lentil shepherd's pie

want2bmortgage3
want2bmortgage3 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
edited 11 August 2010 at 5:08PM in Old style MoneySaving
hi
i am trying to start cooking properly and looking through a student recipe book this is the first one that caught my eye for a main meal:

lentil shepherds pie

i then noticed the recipe requires 2 tomatoes, skinned and diced.

i've tried skinning a tomato before and its messy and hard to get the skin off, am i doing it wrong or would they have been better to suggest a tin of chopped tomatoes in this recipe?

also it has 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley or 1 tsp dried, does this sort of thing add much to the recipe, as buying it fresh would cost about £1 i guess which adds a lot to the price of the meal.

just wondered as the books meant to be for basic student meals!

Comments

• parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    hi
    i am trying to start cooking properly and looking through a student recipe book this is the first one that caught my eye for a main meal:

lentil shepherds pie

i then noticed the recipe requires 2 tomatoes, skinned and diced.

i've tried skinning a tomato before and its messy and hard to get the skin off, am i doing it wrong or would they have been better to suggest a tin of chopped tomatoes in this recipe?

just wondered as the books meant to be for basic student meals!

Cut a cross in the skin of the tomato, from North to South and from East to West.

Plunge into boiling hot water for about 5 minutes, with the water covering the whole tomato. Use a jug or a plastic bowl..

Remove the tomato with a fork, leave it on a plate and when cooled, peel away the skin from each side from the top, like peeling a banana.

:D

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    As far as I remember, the way you're supposed to skin a tomato is to put it in a bowl with boiling water for thirty seconds or so, after which the skin is apparently much easier to remove. (I admit I've never tried it myself as tomato skin doesn't bother me so I just use the whole thing :)). I'm surprised they don't explain how to do it in the recipe, though, as it's meant to be for beginners. And yes, you could use a couple of tinned toms instead if that's easier.

You can often pick up parsley on the reduced to clear counter (at least you can round my way), which will make things a bit cheaper. I personally wouldn't bother with dried parsley - it doesn't have much flavour imo - if you can't find fresh stuff at a decent price, you could substitute another dried herb, or some mixed ones. It might not taste quite the same, but it will still be good.

ETA - parsonswife beat me to it! ;):D
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    (Quote CCP)ETA - parsonswife beat me to it! ;):D

I's just so quick!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • Mrs_Jojo
    Mrs_Jojo Posts: 169 Forumite
    Grow your own parsley, you will then be able to add it for free :-)

And use the tinned toms - much simpler!
    Aiming to be debt & mortgage free by November 2018!
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Unless you are using a heck of a lot of tomatoes such as making tomato soup from scratch I don't bother peeling them. When they are chopped up no one has ever noticed they are unpeeled.

A big tub of dried mixed herbs will add flavour to nearly any dish and a big hearty dish like this will be fine with mixed herbs. Dried parlsey on its own isn't something I'd buy as it tastes nothing like fresh.
  • Don't bother peeling tomatoes - it never bothers me, I rarely notice it and don't care anyway.
  • Please can you post the recipe?

I made this once at a cookery class and it was delicious but unfortunatley lost the recipe when I moved house.

Thank you ever so much!!!
  • i was going to ask for the recipe as well please
    you could also try watching for a parsly plant to be reduced in tesco or somewhere then put it on your windowsill , if it grows then you'll always have fresh
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thyme goes particularly well with Lentils,(and it keeps well dried) in place of Parsley. But as OP suggested, buy it growing from the supermarket and just chop off the amount you need; it will keep on growing new shoots for quite a while in the house and if you have a garden/window box you can put it in a large pot and it will last a couple of years.
  • as requested here is the recipe from the really useful ultimate student cook book:

lentil shepherd's pie
    ingredients:
    - 1 tablespoon veg oil
    - 1 onion finely chopped
    - 1 carrot finely diced
    - 250g brown or green lentils
    - 450ml veg stock
    - 500g potatoes peeled and chunked
    - 2 tablespoons milk
    - small knob of butter
    - seasoning
    - 2 tomatoes skinned and diced
    - 60g frozen peas
    - 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried

this hearty dish could feed up to 4 people if served with other vegetables on the side. however on its own it is a complete meal for 2. keep any leftovers covered in the fridge and reheat in the oven the following day.

heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions and carrot for 5 mins until softened. add the lentils and stock, cover and simmer for 30 mins until tender.

meanwhile cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10-15 mins until tender. drain well and mash with the milk butter and seasoning.

preheat the over to 220c/gas 7. stir the tomatoes, peas and parsley into the lentils and simmer together, uncovered for 10 mins. season to taste and spoon into an ovenrproof dish. top with mashed potato and smooth down with the back of a fork. bake in the oven for 15 mins until golden brown and heated through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure