of interest, what is the reason they are giving for non-payment? Seems odd they have reimbursed you in the past but won't this time.
# 11
Judith_W
Old 17-04-2012, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Would you normally get full 45p allowance paid or only petrol cost? As you are being made redundant anyway I wouldn't have any qualms about causing a fuss about getting what you are owed. Do you have a staff handbook or policies about expenses?
Closed Thread