cash gift to my children

Options
I am about to receive my retirement cash lump sum. I would like my four children to share my 'good fortune' in a small way by giving them £3,000 each.

I understand that I can give away up to £3,000 each year without any tax liability on anyone's part. So can I achieve my aim by doing the following....

Give each child as follows...£750 from this years 'allowance' and £750 from last year's (as I didn't make any gifts last year). And then can my spouse do the same, bearing in mind what is mine is hers etc etc .

If yes, then as the money will come from a joint bank account (my wife and me) can I just transfer £3,000 by BACS to each, or should I/we do it in two lots of £1,500 ?

Finally - I would like to give another relative about £500. Can this be on basis of £250 this year and £250 last year, or should it be £250 from my wife and same from me ?

Although I hope to last at least another 7 years, I just don't want to expose anyone to the idea of the gifts beings PETs.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

Comments

• jimclark1967
    Options
    Hi Ted, welcome to MSE :beer:

Your plan sounds spot on. The £250 small gifts exemption can't be carried back so the £500 gift would have to be £250 from both yourself and your wife.

There shouldn't be any issue with making a single payment from the joint bank account - just keep records of what you've done in case HMRC want to investigate.

JC
  • interest_Ted
    Options
    Many thanks JC. Much appreciated.

Just a small further thought - cash gifts at Christmas and birthdays etc.

Are these, strictly speaking, supposed to be covered within the £250 to anyone rule? Something at the back of my mind says that cash gifts at such times are excluded altogether providing they are reasonable. So for example a few £20 notes inside the kids' (or anyone else's) cards would be acceptable, and not considered, strictly speaking, to put us over the £3k or £250 limits.

Thanks again

Ted
  • Tiggs_2
    Tiggs_2 Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think HMRC will hunt you down if you die within 7 years of sticking a fiver in a crimbo card :D
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    BTW you can give unlimited regular gifts (ex Christmas and birthdays) out of your income ( as opposed to capital) without incurring any IHT liability at all, as long as they don't have an impact on your lifestyle.

That's in addition to the 3k a year and small gifts allowances.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Robert_Sterling
    Options
    You give your partner £6000.
    Then you each give each of your children £1500 each.
    This assumes niether of you used any of your previous year's £3000 allowance.
  • snowie69
    Options
    How much can my eldly mother gift out per year without affecting her state benifits:)
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If she is on benefits you should not even be considering taking money from her. Does she, do you, know what the future holds.
  • bobbyj_2
    bobbyj_2 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe she could give you a few quid towards english lessons.
  • Harry_Powell
    Harry_Powell Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    Options
    bobbyj wrote: »
    Maybe she could give you a few quid towards english lessons.

They're free here:

http://www.english-online.org.uk/

Mum can keep her benefits after all!
    "I can hear you whisperin', children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience, children. I'm coming to find you now." - Harry Powell, Night of the Hunter, 1955.
  • Rocksteddie
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a tax liability if I give my son & his wife a £20k gift to help them put a deposit down on their house?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure