January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have got a glut of newly made marmalade the mo'!..thanks to all the Seville recipes and helpful tips I found on here.

So today, have made my mum's Spiced Marmalade cake ...soooo easy!..and each time, it comes out so well (except the sultanas always sink to the bottom). I think the recipe may have originally come from a Yorkshire WI recipe book, but not sure. As a result, I use the old-style 'big' tablespoon measure IYSWIM.

Heres the instructions:

6 oz SR flour
    1 tsp mixed spice
    3 oz margerine
    3 oz sugar
    3 oz sultanas
    3 tbs hot water
    1 egg
    2 tbs marmalade
    2 tbs golden syrup.

Heat marg, sugar, marmalade and golden syrup in microwave.
    Add sieved flour and mixed spice and stir well.
    Add the hot water.
    Stir in floured sultanas
    Lastly, add the beaten egg.

Put in well-greased tin and cook for about 20-30 mins 160 degrees C.

Spiceymarmaladecake.jpgSpiceymarmaladecake2.jpg
  • JOlaaled
    I swear I can smell that cake!
    Looks lovely!
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Last day of my January GC and would like to declare £299.75 for Jan out of £300, so just 25p to spare:eek:. I didn't think i'd manage it.

Can I be put down for £300 for Feb pls.

I must say i've found £300 difficult in January as everything is going up so much. There isn't much else i can cut out of my monthly shop now. Roll on summer so i can get my lovely homegrown lettuces and cucumbers etc

By the way, i'm thinking of buying an easiyo yoghurt maker as we love natural yoghurt...has anyone got one?
  • SuziQ1962
    SuziQ1962 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Yum Yum ^^^ :) ^^^
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/£26.00:j
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget £28.90/£100:eek:
    January 2012 Grocery challenge £378.27/£240 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
    14/16 NSD in January:mad::mad:
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs :j
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Jolaaled, that looks delicious! Gonna have to squeeze some sultanas into feb's GC so I can make one :D
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Popped to Lid! today as they had Multipacks of OJ on special and we use these in Lunch boxes - big mistake - ended up spending over £20.:eek: Too many things on offer, got more Cheese, the juice cartons, B!sto granules, bleach, dishcloths, bananas, apples etc etc. We now have £1.35 to last until Wednesday.:o

I've checked and double checked meal plan and I won't need to buy anything until Friday - have enough Fruit, veg and milk and have enough Bread flour to make next batch of bread and rolls so we should just make it.:cool:

Dinner tonight is Roast Beef and all the trimmings. Not made a Pud as dinner itself should be filling enough as I always serve it with Stuffing, bread sauce, yorkies and loads of veg.YUM

Everyone seems to be doing well, this month is usually hard and always seems such a long month but I think it's going really fast.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Missus_Aka
    Missus_Aka Posts: 285 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2011 at 3:32PM
    Thanks for everyones input, have decided that i will do as i planned and drop my monthly budget to 135.00 a month and have a yearly stock up budget of 180.00 for things like washing powder, toothpaste, softener etc. so then my monthly spends wont be so up and down due to stocking up so it will even out.....i think it will go to plan so can i please have my grocery budget changed to 135.00 please

I will be stocking up on washing powder bleach showergel toothpaste crunchnut etc i will also be keeping a log of my stocking up budget in my sig. so i am currently on 129.19 on my grocery budget and 26.95 on my stocking up budget....will do a stocking up shop at sainsburys and one at tescos both on the 25th my gran wants some stuff on offer as well so will do it all together
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • mongmoney
    mongmoney Posts: 174
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Afternoon Peeps,
    I think I must have forgotten to record some spends, either that or I'm getting better at wasting less.
    If I don't count spends on my cats then I've only spent about £30 on food so far this month.
    I'm swopping current accounts and the changeover date doesn't match salary. This has caused a bit of a headache but keeping grocery spends down has helped.
    I've got to make that cake, it looks lovely, thanks J.
    Hoping to declare at under £60, just under 10 days to go.
    Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,310
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A $22.61 spend for me today.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Jolaaled wrote: »
    So today, have made my mum's Spiced Marmalade cake ...soooo easy!..and each time, it comes out so well (except the sultanas always sink to the bottom). I think the recipe may have originally come from a Yorkshire WI recipe book, but not sure. As a result, I use the old-style 'big' tablespoon measure IYSWIM.

OMG that looks DIVINE! Gonna make it next week nom nom nom!
    kippers wrote: »
    By the way, i'm thinking of buying an easiyo yoghurt maker as we love natural yoghurt...has anyone got one?

I have one :) Don't use the easi-yo sachets (as they are expensive but SUPER yummy!) but make my own with UHT milk, started yoghurt and milk powder... mmmmmmmm

Spends today of £6.99 in MrM. Fruit, fromage frais (for the littlies) and a few other bits... Just under £25 for 8 days! Yikes!
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure