Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 23 March 2011 at 3:04PM in Cutting tax
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well it was better than a poke in the eye...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Credit to the tories on this one. When was the last time the threshold went up £1630 in the space of 12 months? Also this website says that from 2013, there will be a hike, this is not true! The threshold will continue to rise but a slower rate
  • When was the last time the threshold went up £1630 in the space of 12 months?
    When was the last time public services were slashed like this?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Surely there are circumstances where CPI can be higher than RPI.

We might not be in that environment now, but it doesn't mean it always has to be that way.

(Of course, if it changes round, I'm sure the government of the day will shift the goalposts again)
  • When was the last time public services were slashed like this?

Public services slashed? I was under the impression that HMG is borrowing about £140 billion this year just so that public services are not slashed to the level that can be afforded by the tax revenues.
  • I’m talking about personal income. I will now be better off by £20 per month this year in my pay packet. Am I to start blaming The Bank of England when interest rates goes up, thus increasing my mortgage as I’m on the base rate at the minute. People forget that 1000’s and 1000’s are on the base rate. When it does go up “real” inflation will kick in, and we will have less disposable income, meaning prices will probably continue to rise due to lack of demand.. There hasn’t been a budget on record, or will there ever be, that all the people agree 100% it was a resounding success.

In these times of austerity, be frugle, it works for me!
  • Reduced demand causes prices to stop rising so fast.
  • Not strictly true. There are still too many greedy !!!!!!!s who do not do this. I am a buyer, I know too well. Take oil for example, there are now fewer cars on the road during peak times than 10 years ago. Oil companies put the price up, as demand has fell.
  • Oil companies do not determine oil prices. The market does.
  • Do you really think that is true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport