'49:59! Hoorah!' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Read Martin's "49:59! Hoorah!" Blog.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Slickster
    Slickster Posts: 65 Forumite
    Well done! Though if they were training 'runs', then I'd think you should be able to go faster in a race situation. A weekly (ish looking at your dates) 10k time trial seems like hard work, you may be better off to do some shorter (1k, 2k etc) intervals or the like in alternate weeks, rather than an actual 10k.
  • DrZoops
    DrZoops Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2011 at 11:57AM
    Well done! If you want to follow Slickster's suggestion regarding some shorter runs, do you have a local parkrun? These fabulous, friendly 5K time-trials are run at 9 am every Saturday at an ever-growing number of locations and are absolutely free to enter. You just need a one-time sign-up, then print out your bar-code and take it with you every time you run. Results are tracked online within an hour or two of each event, complete with age-grading (great for stats-lovers like Martin!)

For details see parkrun.com
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I beat that time every morning..... in my car! :D
    The man without a signature.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    vikingaero wrote: »
    I beat that time every morning..... in my car! :D
    There have been times when I haven't!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Well done Martin. A great milestone to have cracked.

One thought for sponsorship (not that I'm a fan of asking friends and family for money for things that should be government funded)...
    If you think that the distance isn't enough to warrant sponsoring (and I agree - you've done it 12 times in the last few months so it's hardly a question of whether you can do it or not) why not do something time-based? E.g. get people to sponsor you for every second under, say, 52 minutes you complete the race in. Someone might sponsor you, say, 10p per second.
    If you do it in 27th June's time (52:22) they pay nothing. If you do it in yesterday's time (49:59) they pay £12.01.

Then there's a real incentive for you.

[Incidentally, I think estate agent commission should work in a similar way.]
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done Martin. A great milestone to have cracked.

One thought for sponsorship (not that I'm a fan of asking friends and family for money for things that should be government funded)...
    If you think that the distance isn't enough to warrant sponsoring (and I agree - you've done it 12 times in the last few months so it's hardly a question of whether you can do it or not) why not do something time-based? E.g. get people to sponsor you for every second under, say, 52 minutes you complete the race in. Someone might sponsor you, say, 10p per second.
    If you do it in 27th June's time (52:22) they pay nothing. If you do it in yesterday's time (49:59) they pay £12.01.

Then there's a real incentive for you.

[Incidentally, I think estate agent commission should work in a similar way.]

To be honest I'll see how I do in this - and then consider doing something a bit longer (not the full snickers bar - just a half maybe)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Now we have to wonder how long it will be before a joke TV show has you running away from a horde of female fans/money advice seeking people/spouse (select one). :)
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    It might be faster if Martin walked. Top women walkers can average around 43 minutes over 10Km in a 20Km walking race. This is world record pace for a man over 50Km.
    J_B.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport