Reduced Hours Without Notice From Employer

Options
Please help! My manager has reduced my working hours without informing me. I was hired as a full time employee and I was told I would get a minimum of 36 hours a week but this week I am working 15 hours, he gave me a weeks holdiday instead of a weekend, so I have effectively only worked 30 hours in the past three weeks, and I don't think I'm even getting paid for that week. I'm only twenty and I don't want to be messed around - anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will all be down to your contract.

My contract with my employer states I am to do 37.5 hours a week. That means they must pay me for those hours. Even if they tell me to stay at home.

But if you are on a 15 hour contract for instance, and doing overtime, they can do this without warning. They must simply give you work to cover the 15 hours and are under no obligation to give you more.

My employer, Tesco, has cut all overtime at the moment. It has caught some people in stores out that are contracted for a low number of hours but have constantly done overtime. I am contracted to 37.5 hours so am safe.

If, for whatever reason, you have no contract on paper and what you say was told to you verbally, then someone with more knowledge will need to provide an answer.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Similar to this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3738793 which may be worth a read.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure