MSE News: Government-backed lender launched to help low earners

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:
"My Home Finance will offer those financially excluded access to credit at far lower rates than loan sharks ..."

Read the full story:
Government-backed lender launched to help low earners

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    Thats all well and good but again they are targeting people who more then likely cant afford the repayments - notice how they have opened in a place of high unemployment?

And if these people needed something like a washing machine and such like they can get that through the social anyway..

First impressions are not impressed.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • TUS
    TUS Posts: 692 Forumite
    Options

And if these people needed something like a washing machine and such like they can get that through the social anyway..

Or for £40 via Gumtree/eBay. Or possibly for free via Freecycle.

Someone in such financial hardship shouldn't be spending £hundreds on such a thing IMO.
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not for profit organisation charging 29.9% !

How on earth are they going to avoid making a profit?
    Space available for rent
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    Not for profit organisation charging 29.9% !

How on earth are they going to avoid making a profit?

The directors and managers will be on 6 figure salaries, requiring this organisation to make petitions to the government for taxpayers' money to avoid making a loss.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • WestonDave
    Options
    I also have misgivings about a government scheme which appears to encourage the less well off into debt. I appreciate that if it cuts the loan sharks out of the equation then its a positive step, but maybe they could set the loans up in such a way that having paid off the loan they then make further payments to build up a savings balance for future needs, or that loans are only available alongside budget coaching which again encourages them to put away a small amount each week/month and helps them understand finances, shows them how to seek good deals on utilities etc. Simply switching profits from loan shark to state doesn't really solve the problem.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2010 at 10:59AM
    Options
    What a load of bull. Encouraging people in to debt is a great way to prevent another recession. It doesn't matter if it's Government backed, charging those rates most certainly isn't going to help low earners.

They can get a loan from the social interest free which is taken directly from their benefits so they have no choice but to repay.

This is just another ludicrous scheme to make some people very rich. Not-for-profit my !ss.

If they don't have a washing machine, then stick to hand washing. As for school uniforms.. shirt and trousers from Asda for a tenner, sorted.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest thats a low APR for the risk involved, thats how it works higher risk higher APR as there is a higher chance of defaults.

I don't see it as encourging debt as such, these people would get into debt anyway with companies charging much more.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • millym
    millym Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    All sounds like a bad idea to me

Of course, when you try to get a budgeting/crisis loan or community care grant, they will probably send you to these people instead. Nice to see the government looking out for the poorest in society...

I feel sick.

What's wrong with credit unions? They charge lower interest, and you have to save with them first, to prove you can manage your finances.

The last thing folks on low income need is more debt. They need to live within their means. Will it stop loan sharks? Surely the government could legislate against the massive APR's charged by these companies?
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    millym wrote: »
    What's wrong with credit unions? They charge lower interest, and you have to save with them first, to prove you can manage your finances.

You've answered your own question.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you borrow £500 over three years at 10% it costs £80 in interest. At 29.9% over a month, it will cost £12
    And how, exactly, is a low income family going to repay £500 in a month?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure