Great 'Best shop chains to haggle in' Hunt revisited'

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 27 July 2010 at 8:08PM in Shop but don't drop
Great 'Best shop chains to haggle in' Hunt revisited'

Haggling can save you big bucks, just be polite and with a bit of chutzpah. A few years ago we asked MoneySavers for the best chains and shops they've haggled in and we think it's time to do it again.

View past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• stesciuba
    stesciuba Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2010 at 3:59PM
    I managed to haggle £60 off a netbook laptop by asking for a display one. was originally £250 the said they would give it me for £190. :j

• NK74_2
    NK74_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    If you can find out when a shops 'end of period' falls (usually month end or quarterly) and go in around that time when they need to make sure they have made their 'targets' and ask the member of staff for a manager's discount this can work to your advantage.
    The manager will be keen to get your money so he can meet his stores targets, so if that means losing your sale (as you can say you will go elsewhere) or getting something from you....every little helps!
    TV bought, priced £899.99 but got 15% discount, paid £764.99.
  • amberseaside
    amberseaside Posts: 2 Newbie
    All garages will give big discounts on their advertised service rates as they are desperate for business - we usually negotiate at least 25% off all work!

• rosie101
    rosie101 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Agreed, garages can be haggled on prices, including dealerships. I phone the Honda Basingstoke for a cost to do a service I then called Reading, they quoted me a cheaper price, I asked them to drop it further as I would have to travel, I then rang back Basingstoke and they agreed to match it, and then because I was having my MOT done at the same time as the service I got the MOT free!
  • ani_ka0
    ani_ka0 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I find Comet good for a haggle. They wont offer any really good discounts until you take out their Warranty plan, I got £90 off a £900 TV, then cancelled the Warranty plan, not paying a penny for it. However, if you do not cancel the plan in time, this does not work, but you will not get this discount without taking the warranty. (The cooling off period in the warranty allows for this, so its not strictly 'wrong')

• jacand
    jacand Posts: 562
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    rosie101 wrote: »
    Agreed, garages can be haggled on prices, including dealerships. I phone the Honda Basingstoke for a cost to do a service I then called Reading, they quoted me a cheaper price, I asked them to drop it further as I would have to travel, I then rang back Basingstoke and they agreed to match it, and then because I was having my MOT done at the same time as the service I got the MOT free!

Whenever I've booked my service with Honda they automatically give you a free MOT, I'm sure it's common practice. I've even returned months later for my free MOT.
  • I have used the net for cheaper tyres from the larger companies and then called the nearest garage to see if they would honour the online price. I used 'National Tyres' and they were great, doing this saved me alot of money :j.
  • Monsoon is quite good for a haggle during sales, specially at the end of sale time when they still have quite a lot of stuff left. If you are going to haggle in a clothes shop, always go when it is likely to be quite, and try and find something that is not quite right with the garment. My preferred complaint is a dodgy zip - most of them are just impossible anyway!! The vast majority of dresses fit without having to use the zip, just breathe in while you slide it through your upper body. Make sure you can do so before you buy the garment, though. I've got Monsoon dresses reduced to £10 from £50 because the zip didn't run properly up and down...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure