Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    squeaky
    I searched but couldn't find anything
    • 25th Feb 08, 8:27 AM
    I searched but couldn't find anything 25th Feb 08 at 8:27 AM
    OK folks, here's the thing... it's something we all see and we all struggle with.

We do a search and we can't find what we are looking for, and ten seconds later some smarty pants hands us a link

So here's a quick and easy search routine that will help most often...

At the top of the forum listing, towards the right hand side you'll see the "Search this Forum" link...

And if you click on it you get a search box like this...

If you type your search words into the text box you'll often find that you get lots of threads listed - especially if your search word is one that might be used in lots of different posts. If you can see the thread you want, fine; but otherwise there's a way to make the list shorter and more applicable to what you are looking for.

Click on the "Advanced Search" link as shown above and you will now see...

For the moment, leave the selection "Search titles only" as it is. This will limit your results to ones that only have your search word in the title.

Look a bit further down the page for the "Search options" section...

The recent forum software update set the default "look back time" to just one month. Many of our threads are considerably older than that! So select "Any Date" as you can see above, otherwise you will not be able to find older threads or, all too often, no threads at all.

Now skip down to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Search Preferences" button...

Note:- You only need to do / check this the first time you use advanced search.

Go back to the top of this page and type in your search word(s)...

And either press the Enter / Return key, or click on the "Search Now" button.

For this particular search you should get the following result...

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that there are no threads newer than Dec 2007. This is because Christmas threads now get posted on the celebrations board.

If you had your "look back time" set to just one month you would have found none of these threads.

So that's the quick and easy way to look for any thread that has your search word(s) in the title.

And yes, I know, all too often you either get loads and loads of threads in a search result - or none at all. It gets discouraging and it all starts to look like "Rocket Science" to get the darn thing to work and give you what you're asking for.

Well, it's not "Rocket Science", promise... but it is something of an art form

So bear with me and I'll go through some of the ways that you can refine your searches to find that one thread or post that you are sure must be about the place "somewhere".
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 30-12-2013 at 1:30 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Page 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I think we're nearly ready to send this weeks MSE email - its been a tough & long one to do this week. Thanks to all the team

• RT @GregJRutherford: 3 years ago #OlympicGames #Gold - happy third year anniversary to me and everyone else who had the? https://t.co/qDNhB?

• Watching Corbyn on @BBCNewsnight I'm torn.Is a party like a footie team - choice to aim to win at all costs or play an ideology beautifully?

• Follow Martin