Great 'MoneySaving ways to de-stress' Hunt

Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
edited 21 June 2011 at 6:02PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Great 'MoneySaving ways to de-stress' Hunt

Sometimes we need a break from the toils of life, but a good pampering doesn't always come cheap, so we want some MoneySavers' tips on how to de-stress on a budget.

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 23 June 2011 at 10:23AM
    Find your local college.

Beauty dept: I had a 1 hour reflexology massage last week for £2.50. All through this year I've been having pedicures, manicures, facials - all 1 hour treatments, all under £7 each.

Hair: cut overseen by a tutor - exactly what I wanted for £5, but took longer than normal

Catering: 3 course meal for 2 £12.

TBH, it actually costs me more money knowing about it as the treats are so cheap I go more often than I should :D
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    people, nature, whatever.
    We like to go to a nearby river spot which is popular with dog-walkers and mum's and they entertain us for hours with their paddling and stick-throwing/swimming games. If there's no-one around we can just stare at the scenery or explore along the path looking for plants and birds. We are lucky here but I'm sure most people have a little bit of peaceful beauty near to their home if they just look for it. It's such a tonic!
  • minerva_windsong
    minerva_windsong Posts: 3,808 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2011 at 10:24AM
    Book from the charity shop or a magazine (quite often discounted to £1 for weeklies or £2 for glossies - if you can get one with a beauty freebie like nail polish or a face mask or body wash even better), nice hot bath (Boots and Superdrug have nice cheap bath products in their own brand ranges, or try Original Source which is normally a couple of quid) and a big cup of tea. Job done.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    My favourite destress is a good book. Either from the supermarket or the charity shop. About twelve hours of pleasure for less than £3.50. Also, if you have friends who enjoy similiar books we all swop them around, which also saves me being like a squirel and storing them! I was very stressed due to different things at work etc and reading a silly girlie thriller really took my mind off it, making me feel better and then deal with things better.
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good book for me too - but what about getting them totally free from your local library? I am a huge library fan, have always read lots and it would bankcrupt me if I didn't use the local library.

Best of all, at my local library I can get out 12 books at a time - 12 books! That means that I can pick up books that I am not sure about but want to try, as I have all the other books to read too if the experimental one doesn't work for me.

Also our local library now has an online renewal service so that I can renew the books if I don't want to take them back after 4 weeks, and also sends email reminders a couple of days before the books are due how good is that!

And... libraries also do music and films etc. as well, so well worth a visit.

Luxury!!!
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    going for a walk, esp as im lucky to have some parks and niceish scenery/green chain walks.
    thermos of tea, bite to eat or a book and i can loose time and chill for a bit whislt enjoying fresh air, scenery esp when weather good?
    if not a bit of gardening, a soak in the bath with the radio, or even having the radio blaring singing along to it whilst doing a bit of hoovering occasionally works.
    mainly loosing myself in a good book from the local library?
  • Maat
    Maat Posts: 478
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Local art galleries and museums are usually free and often have events going on throughout the year, as well as changing exhibitions. It's worth checking their websites or the leaflets in your local library.

My local council website has events listings for the borough too for relaxing and fun days out.

I've had concerts in the marketplace, a medieval market, a singing lesson, a car rally and a camera obscura session all for free in the past year, as well as special exhibitions in both my local museum and the art gallery.

I know these things aren't strictly pampering but they are de-stressing as they're interesting and/or fun, giving your mind a break.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Go for a walk in the woods (Forestry Commission) :)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooh I feel guilty, having read all these wholesome suggestions, because my first thought, when I saw the question, was sex :o:D
  • yummymommy
    yummymommy Posts: 584 Forumite
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Find your local college.

Beauty dept: I had a 1 hour reflexology massage last week for £2.50. All through this year I've been having pedicures, manicures, facials - all 1 hour treatments, all under £7 each.

Hair: cut overseen by a tutor - exactly what I wanted for £5, but took longer than normal

Catering: 3 course meal for 2 £12.

TBH, it actually costs me more money knowing about it as the treats are so cheap I go more often than I should :D

What a brilliant idea. I'm on to it now !!! :T
    The past is over & done & cannot be changed. This is the only moment we can experience - Louise Hay
    "You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
    -- Buddha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport