Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > I searched but couldn't find anything (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I searched but couldn't find anything
Closed Thread
Views: 33,347
# 21
wannabe sybil
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thank you Penelope Penguin that is really REALLY helpful.

I have subscribed to the thread as a solid gold life line.

Thank you again.
Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!

# 22
Penelope Penguin
Old 04-03-2010, 7:25 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe sybil View Post
Thank you Penelope Penguin that is really REALLY helpful.
All part of the service

I'll add this to the existing thread on searching, to assist others in future.

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
# 23
stilernin
Old 11-03-2010, 6:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Fantastic!

This just has to be a sticky.
# 24
Penelope Penguin
Old 11-03-2010, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilernin View Post
This just has to be a sticky.
It's in the Welcome to Old Style sticky

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
# 25
zippychick
Old 04-05-2010, 6:29 PM

Just thought I would bump this thread as it is so helpful . The first page and few screenshots really helped me understand searching (in fact it's how I learnt)

Thanks Squeaky!

I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

# 26
MrsE
Old 14-05-2010, 9:15 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippychick View Post
Just thought I would bump this thread as it is so helpful . The first page and few screenshots really helped me understand searching (in fact it's how I learnt)

Thanks Squeaky!

Brilliant thread

Can you help me?

If I search for a two word thing (like birthday cake) - it will pull up every thread with birthday & every thread with cake.

Is there anyway around this? Because sometimes you really need both words for it to be relevant.
# 27
Pink.
Old 14-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
Brilliant thread

Can you help me?

If I search for a two word thing (like birthday cake) - it will pull up every thread with birthday & every thread with cake.

Is there anyway around this? Because sometimes you really need both words for it to be relevant.
To use the search facility it is best to click on ''search this forum'' (towards the top right of the main page of the board you are searching on) then click on ''advanced search'' and select ''titles only''. If you then type in the words birthday cake you only find threads containing both words in the title.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
MrsE
Old 14-05-2010, 12:19 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink-winged View Post
To use the search facility it is best to click on ''search this forum'' (towards the top right of the main page of the board you are searching on) then click on ''advanced search'' and select ''titles only''. If you then type in the words birthday cake you only find threads containing both words in the title.

Pink
So if you search by title only you search for ALL words in one post, but if you search by post content it picks out posts with one or more words.

I'm guessing it works the same way with the search across the whole of MSE? But you can get more relevance using a forum only search?

So its limitations this way are only the titles people use?

Hence the post above which mentions titles.
# 29
Pink.
Old 14-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
So if you search by title only you search for ALL words in one post, but if you search by post content it picks out posts with one or more words.

I'm guessing it works the same way with the search across the whole of MSE? But you can get more relevance using a forum only search?

So its limitations this way are only the titles people use?

Hence the post above which mentions titles.
If you search by titles only, it will select only threads with all your search words in the title.

However, if you search ''entire threads'' for birthday cake it will throw up literally hundreds of threads containing the words birthday and/or cake.

The search does work the same way across MSE. The point of using ''search this forum'' as opposed to ''forum search'' is that it only searches the forum you are reading and therefore narrows down the results you get, making it more easy to find the relevant thread. If you use ''forum search'' it will search the entire MSE forums so you will have many more threads to plough through to find the one you want.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Turkishdreamer
Old 15-02-2011, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Not sure where to post this, as am new to the forum.

Is there a thread about books, reading, etc. I am a book fiend and it is nice to share books, reading ideas and ideas on obtaining books cheaply, etc.
MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkishdreamer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
rosieben
Old 16-02-2011, 12:39 AM

you'll find OS book recommendations etc here and I heartily recommend Martin Lewis' books and the Tightwad Gazette if you're looking for something on Frugal living
... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener

Last edited by rosieben; 16-02-2011 at 12:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosieben For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Turkishdreamer
Old 18-02-2011, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieben View Post
you'll find OS book recommendations etc here and I heartily recommend Martin Lewis' books and the Tightwad Gazette if you're looking for something on Frugal living
Thanks for that, I look forward to a good trawl tomorrow night after work. Oh what a hectic social life I have!!!
MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning
The Following User Says Thank You to Turkishdreamer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread