PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Been given a Kenwood food processor!

Options
Hello there - I've been given a Kenwood Gourmet FP296 ... has bits with it but with no instructions! I have worked out what to do with the grated and shredder. I am unsure when to use the plastic blade instead of the metal blade - is it metal for breadcrumbs etc but plastic for whipping up cream or mixing cakes? Also there is a funny lid thing that is called a maxiblend capacity according to a parts site ... but when would you use it and where exactly does it go??!!

Many thanks

Comments

• LondonDreamer
    LondonDreamer Posts: 725 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2011 at 12:31PM
    Options
    The plastic blade is the dough "hook" - use whenever a hook is called for in a recipe.

I don't think I have the other part on mine, but the Kenwood FAQ says that the maxi blend is used to increase capacity and provide finer chopping due to how the blade spins in it. It sounds like you would place this on top of the central point (where the shredding discs go) but you also put the blade in.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 December 2011 at 10:24PM
    Options
    I have had basic Kenwood food processors for over 20 years and never used the maxiblend canopy until a couple of months ago............it is a touch of genius!

I make a lot of HM soups and like them blended smooth. Usually I put batches of the hot chunky soup in the food processor to blend and if you don't watch it carefully, it rises up and spills through the lid and the central bit and makes a mess everywhere. The maxi-blend canopy contains the liquid and means you can blend without the liquid rising up and spilling over. Just two thirds fill the container , with the metal blade in place and pop the maxiblend canopy on top, then the lid.

I prefer my cheapo hand mixer for making sponge cakes tbh and beating cream. In fact I never use the plastic beater, perhaps I should try!!! I never get light results using the food processor. The metal blade is great for making shortcrust pastry though, a quick whizz and the fat is rubbed into the flour with minimum handling.
  • fingersxed
    Options
    I have a kenwood. not sure which one but they are gd. Makes a brill sponge using metal blade. Made some lovely biscuits. not really done much pastry though. My hubby brought it for me for my 40th. he said he didn't think i'd use it much but 3yrs later n i still use it several times a week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure