IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
Views: 481,932
Old 06-10-2006, 7:00 PM   #1
MSE Archna
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save 1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
MSE Archna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MSE Archna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
halloweenqueen
Old 07-10-2006, 9:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Oh well as I was last in with a comment on the thread - I'll start discussing on this one! I'm hoping I will get at least £600 back , not sure what the overpayments would have been over all the years, wonder whether they will break it down for me?
An alternative savings account I suppose!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halloweenqueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Maisie
Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenqueen
Oh well as I was last in with a comment on the thread - I'll start discussing on this one! I'm hoping I will get at least 600 back , not sure what the overpayments would have been over all the years, wonder whether they will break it down for me?
An alternative savings account I suppose!
halloweenqueen. So pleased you will get a refund. Pass the word on to others to check council tax banding. voa.gov.uk.

Many other MSE's are in line for refunds too.

Happy to have helped.

Maisie OP
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maisie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
halloweenqueen
Old 07-10-2006, 5:07 PM

Thanks maisie - I'm telling everyone I know to check theirs - will let you know how much i get back!
The Following User Says Thank You to halloweenqueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tiff
Old 07-10-2006, 5:57 PM

Most people in our street are in the same band as us but there are quite a few in band D, best not to complain then lol
The Following User Says Thank You to tiff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
pigpen
Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

How does the discount work if you are a carer?

I am the registered carer for my son.. he receives DLA and I receive carers allowance. He is almost 11.

I read you can claim a discount in some circumstances if you are a carer.. or is this only for those such as foster carers not carers of DLA recipients? It isn't very clear.

I haven't heard anything about this before, not that that would surprise me.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance!
The Following User Says Thank You to pigpen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Former MSE Natasha
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Former Personal Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi pigpen - I'm assuming that your son lives with you? I believe in order to get the discount you must be providing care at a residence that is not your own, i.e. caring for an elderly parent at their home, and by doing so you possibily don't spend the majority of your time residing in your own house.

Natasha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Former MSE Natasha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pigpen
Old 08-10-2006, 9:24 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanks Natasha.. Yes he lives with me.. though sometimes (most of the time) I feel he lives in space!!

Never mind.. I will find somewhere I can save some £££'s lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pigpen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Paul Varjak
Old 09-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Council Tax Rebate for Cavity Wall Insulation

Around 880,000 householders can get a one-off rebate of up to £100 on their Council tax if they have Cavity Wall Insulation installed (depending on where they live):

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2006/060313a.htm

The cavity wall insulation is installed by British Gas at a reduced price of £175, so the net cost is as little as £75 - which could be recovered in less one year - with the energy saved.

However, many people on low incomes would do better getting the cavity wall insulation installed for free via ther many schemes available. Contact your local Council and electricity/gas company(s) for more info.

British Gas will even install cavity wall insulation for free if you are on a 'qualifying benefit' - even if you are not one of their customers! But I am not sure if you would qualify for the Council Tax rebate as well.

Last edited by Paul Varjak; 11-10-2006 at 8:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Varjak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
MSE Martin
Old 09-10-2006, 1:41 PM
Money Saving Expert

thanks paul - i'll take a look and add to the article if appropriate
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
CIS
Old 09-10-2006, 6:32 PM

There are three different cases that cover carers

Exemptions
If you leave your property to provide care at another property, you can apply for exemption on your own property

Disabled Band Relief
If your property has doors etc adapted for wheelchair use, has a room set aside specifically for the disabled persons use or you have an extra bathroom/kitchen for their use, then you may get Disabled Band Relief

Carers Disregard
A peron can be disregraded if they are caring for a person in the carers own home, the person cared for is not a spouse (or if under 18, the disabled person is not the carers child) and the person is in receipt of DLA/AA (high care), CAA. The care must also be for 35+ hrs per week.
The Following User Says Thank You to CIS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
praven
Old 11-10-2006, 9:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

From my local council's web site it says the bandings are based on property values in 1991. How can I check my property value in 1991?
Paul
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to praven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
gdcox
Old 11-10-2006, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Council Tax

Anyone thikong of expanding their house and worying about going up a rate band should note that that does not happen until you sell the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdcox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
browolf
Old 11-10-2006, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i got mine reduced when i bought my flat (about 6 years ago which was rated at band 'B' at the time) using the argument if house prices generally go up, how can my flat be band B if its only worth £34k now!

my council tax with single person reduction in band A is about 66 / month

i found the valuation bands here
The Following User Says Thank You to browolf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
kiwi
Old 11-10-2006, 10:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default related matters

after much tooing + froing including having the valuation officer come round to assess, finally have notiifcation of reduced banding.

please can someone advise whether it goes back to 1993 [ have been in situ for all council tax bills so would expect it ALL ] as they have assessed refunds on only 1998- date [ and taken all this years full outstanding against the refund !!! ]
presumably there is not statue of limitations etc ?

finally - is statutory interest payable on these monies.
if it was commercial premises and the RV was downgraded, you do get stat interest back as well.
any legal bits to quote in the next round of correspondence

much appreciated and always good fun hassling for the dosh....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kiwi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Pere Ubu
Old 11-10-2006, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does a neighbour mean in an area or a road? How far does it cover?

We live on a private road which is accessed through an unadopted road. Did write to the council and ask for a reduction becuase of this but they have only acknowledged my letter which I wrote some 6 months ago. Does it normally take this long? Also I am single and have asked for a reduction but they have said I need to provide them with my husband's address details first (we are separated). Am I obliged to provide this info to get a reduction?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pere Ubu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
madshopper
Old 12-10-2006, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default house price calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by praven
From my local council's web site it says the bandings are based on property values in 1991. How can I check my property value in 1991?
Paul
Paul you can go to www.nationwide.co.uk/hpi/ where you can input your figs and it will tell you the estimated value in 1991. We did a successful appeal using this as supporting info and archive info from the local property pages in April 1991
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madshopper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Dalavich
Old 12-10-2006, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Mugs!

Unfortunately we're one of those mugs you hear about.

Both in full time jobs (not highly paid!), we don't have kids (or rather not able to).

So as a result, elegible for diddly squat.

Not even a bit of help replacing our coal fire with a modern boiler and radiators.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dalavich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
dave747
Old 12-10-2006, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Council Tax, How to check house value?

The price your house was worth in 1991 dictates how much council tax you pay. If your house was built after April 1991 then an assumption is made to what would have been its value in 1991. I would advise anyone who thinks they were in the wrong band to ask the Listings Officer at your Valuation Office for the information he is using to value your property and in addition to trawl through local newspapers from Jan 1991 to April 1991, usually on record at Public Libraries. Look at the estate agents pages to see if any houses in your locality were up for sale and what they were valued at, and if necessary take a copy to the Listings Officer. We had our house band reduced and the Listings Officer has a duty to ensure that the valuation list is correct so he had to alter my neighbours as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave747 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
thegreybeard
Old 12-10-2006, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Council Tax Bands - BEWARE

Just be careful; if the Valuation Officer finds or believes that your band is too low, he can put it up!

So, do your homework, first.

:confused:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thegreybeard For This Useful Post: Show me >>