'Financial education in the House of Commons – who said what' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So under the new rules, Andrew Percy wouldn't be allowed to become a teacher.
    I wonder if he feels he was inadequate.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You should be in the commons with incisive comments like that. He was asked exactly that question by the Shadow Education minister having said it,

"Kevin Brennan: Is the hon. Gentleman at all worried that he has put his name to a report that includes a recommendation that would bar him from teaching in a primary school?

Andrew Percy:
    I understand that that would not be applied retrospectively—and a very sound recommendation it is on those terms (ML NOTE THIS WAS PLAYING TO THE CROWD AND GOT LAUGHTER). I shall come on to that in a moment, because I taught in a primary school the year before I was elected, and I had to teach maths. That experience has led me to the conclusion that we should absolutely ensure that primary school teachers have better maths qualifications. Although I did not do them a disservice, the children I taught would have benefited from being taught by somebody who had not struggled with maths as I did. I managed to scrape a GCSE C grade. That is why we have supported the minimum grade of B for primary school teachers."
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent result Martin!

As someone who has taught financial education in Schools voluntarily it is well worth doing.

If there are any moneysavers who feel they have time to help, get in touch with PFEG and see if you can get involved.

The MP's made some good points though. There is no point talking to kids about annuities and detailed products. They need the principles around budgeting, saving to buy stuff and the difference between good and bad debt. By which I mean good debt is affordable and backed up by assets such as a house or car. Bad debt is unaffordable and paying for 'stuff' today that you then don't pay off for many years, long after the value has gone.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

due to grade inflation I'm sure his "C" would be worth a "b" today .
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure