Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Gurj247
    Advice on collecting money owed from a (former) friend....
    • 5th Apr 12, 10:20 AM
    Advice on collecting money owed from a (former) friend.... 5th Apr 12 at 10:20 AM
    Hello one and all,

Thought i would ask peoples opinions on how you would handle the following, as tbh its been doing my head in on and off recently.

Basically, about 4/5 years back I moved into a Flat with a mate, things were going good, his and my work were going good so no problems what so ever.

However after about 2 years things changed and eventually we went our own ways, getting our own places, the problem is that because of his situation (he was made redundant and his new job didn't pay what they said they would) I ended up covering his part of rent and bills for about 3 months.

As a close friend he assured me that he would pay me back to money. (circa 1800) and at the time i had no reason to doubt him, as when we first moved in together he was earning twice what i was.

However it is now coming up to 3 years since then and after various attempts and agreements to pay me back the money it has not happened. We even agreed a payment plan... oh how niave i was/am (with regard to this person).

I have called him, messaged him, texted him, emailed him etc via various means but he refuses to take my calls (or call back) or respond to any of my messages, but i know through social media sites etc that he seems to be constantly travelling over the uk for one reason or another...

I have also spoken with some mutual friends (one who is the brother of this person) to tell them the situation in an effort to encourage my old mate to sort things out regarding the outstanding amount.

I hate putting my other friends in the middle of this situation, but i don't know what more i can do.

I have recently bought a house and could really do with that money... but who knows if i will ever see it again...
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,855Posts Today

8,225Users online

Martin's Twitter