January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Have spent £125.36/£180 of my yearly stocking up budget it sounds like a lot but from this i have:

Years supply of bleach
    Years supply of fairy washing up liquid
    Years supply comfort softener
    Years supply shower gel
    Years supply toothpaste
    Years supply washing powder
    Years supply crunchy nut
    6 months mr muscle oven cleaner
    6 months shampoo/conditioner
    2 months toilet roll
    6 months supply colour catcher

Will buy some more stock up items from home b@rgains tomorrow on the way home, all good offers anyway......tuna gone down to £2.19 @ home b@rgains

January Grocery Budget is at £131.08 for the month, will probably just get another lot of chicken breasts with the change and some juice will probably stretch 2 meals
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Have just done my final shop of January at Lidl (£30.77 and including 2 new dog collars!!) £10 spent yesterday at pets at home on dog food for the month...and come in at £155.77 total for January !!:T
    I am quite pleased with that:D , especially as I have just spent the vast majority of my money on getting my kitchen into a usable condition again so I can cook properly after 5 years of waiting!
    So now I know I can get back to saving for the next job I have to do in the house and of course my first camping holiday later this year as a single mum! Back to the GC..bring on febuary I say:j.
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • evening everyone!!

hope you are well! Just want to thank all those who post and motivate us to stay on track.

My GC challenge runs until the 26th of each month as this is when i get paid so i would like to declare that i finished under budget on £152.84 out of £160 budget!! Yeah!! :A

this is a real achievement for me as I am famed for "just nipping to the shops" and spending ridiculous amounts each week - and there is only the two of us!! onwards and upwards!

May lower my budget to £150 for Februray

off to catch up on the last few days posts - its moves so fast!

Good luck everyone!!!
    go to the graze website and enter this code: 4LKM1R3B to get your first graze box free and the second half price!!
  • pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    I'm now in £195.73 of my £200.00 budget fro Jan. Talk about :eek:

Got plenty of food, so probably just need to get milk (and give the kids tinned fruit after we run out of fresh!! :o). However my OH insists on getting the Cravenda1e milk so it's not going to be cheap! I'm sure I'll do it though.. onwards and upwards!

I'm going to set myself a tight budget for Feb - as it's a short month and I have plenty in the freezer still - can I be put down for £150 please MrsM :A

Can you tell I like to live on the edge? What with the knitting, marmalade making and general bakery my friends are all jealous of my rock'n'roll lifestyle :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    potatoes should keep for a while if they're kept in the dark - I put mine in an old shopping basket and cover them with newspaper

I used to throw a few every now and them because they were wet, black inside, funny soft and brown or with too many "white legs" lol. Now I take them out of the plastic bag (it keeps the moisture and eventually wets the potatoes) and put them in newspapers then chuck them in the veggie draw inside the fridge. It is a trick that people here told me and it has made a huge difference.

Mothership your post was just hylarious! OMG! :rotfl:

I went to MrM and HB without a calculator :mad: So I ended spending far too much and in things not needed and for a total of £38.76 . I will update my sig in a sec and include also tomorrow's delivery of A&C for £16.78 (small fruit & veg box, bananas and eggs).

Total for January (SO FAR, still a few days to go): £218.67 / £250

Target for February: £210

I am going to try to reduce £10 more a week, see if I can manage.:T
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    Have spent £125.36/£180 of my yearly stocking up budget it sounds like a lot but from this i have:

Years supply of bleach
    Years supply of fairy washing up liquid
    Years supply comfort softener
    Years supply shower gel
    Years supply toothpaste
    Years supply washing powder
    Years supply crunchy nut
    6 months mr muscle oven cleaner
    6 months shampoo/conditioner
    2 months toilet roll
    6 months supply colour catcher

Will buy some more stock up items from home b@rgains tomorrow on the way home, all good offers anyway......tuna gone down to £2.19 @ home b@rgains

January Grocery Budget is at £131.08 for the month, will probably just get another lot of chicken breasts with the change and some juice will probably stretch 2 meals

hoow do you work out how much you will use in a year?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 8:37PM
    Things you’ll need to get started…

2nd Purse
    Small notepad or paper you can fold up and put in your purse
    Small pencil (like the ones you get in bookmakers or IKEA)

£10 it can be more if you can afford it.
    Decide how many months stock you want to have, I do it in multiples of 3/6/9/12
    3 months is a good place to start if you don’t have much storage, or your on your own.

Make a list of all the things you buy on a regular basis, separate them into categories, beverages, cleaning, toiletries. Freezer stock.
    At the bottom of the list add items you would love to be able to buy but cant afford them ( you may not now, but after a year of doing this you will.)
    I have luxuries like smoked salmon on mine & some of my absolute favourites from M&S on this.
    Make your wish list & your
    Never in your wildest dreams list.
    I got some of the things I wanted last year a Tajine, and a new set of Fissler pots.
    Do the lists on the computer and print new ones off when you need them.

I usually go shopping for specific items when I know the store has them on offer. When I reach the check out I put them up separately, put the change and receipt in the 2nd Purse.
    When I get home I write the price next to it. Full price, for eg if you get something for 50p that you normally would pay £1 for , when you buy it from yourself, you pay £1.
    When I need one I place a tick beside the item.
    If the goods have a use by date write it beside the item.
    I also write the cost and profit I will have from the spend, if you tot this up you will know how much you will have when its all used up.

When you see any of the items on offer at a good price SWOOP, buy as many as you want with what you have in your 2nd purse.

At the end of the week/month pay the purse what you owe it, + what you can afford to give it. Set a limit of what you want to keep in the purse , mine is £100 any surplus I remove and keep in the 3rd Purse. If you need something urgently or have an unexpected bill use the money in the 3rd purse, you don’t need to pay this back. That your reward for being thrifty.
    That’s your cushion.

Your OH might tell you, you don’t need 3 of those DON’T LISTEN , they stand between you and those new pots LOL.

DO NOT BUY SWEETS CRISPS BISCUITS CHOCOLATE from the 2nd purse, they are also your enemy, once you get them home you will feel flush and eat them and carry them around with you FOREVER!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    Things you’ll need to get started…

2nd Purse

I usually go shopping for specific items when I know the store has them on offer. When I reach the check out I put them up separately, put the change and receipt in the 2nd Purse.

Ooooh, Mothership. I love your technique of putting your deals through as a separate transaction to your day-to-day shopping. This will really help me keep tabs on my purses!

Thanks
  • Jolaaled wrote: »
    Ooooh, Mothership. I love your technique of putting your deals through as a separate transaction to your day-to-day shopping. This will really help me keep tabs on my purses!

Thanks

It works best if you do it that way, I keep all the receipts/ old lists in a plastic A4 wallet. I don't usually tot up the yearly spend/profit . I did one year and it was a staggering £500. Profit that is.

I forgot to say when you pay for something turn the tick that you've used it into a cross.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Had a small spend on milk and yogurts today so another £1.83 to add to my spends. Got to pick up some sandwich stuff tomorrow, as I'm fed up with my current lunch choice of pitta bread, cream cheese and roasted veg!
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport