Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Discrepancy on my credit report (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Discrepancy on my credit report
Closed Thread
Views: 1,368
# 1
Majestic
Old 08-03-2012, 3:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Discrepancy on my credit report

I was wondering if someone with knowledge on the thread title could read this request for an amendment on my credit file I recently sent to Experian, whether there's a chance of a succesful response and if low, what possibly could be my next course of action.

The request is genuine, but of course I would imagine Experian would require further evidence.

Quote:
Hi, I recently browsed my credit report (Ref: 123456) and have a found a slight discrepancy.

On my credit file I have two defaults. Both these agreements, a credit card & loan, were taken out with a high street bank during the same week, on the 21st and 26th of September 2005 (precisely), which my credit report quite rightly points out.

Unfortuantley, I defaulted on both agreements due to job loss in the following June of 2006. Yet this is only reflective on one of the defaulted accounts listed.

It seems that these debts were sold to two debt collention agencies, and that whilst one DCA is correct in saying that I defaulted in June 2006 (CapQuest) the other (ArrowGlobal LTD) has listed me defaulting in the same week but over a year after the actual default date.

This latter infomation is incorrect, as both the credit card & loan defaulted at exactly the same time in 2006. This is evident by looking at my credit report and seeing the date of both defaults are within a few days of each other.

I understand that defaults stay on your report for 6 years, but this slight error is not only disheartening but sees the default on my file for nearly 7½ years!

Please could this mistake from the ArrowGlobal credit agreement on my file be rectified, and listed on its actual occurance during 2006.

Regards ...etc
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Majestic; 08-03-2012 at 3:58 AM.
# 2
fermi
Old 08-03-2012, 8:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

ArrowGlobal are notorious for this.

They always seem to alter recorded default dates so that they are when they bought the debt, rather than when the account was actually defaulted.

Experian can dispute the default date with Arrow, but can only alter it if Arrow agree.

So you may in the end have to write and dispute it with Arrow direct, as they may well just tell Experian that it's correct.
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
The Following User Says Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Majestic
Old 08-03-2012, 4:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thankyou for the response, Fermi.

Will the fact that I settled the account in full with ArrowGlobal affect their motivation to actually even look at my query, should I have to contact them? Have there been any success stories in having discrepancies like this amended?

Thanks.
# 4
Gordon Hose
Old 08-03-2012, 4:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermi View Post
ArrowGlobal are notorious for this.

They always seem to alter recorded default dates so that they are when they bought the debt, rather than when the account was actually defaulted.

Experian can dispute the default date with Arrow, but can only alter it if Arrow agree.

So you may in the end have to write and dispute it with Arrow direct, as they may well just tell Experian that it's correct.
So Arrow refuse to amend the default date to show the correct information after the error being brought to light.

Where does the OP go to get it sorted then?
# 5
fermi
Old 08-03-2012, 4:25 PM

I think some people have managed to get these corrected, although AG are often bloomin stubborn.

If no joy via Experian or by writing to AG direct, then it would be a complaint to the ICO and a complaint via the FOS is the original debt is from a financial product that they cover.
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

# 6
Majestic
Old 08-03-2012, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the advice, Fermi.

Cheers.
# 7
fermi
Old 08-03-2012, 4:31 PM

May help if this isn't out of date by now.

Tim Corcoran
Legal & Compliance

tcorcoran @ arrowglobal.net

Tel: 0800 1300 165

Fax: 0845 459 4817

and

zlewy @ arrowglobal.net

and of course.

Queries @ arrowglobal.net

Ping those 3 with a strongly worded complaint, and you might get somewhere.

Basis of the complaint would be that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act by recording a false and inaccurate default date.

# 8
Snowedunder
Old 08-03-2012, 5:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just jumping in here as I have a default from arrow too. I checked paperwork because of the info above which raises a query. Does an Account default on the actual date of the default notice, and is this the date that should be recorded on a CRA file. My NOD is dated on a date in October 2006 and the default is registered as same day, but November 2006 so is this correct or to be corrected?
# 9
Majestic
Old 08-03-2012, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
May help if this isn't out of date by now.

Tim Corcoran
Legal & Compliance

tcorcoran @ arrowglobal.net

Tel: 0800 1300 165
Fax: 0845 459 4817

and

zlewy @ arrowglobal.net

and of course.

Queries @ arrowglobal.net

Ping those 3 with a strongly worded complaint, and you might get somewhere.

Basis of the complaint would be that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act by recording a false and inaccurate default date.
This is extremely helpful infomation fermi, Thankyou.

I'll see what response I recieve from Experian, not that i'm holding my breath but you never know.

Failure on that angle and i'll follow up with the contacts you've given.

Again, thankyou very much for your time.

Last edited by Majestic; 08-03-2012 at 7:10 PM.
# 10
fermi
Old 08-03-2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowedunder View Post
Just jumping in here as I have a default from arrow too. I checked paperwork because of the info above which raises a query. Does an Account default on the actual date of the default notice, and is this the date that should be recorded on a CRA file. My NOD is dated on a date in October 2006 and the default is registered as same day, but November 2006 so is this correct or to be corrected?
They usually have to give you just under a month before actually reporting the default to the CRAs, so you in theory have a change to set things straight and avoid that. So the month difference would tally.

Even if not correct, 1 month is probably not worth arguing the toss over.

# 11
Majestic
Old 19-03-2012, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just a quick update, Arrow Global responded to my query via email within a few hours, telling me my account was now under investigation (regarding the listing of a false and inaccurate date) and would respond through letter as the information I had questioned cannot be given by email due to the Data Protection Act.

Which is fair enough.

It'll be a week tommorow since the last correspondence with Arrow, is that the norm? Or shall I chase up my case with a phonecall.

Thanks in advance.
# 12
fermi
Old 19-03-2012, 1:12 PM

Arrow are normally very very slow getting their backsides in gear.

If you've heard nothing within a fortnight I might be tempted to email a strong reminder saying they have another 14 days after which you will consider formal action against them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Majestic
Old 29-03-2012, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Arrow are normally very very slow getting their backsides in gear.

If you've heard nothing within a fortnight I might be tempted to email a strong reminder saying they have another 14 days after which you will consider formal action against them.
*Update*

After two weeks without reply, I sent ArrowGlobal a reminder attaching my previous correspondance. Stating that two weeks had passed and that I was now gearing up for action with the ICO & FOS should the matter continue to go unresolved, (12 days remaining notice)

Suprisingly, I received a message some 4 hours later with Arrow stating their intention (after investigation) to amend the incorrect data and to please allow 10 days for the Credit Agencies to update their files.

I'm not counting my chickens and will wait for the information to be amended before i'm happy, but I must say i'm relieved that the situation seems to have been resolved amicably.

Special thanks to fermi for (his/her) help & sound advice in persuing and rectifying this error.

Ta.

Last edited by Majestic; 29-03-2012 at 9:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Majestic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
fermi
Old 29-03-2012, 9:17 PM

His.

Excellent, but as you say, don't count chickens yet.

Hopefully they will stick to their word and sort it though.

# 15
Majestic
Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

And here endeth the thread!

Credit report was amended on the 30th, which was my last point of contact with Arrow Global. My recently updated report now has the original default date - 6 years ago next month (rather than the bogus one created by Arrow Global), so that hopefully drops off in a few weeks.

Extremely pleased indeed, as this will now mean I have a very clean slate.

Hopefully this thread will alert other board members to the shoddy handling of bought credit agreements from DCA's. And if you have any defaults, it may be worth checking if they're are registered correctly with the Credit Reference Agencies.

You may find yourself blacklisted longer than you should be!
Closed Thread