Pre-1998 Student Loan Statute-Barred?

Options
I know this has been aired here before but I need definitive advice on the topic.
I am being approached by a company called Link Financial over pre-1998 Student Loans in the form of unsolicited phone calls. I have never paid any of the original loans back and submitted my last SLC deferrment form in 2003 (or perhaps 2002) I have since had no correspondence with either SLC or their collection agencies.
I need definitive advice on whether this debt is statute barred and how solid my position is if I choose to use this route.
I know there haven't been any CCJs against me over the last 6 years as my credit rating was excellent when I was approved a mortgage in April this year.
Hope you can help, you usually can.

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    As its more than 6years since your last deferrment then I would believe it to be statute barred. http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act#chapter13

The only concern if there was no CCJ between your first missed deferrement form in 2004 and April 2005, but I think thats fairly unlikely, they'd be unlikely to act that quickly I'd imagine.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • evenstar2009
    Options
    Hi i had a similar situation where 2 of my pre-1998 student loans had been sold off to another company (cant remember the name but i think they were in Wales) but the other one was kept by the SLC. I received correspondance/phone calls from the 'other' company about loans repayments but i advised them that i was deferring and they said that was fine they will wait to hear from the SLC.

I've never heard from them again (they used to call/send letters all the time!!) so i assume that the SLC advises the companies they sold the loans to if you defer and maybe its an admin/communication error that they're calling you if you deferred?
  • Lesmix
    Lesmix Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE
    last month I sent Link Financial the "Statute Barred" letter and today I received contact from them.

Not only did they entirely ignore the letter I sent them, they included a couple of scary statements showing acruing interest.

What would you recommend now? I included in the statute barred letter a request for them to acknowledge the Statute-barred status of the account which they haven't.

Is this statement a scare letter and should it be considered as harrassment? Shall I repost the statute barred letter?
    Thanks in advance.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Lesmix
    Lesmix Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Today I received a couple of letters from Link confirming that all accounts had been cancelled and no further action was necessary. I was skeptical when I first decided to fight their claims with a statute barredlink3.gif approach, convinced they would find a way to get me.
    Your advice and help on this site has saved my family from a world of financial trouble. Thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure