May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...hope all are doing well...i spent a tenner in aldi today and 20 in asd$...seemed to get a few bits...i always run ouof summat though which is a pain...i am determined to make everything from scratch but the raw ingredients seem to cost a lot...i made a pie for tea and going to try and make fried rice tomorrow...i like the sound of the eves pudding...im going to try that

have a nice evening...superscrimpers is on later...i like watching that

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    £3.59 spent in Tesco on shaving gel, wraps, bagels and a newspaper. Spotted the shaving gel on UKHotDeals - a twinpack of Gillette for £1.02 so bought 2 packs. It'll last for ages - bargain!

Also, the wraps and bagels are from the Weight Watchers range, which i'd never usually look at, but they were half price. 50p for 6 wraps (slightly smaller than usual ones) and 67p for 5 bagels which I thought was quite a good price.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Up to £127.44 now, with 20 days left. Hmm... Don't even need to be creative with meal plan, as I have everything I need for about a thousand meals! I just need to stay out of the sms.

In theory, £22.56 is ample for my needs for the rest of the month. In practice, however, I will spend that the next time I go, and prob more too.

What I'm doing differently this month, is a spreadsheet of ALL of my spends, and there are very few days that go by when I spend no money whatsoever. That's really quite bad, and needs a bit of attention. In fairness, I'm not in debt, other than a massive mortgage; I'm paying off an extra £300 a month on that, and I have savings too, but what annoys me is that I could do so much more with the money, eg days out for the children, decorating their rooms, etc. Instead, I spend money on food and miscellaneous !!!!. Why am I so stupid?!! (And it's not like I'm thick - I have a maths degree!!!)

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    O dear, I succumbed to a take-away tonight (£12 that I shouldn't have spent). The worst thing is that it wasn't even that good so I am feeling doubly annoyed that I gave in.
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    The Peach Pud was a success, the Recipe was on the back of my Packet of Ground Rice, it's called "Tropical Rice Dessert" and you're suppossed to use a tin of Pineapple but I had some Peach slices to up so here goes:-

400g Can of Pineapple (peaches in my case)
    1pt Milk
    2oz Ground Rice
    1oz Caster Sugar
    2oz Sultanas
    2oz Desiccated Coconut

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Drain the fruit and put in an ovenproof dish. Put the milk, ground rice, sugar and sultanas into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, cook gently for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and add half the coconut. Pour this over the pineapple and pop in the oven for 10 mins. Sprinkle the remaining coconut over and bake for a further 20 mins.

Dinner tonight is HM Chilli, I bulk mine out with baked beans as well as Kidney beans. Pudding will be something with Rhubarb as I picked some from the Allotment yesterday.:D

Should be a NSD today as I have everything in that we need until Monday hopefully.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    sunny day hope you are feeling better and have got your appetite back

off to sainsbugs and a!di today , i need to tally up my spends ( which are quite significant ) which i will do later

spiggle / hippeechiq hope you are both ok x
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    morning all, another nsd today i'm now at 5 in a row :j tea is last nights sheperds pie because my ashma started playing up so i didn't cook it so we all just had sandwichs or pasta instead, i'm now down to drinking black coffee and i had to do half and half for DS3 breakfast so def need to go shopping tomorrow
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • £140 for May please

As of yesterday 10th £37.28 so well on target

Still well down on the alcohol and finding it much easier to budget overall thanks for this.

Best bargain 3 x 500g M & S roast chicken pies £1 5 days from use by date mainly in freezer ready to take to a friends house Bank Holiday weekend. :rotfl:
    It's only rock and roll but I like it.
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    A wee trip to M*******s last night to get DD2 her shopping , I ended up buying a few things.

GC
    2 Packs Tortelloni £1.60
    Carrots , parsley. £1.00
    2 pack Samosas & Bhajis £1.00
    2 double packs Jaffa Cakes £2.00
    2 Apple Pies £1
    Total Spend £6.60

2nd Purse
    6 Cartons Chopped Tomatoes B1G1F 2 for 69p = £2.07
    4 Cartons Best Tomatoes with Olives B1G1F 2 for 75p =£1.50
    Total Spend £3.57

DD2 bought our dinner at M*******s last night, a wee break from cooking for me YAY!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 695
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am really pleased with how I'm doing this month. My budget is £450, and I took out the cash at the beginning of the month. I have £235 left, so I know that says I've already spent over £200, I have loads of meat in the freezer, but also I've given my daughters their allowance of £30 (between 2 of them) out of it and also one daughter had an overnight trip to London and I gave her £25 spending money, so that is £55 out of my budget that I was actually planning on going to the bank to use.

So, if I can stay within the £235 for the rest of the month, which I think I will, I will be really pleased, taking into account the extra unbudgeted things i've paid out :)
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport