Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > About MSE > Martin's Blogs & Appearances Discussion > 'Am I really "the most powerful man in retai... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
'Am I really "the most powerful man in retail" as The Grocer magazine says?' blog
Closed Thread
Views: 2,285
# 1
MSE Helen
Old 23-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 'Am I really "the most powerful man in retail" as The Grocer magazine says?' blog

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Helen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
michaels
Old 23-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Martin

It must be a nice compliment but I fear it is just a sign of the retailers getting smarter - rather than trying to rubbish you and MSE.com they now shower you with praise and similarly tell us all what saavy consumers we are.

However a recent piece (may have been on the BBC) looked at recent price increases in the UK and Europe to try and see why we were suffering higher inflation than other countries and even after adjusting for exchange rate movements the conclusion was that the British retail environment had actually become less competitive in the last couple of years with retailer margins increasing.

So from me it is 2 cheers only - yes it is nice that companies are paying lip service to consumers rather than just treating them with contempt but the bottom line on margins tells the real story.
Sent from my ...electronic gadget which I am sad enough to think gives me status even though in fact it just shows that I am easily ripped off and a bit inadequate...

Last edited by michaels; 23-05-2011 at 8:28 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to michaels For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Pmarmalade
Old 23-05-2011, 2:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Not trying to be pedantic

But is hotdealsuk.com their typo or yours?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pmarmalade For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
skintinthecity
Old 23-05-2011, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just shows the power of t'internet, Martin. Not so long ago campaigners like yourself were dismissed or treated with contempt by large multi-nationals - now they're playing second fiddle! I'm far happier to see you there than the Tesco boss - all is not lost!
# 5
tara747
Old 23-05-2011, 3:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Power to the people!!!!!!!!!!!

And God bless the Internet.
Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs
Save 87,000 by 31 Dec 2014 54,342 saved by Dec 2011 62,200 saved by Dec 2012 74,127 saved by Dec 2013
eBay sales - 4,559.89 so far Cashback - 1,604.71 so far
Be a nicer daughter, sister and friend
# 6
2sides2everystory
Old 23-05-2011, 5:58 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I liked "Consumer Revenge" best. There was no 'two ways' about what it meant.
# 7
geordie_lass
Old 23-05-2011, 7:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
When I first got a tip off about this on Friday, I was sceptical, thinking it frankly rather bizarre. Yet, having read the nomination this lessoned somewhat. The ranking is far less about me and much more about the specific power of the users of MoneySavingExpert.com and the general power of consumers across the UK.
I don't want to be pedantic (ok, maybe I do ), shouldn't that read "lessened"?
# 8
A little stressed!!
Old 23-05-2011, 7:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm confused, whose the stand-up comedian, Martin??!
I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!
# 9
Ken68
Old 24-05-2011, 9:11 AM

Showing my age now, but have been waiting for this since the Consumers Association was born.
Both main political parties have a stranglehold on their particular sector, time for the Consumer to use his strength.
Maybe unfair, but pick a bad product or a bad company or bad labour practice and boycott.
It happens now on a small scale just make it bigger.

Last edited by Ken68; 24-05-2011 at 9:13 AM.
# 10
danthemoneysavingman
Old 25-05-2011, 5:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd swear I read somewhere that the phrase "the customer is always right" was only said by one manager for one particular store - sorry cant remember details! - but somehow this has become generalised to be applied to every company...
only mention it as Martin used the phrase and I don't believe its ever been the case!
# 11
rickbonar
Old 29-05-2011, 12:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Grocer magazine ... sounds like something from "have I got news for you".

Sorry I seem to have mislaid my copy, and you shop at Morrisons? is that an advert in itself, and you get no VIP treatment either?

I wouldn't let the statement go to my head, there is far more to retail than Tesco! especially international. It's nice to be acknowledged and when fame & celebrity beckons & everyone's raising their Champagne glasses and toasting you it's good to remember that this can change and you become old hat and someone else takes the mantel.

From Mr average here I'd step back and see it for what it is. The person has made a hyperbole statement and you are on a high.
There many advice workers in CABs etc giving out good info too, the MSE is a great site but not the alpha-omega.
# 12
MSE Martin
Old 29-05-2011, 8:16 PM
Money Saving Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbonar View Post
The Grocer magazine ... sounds like something from "have I got news for you".

Sorry I seem to have mislaid my copy, and you shop at Morrisons? is that an advert in itself, and you get no VIP treatment either?

I wouldn't let the statement go to my head, there is far more to retail than Tesco! especially international. It's nice to be acknowledged and when fame & celebrity beckons & everyone's raising their Champagne glasses and toasting you it's good to remember that this can change and you become old hat and someone else takes the mantel.

From Mr average here I'd step back and see it for what it is. The person has made a hyperbole statement and you are on a high.
There many advice workers in CABs etc giving out good info too, the MSE is a great site but not the alpha-omega.

Not sure you can call my morrisons comment about horrendous queues an ad. Why do I go there (and not for main shop)- its next door to MSE towers, so like most people geographical contiguity is the biggest reason.

As for The Grocer - actually it is the main trade press for supermarkets and well respected. Don't worry this won't go to my head, as noted in the blog I thought it a bonkers pick at first - this is a symbolic pick as they needed an individual to represent consumers in the power 100 rather than a person one for me (ps and if you think 'yeah right' having seen the pick of me in the NOTW in a crown and on a throne over this - that's all photoshop - nowt to do with me!)
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
blowstar
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default 'Am I really "the most powerful man in retail" as The Grocer magazine says?' blog

Surely the most powerful man in retail is Mary Portas ?
Closed Thread