Great 'pay for one gym, use another' Hunt

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 24 May 2011 at 3:53PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Great 'pay for one gym, use another' hunt

Some gym chains let you sign up to one club, but access any of their gyms around the country. For example, sign up for Wakefield Fitness First for £24, and you get unlimited use of its Shepherds Bush club, normally £40ish. Gyms are loath to advertise this loophole, so we'd love to hear which chains MoneySavers have used it for.

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• bromie21
    bromie21 Posts: 8 Forumite
    im with Parkwood leisure centre, does anyone know if you can use your membership anywhere? Any any ideas which one is cheapest?? Thanks!
  • So i recently joined Esporta in Peterborough but had to pay extra in the joining fee for their multi gym option, and was told that whilst i could use the extra gyms i wouldnt get priority on any of the classes at the 'non home' gym
  • jennybridger
    jennybridger Posts: 113 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2011 at 9:48AM
    i'm a member of Everyone Active, i have so far used 3 of their sites local to me. For £39 DD a month, i can use the gym, book classes, swim at any of their sites.

Obviously cheaper when you pay annually - when i first signed up with all the offers it worked out to £26 a month. Now when you think that a class is £5.90 PAYG...... well for me its a no brainer!

I've met lovely people and think its the best decision i have made in a while. Plus if i go to college, there is an Everyone active gym near there, which would save me some petrol money!

Edit: i think this chain runs along side the local councils.
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
    Rejuvenate, Reinvent.......
  • musicteach
    musicteach Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 May 2011 at 9:47AM
    I've signed up with DW Sports Fitness in Winsford, where they don't have a pool - I therefore pay £22 a month for off-peak membership rather than £27 like everywhere else... But I'm free to go and use any DW gym I like, so frequently use a pool elsewhere.
  • lamp
    lamp Posts: 57 Forumite
    I would love to know more about the Fitness First option! I was looking to join them anyway, and if I can save myself £15/mo, I would be very interested indeed! Would I ever need to go to the Wakefield gym? I had a look at the terms and conditions, and it doesn't say anything about having to visit the home club... Please advise :)

Thanks!
  • Try Gumtree, you often find people trying to transfer the gym memberships.
    If anyone is interested I have a Fitness First One for London - Leyton, have 8 monthly payments left and is a cheaper rate as I took out before rates went up. I will even pay a month off t get rid of this membership.

I have moved and the nearest gym is over a round trip of 60 miles and they won't let me out of membership, even though I have moved back home to care for my mum.
  • toeknee77
    toeknee77 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I like 'musicteach' use D W Sports. I'm a member of Macclesfield gym who charge £25pm off peak but I can use any other gym across the country which charge £27pm off peak.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 May 2011 at 9:49AM
    I'd be very wary of assuming this pay-for-one-gym-..etc thing works with all gyms, I have heard a few people post on these boards before that they had their gym call them talking about their visiting other gyms more often then their home gym and transferring their membership, fees included to that other gym. Think many gyms are wise to this, always a good idea to check the small print if your membership itself depends on using other gyms instead of the home club.
  • i'm a member of Everyone Active, i have so far used 3 of their sites local to me. For £39 DD a month, i can use the gym, book classes, swim at any of their sites.

Obviously cheaper when you pay annually - when i first signed up with all the offers it worked out to £26 a month. Now when you think that a class is £5.90 PAYG...... well for me its a no brainer!

I've met lovely people and think its the best decision i have made in a while. Plus if i go to college, there is an Everyone active gym near there,which would save me some petrol money!

Edit: i think this chain runs along side the local councils.

I too am amember of everyone active. these are run by SLM Leisure along with local councils and give you a wide choice of leisure centres to use nationwide. I pay £25 a month as I am over 50, there are discouts available for over 60's, disabled, NHS employees and other companies, employees of ASDA get a discount at my local gym.
    Its always best to ask.
  • jennybridger
    jennybridger Posts: 113 Forumite
    There are discouts available for over 60's, disabled, NHS employees and other companies, employees of ASDA get a discount at my local gym.
    Its always best to ask.

Good point i live near Stansted Airport & i know there are quite a few airlines who have business memberships.

In my area i can't find another gym that compares when it comes to cost, in fact the only one that did had naff facilities & about 2 classes a day (compared to about 7/8 a day at my gym)

My gym has only been open a year after a massive rebuild (around the existing pool) & are now having to start building again for a 2nd studio because of the surge in membership. Almost all classes are fully booked & you generally need to book a week in advance! Of course if a class was fully booked & i desperately wanted to do a class i could always check the timetable of another local gym :wink:
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
    Rejuvenate, Reinvent.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family