January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 3:22PM
    1 slice of bacon per person , chopped and fried in a dry pan till crispy
    2 Garlic Cloves (Grated or 2 teaspoons of jar or dried) add to pan fry for a few seconds. (you don't need oil of fat)

If the food sticks free it with a little water.

1 Chicken breast sliced 1 breast does 2 people (not too thick) if using uncooked add now. Fry for a about 5-10 minutes, until cooked.

1 Red onion thinly sliced, add to pan and fry for a few seconds

If you have any peppers you can add this to the dish too. (But not needed its just as nice without. I've used mushrooms in this dish too, I fry them in a separate pan until crispy if using) and add here*

1 Chicken Stock cube diluted in about 200 ml hot water, (or fresh stock)
    Small Carton of cream
    White wine. ( I freeze leftover wine and add the cubes)
    If your using cooked chicken add it now. *

Simmer for a few minutes, if you want the sauce thicker add about a desert-spoon of corn-flour to a little milk and stir through sauce.

If your using more than 1 chicken breast add more milk, about the same quantity as the cream.

A few chilli flakes and seasoning if liked

Stir sauce into cooked pasta (Bows look pretty).

Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley just before serving.

Quick easy, looks great and tastes yummy!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I am not sure I put down an amount for this month, as I was hoping to just use up store cupboard things. But I have been updating my spending on the Spreadsheet, and have spent £195 this month on food/toothepaste etc. So it really is a very bad way to carry on. Just getting bits and bobs. False lull of security there then.
    I will still need to get Milk and bread on going.
    There really isnt anything fresh left in the veg box and only apples in the fruit drawer.
    So I will really need to keep my purse closed more in February!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Hi mothership
    I do like that recipe. My kids love creamy pasta dishes whilst me and hubby love tomato based dishes. So I will be trying that one out. Could you use EMLEA as I have carton in fridge needing used up?

Just had my final shop of Jan delivered by Mr T (i am down with flu and this was the most sensible option). Did what I usually do...Mysupermarket and onto Tesco site ... this was the cheapest option and that was including delivery.
    Have lots of whoopsies from last week in freezer so total including deliv £41.35. For me this is amazing. Did stock-take of freezer etc and meal-planned accordingly and this is me until next tuesday.

So I have to say thank you to all contributers on this thread for all the tips and comradeship :) throughout the month. If you had have told me last Jan that I could feed a family of 5 for month, with great food and extras for my final sig (see below as I am going to update it shortly) I would have said def no way JOSE!!!

So I start with the same budget next tuesday and take it from there.
    What will happen to this thread as its named JANUARY Groc challenge...sorry if its a dumb question

take care all
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • ebayqueen wrote: »
    Hi mothership
    I do like that recipe. My kids love creamy pasta dishes whilst me and hubby love tomato based dishes. So I will be trying that one out. Could you use EMLEA as I have carton in fridge needing used up?

Just had my final shop of Jan delivered by Mr T (i am down with flu and this was the most sensible option). Did what I usually do...Mysupermarket and onto Tesco site ... this was the cheapest option and that was including delivery.
    Have lots of whoopsies from last week in freezer so total including deliv £41.35. For me this is amazing. Did stock-take of freezer etc and meal-planned accordingly and this is me until next tuesday.

So I have to say thank you to all contributers on this thread for all the tips and comradeship :) throughout the month. If you had have told me last Jan that I could feed a family of 5 for month, with great food and extras for my final sig (see below as I am going to update it shortly) I would have said def no way JOSE!!!

So I start with the same budget next tuesday and take it from there.
    What will happen to this thread as its named JANUARY Groc challenge...sorry if its a dumb question

take care all

Elmlea will do fine. Enjoy!
    2nd Purse ££100
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Spent about £20 on lunch items, so have around £10 left til end of the month....think I can do this!
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 3:46PM
    Mothership wrote: »
    1 slice of bacon per person , chopped and fried in a dry pan till crispy
    2 Garlic Cloves (Grated or 2 teaspoons of jar or dried) add to pan fry for a few seconds. (you don't need oil of fat)

If the food sticks free it with a little water.

1 Chicken breast sliced 1 breast does 2 people (not too thick) if using uncooked add now. Fry for a about 5-10 minutes, until cooked.

1 Red onion thinly sliced, add to pan and fry for a few seconds

If you have any peppers you can add this to the dish too. (But not needed its just as nice without. I've used mushrooms in this dish too, I fry them in a separate pan until crispy if using) and add here*

1 Chicken Stock cube diluted in about 200 ml hot water, (or fresh stock)
    Small Carton of cream
    White wine. ( I freeze leftover wine and add the cubes)
    If your using cooked chicken add it now. *

Simmer for a few minutes, if you want the sauce thicker add about a desert-spoon of corn-flour to a little milk and stir through sauce.

If your using more than 1 chicken breast add more milk, about the same quantity as the cream.

A few chilli flakes and seasoning if liked

Stir sauce into cooked pasta (Bows look pretty).

Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley just before serving.

Quick easy, looks great and tastes yummy!

I make something similar to this, but often use thinly sliced chorizo instead of bacon- gives a lovely smokey taste to it. I occasionally add peas too as DS (aged 3) loves his peas! I sometimes do a tomato sauce instead of creamy......oh the wonders of pasta lol!
    Haggis, neeps and tatties for Burns night tonight- I have veggie haggis and DH has normal (half of his stowed away in freezer for another night as was a 6 slice pack), DS will have a sausage!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStar wrote: »

I make something similar to this, but often use thinly sliced chorizo instead of bacon- gives a lovely smokey taste to it. I occasionally add peas too as DS (aged 3) loves his peas! I sometimes do a tomato sauce instead of creamy......oh the wonders of pasta lol!
    Haggis, neeps and tatties for Burns night tonight- I have veggie haggis and DH has normal (half of his stowed away in freezer for another night as was a 6 slice pack), DS will have a sausage!

That sounds yummy, I will try that , I have two chorizo's in the fridge (one is dated 22nd Feb) was going to make paella with one, was wondering what on earth to do with the other one. Thank You!
    2nd Purse ££100
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    That sounds yummy, I will try that , I have two chorizo's in the fridge (one is dated 22nd Feb) was going to make paella with one, was wondering what on earth to do with the other one. Thank You!
    No worries, for some reason chorizo and chicken compliment each other. I tend to stick the chorizo in first and fry it a little, then remove, cook the chicken in same pan, and then add chorizo back just before adding cream and pasta. hth
    I think it can also be used in jambalaya, kind of similar to paella but not quite lol! I have used it on pizza too, in place of pepperoni!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2011 at 6:49PM
    Hi everyone. I took part in the challenge in 2009 but was not around much last year. Anyway, I would like to take part again, if that's alright. I've missed January but could you put me down for £450 for February. I buy for a family of 6. Thanks
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    mothership - what is the second purse idea? i appear to have missed that post!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure