Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 5th Oct 09, 2:17 PM
    • 1,625Posts
    • 1,254Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco outlaws 'wrong item' vouchers
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:17 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco outlaws 'wrong item' vouchers 5th Oct 09 at 2:17 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Tesco has permanently banned shoppers from using vouchers for the wrong item. The supermarket giant has overhauled its policy so coupons can only be used ..."

Page 1
    • skintandsad
    • By skintandsad 5th Oct 09, 2:24 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 3,562 Thanks
    skintandsad
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:24 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:24 PM
    Ah well, thats the end of Tesco shopping for me then!

I only ever used them when I had a nice handful of vouchers to redeem; therefore I tolerated their shopping "experience" (low quality meats etc).

Wonders how many others will now use another supermarket due to this policy :confused:
    I'm a nutter
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 5th Oct 09, 2:26 PM
    • 11,095 Posts
    • 10,832 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:26 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:26 PM
    Archna Luthra, MoneySavingExpert.com consumer products analyst, says: "It's a shame Tesco has decided to enforce the terms and conditions of these vouchers
    Why? A shame for people using the vouchers, I guess, but hardly a shame in general. Hardly an injustice, is it?
    • nickmack
    • By nickmack 5th Oct 09, 2:29 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    nickmack
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:29 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:29 PM
    As much as I dislike some aspects of the Tesco business model and however non-MSE it is, I tend to agree with their stance on this.

After some of the abuse of this system I've read, it should come as no suprise that they have enforced this in line with most other major retailers.
    • isofa
    • By isofa 5th Oct 09, 2:45 PM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    isofa
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:45 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:45 PM
    Seems fair enough to me, if you haven't bought the item, why should you get money off?

It's always been against the T+Cs of third party vouchers – just that Tesco and some others were happy to ignore these terms, presumably because it was easy for them to recoup the money – and now they are not. I suspect the manufacturers are cracking down on fraudulent claims from supermarkets.

As Jimmy says above, hardly an injustice!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Oct 09, 2:59 PM
    • 27,962 Posts
    • 12,456 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:59 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 2:59 PM
    Tesco didn't take coupons as cash out of some altruistic motive to help moneysavers pay less for their shopping.

It was a great profit maker for them. (They make a lot more by taking coupons as cash, customers buy more expensive products when they are paying with coupons, there is no staff "pilferage", the coupons are worth more than their face value due to the handling fee that is added, there are no bank charges for card transactions, cash counting etc).

Tesco get reimbursed for the coupons by the supplier. Buried in the conditions of being a supplier is a clause that Tesco won't "police" coupons at the tills to ensure the conditions are met unless the supplier issues "Tesco specific" coupons meaning customers must use the coupons only at Tesco. Should Tesco not get reimbursed for the coupons via normal channels, their suppliers contract allows them to deduct coupons taken from the suppliers payments.

Up till now, Tesco have had the upper hand over this as it's a buyers market, and suppliers cannot really afford to fall out with them, and at the end of the day the supplier has agreed to the clause in the contract.

But because of the nationwide publicity, things have changed, and suppliers' solicitors have been able to use this now open knowledge of what has been going on quietly for years to put pressure on Tesco regarding their contract and clear abuse they have been subjecting their suppliers to all this time.

The publicity has caused an upsurge of coupons being used and Tesco now have cold feet that they are no longer going to be able to treat suppliers in the previous cavalier fashion and just deduct the value of coupons handed in off their bills without normal proof the coupon has been used properly and the product bought.

Who do you think really paid for the abuse by Tesco of coupons?
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 5th Oct 09, 6:49 PM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 7,423 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    • 5th Oct 09, 6:49 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 6:49 PM
    I still can't imagine offering a voucher for the wrong product...
    Blackpool_Saver is female
  • madmuppet5
    • 5th Oct 09, 6:54 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 6:54 PM
    Originally posted by Blackpool_Saver
    Me neither :rolleyes:
    AKA; Mad, MM, MM5, Madicles ©
    Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark ©
    Elite 11+ fundraising total for Make-a-Wish £682
  • Soubrette
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:06 PM
    • 5th Oct 09, 7:06 PM
    My local Tesco has always asked if you've bought the product before scanning the voucher - I even had to unpack the bag to show a huge ecover washing powder box once :rolleyes:

I know this is against head office policy but it always seems to have been the case in my branch - a medium sized supermarket.

(I never offer vouchers unless I have bought the product so don't think I could be on any kind of blacklist )

Sou
    • eslick
    • By eslick 5th Oct 09, 8:28 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    eslick
    at the end of the day like most offers at the supermarkets its the manufacturer who pays for these, so if they are not selling the product it will be us that ends up paying for it in the long run with higher prices.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 09, 8:40 PM
    • 5,528 Posts
    • 32,604 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Goodness, there is a lot of "moral high ground" being taken on this thread!

I certainly have used other than products purchased coupons in Tesco - their policy was that they took them, in our store they limited to three, comprising no more than 10% of the total value of your bill. If that was their policy (and a well publicised one, at that) I can't for a second see any problem with it. The reason things have changed would appear to be down to a relatively small number of idiots abusing the system totally - sadly I suspect from other threads that some of them probably are members on here - I hope they realise that their greed has spoilt it for many others, possibly including those who relied on the use of vouchers to reduce their food bills to a level they could more comfortably manage.
    MFW: Current mortgage o/p 61.57% MF date was 07/28 - Now 03/18 MF target: 24th July 2017!
    OnePoll £14.05/£40
  • heatherks
    the way i see it for every genuine coupon handed over someone has probably bought the product at some time during the week / month without even thinking of using a coupon ..... its the ones that have mass produced them for their own financial gain ...that have brought it to an end
  • SADIE
    Originally Posted by Blackpool_Saver
    Originally Posted by madmuppet5
    Me neither :rolleyes:

• freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 5th Oct 09, 9:30 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre

I hope they realise that their greed has spoilt it for many others, possibly including those who relied on the use of vouchers to reduce their food bills to a level they could more comfortably manage.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Not really, i'm another one who wouldn't dream of using a voucher for something I hadn't purchased, it just doesn't seem right.

If someone is relying on vouchers to reduce their shopping bills then I suppose they need to look at what they're buying? I'm sure the supermarkets haven't always accepted these vouchers for anything.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • Princess Coupon
    • By Princess Coupon 5th Oct 09, 9:45 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 21,447 Thanks
    Princess Coupon
    Martin has posted his response here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=25708977&posted=1#post25708977
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven

• ellie9ellie
    • By ellie9ellie 5th Oct 09, 11:11 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    ellie9ellie
    My local Tesco has always actively encouraged shoppers to use vouchers even though they are not purchasing the items. As long as you don't go overboard I am have been told on a few occasions that during the day/week other shoppers will have bought the item and not used the voucher. As long as the shop sells the product they have no issue with it. I actually used vouchers tonight (before I knew of the ruling - I've literally only just read about it) - a total of £1.30 off my shopping. It's not a huge shame that they have now stopped as I do receive quite a lot of money off vouchers from Tesco e.g £3 off a £30 shop etc.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 6th Oct 09, 2:27 AM
    • 11,648 Posts
    • 11,203 Thanks
    jenniewb

I certainly have used other than products purchased coupons in Tesco - their policy was that they took them, in our store they limited to three, comprising no more than 10% of the total value of your bill. If that was their policy (and a well publicised one, at that) I can't for a second see any problem with it. The reason things have changed would appear to be down to a relatively small number of idiots abusing the system totally - sadly I suspect from other threads that some of them probably are members on here - I hope they realise that their greed has spoilt it for many others, possibly including those who relied on the use of vouchers to reduce their food bills to a level they could more comfortably manage.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    You right;
    I don't think its so much the odd £1 or £2 spent here or there per week off a shopping bill, but more like the greedy people who spend much more...and walk off without paying a penny! I've read it on here, read it on other forums, still can't believe people actually have the audacity! And now they have ruined it for some of those that do use their vouchers responsibly and not overtime!

They stopped allowing unchecked vouchers in my local Tesco (and Sainsburys, and anywhere else) without seeing you hold the item in your hand first a long long time ago, so may not be an issue for me, but I feel for those poorer families that did only use the odd few pence in vouchers per week and really needed it.
    • elver man
    • By elver man 6th Oct 09, 8:07 AM
    • 20,589 Posts
    • 3,671,452 Thanks
    elver man
    I personaly agree with their new policy, the coupons have been abused by a few people for far to long. I doubt if the average tesco shopper will change their supermarket because of this new stance and who knows it may even lead to a few natural price reductions in the future.
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others - Martin Luther King jr
    • 1carminestocky
    • By 1carminestocky 6th Oct 09, 8:17 AM
    • 6,462 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    1carminestocky
    This decision MUST have been taken due to 'outside pressure' from the manufacturers. Reason I say that is that, at the moment, Tesco are desparate for sales! Growth of 'only' 2.8% in the last 6 months when rrivals like Sainsburys and Morrisons have seen 7-8% sales growth. This initiative must have been a huge money-spinner for Tesco. The full year results will be interesting indeed. Of course they are still far and away the biggest supermarket in the Uk but the signs are they are on a downward trend. About time they actually concentrated on their prices instead of these silly marketing 'tricks' IMO.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • a11waysindebt
    There are other major supermarkets out there. lets see who is the first to advertise that they will take the vouchers.

I'm sure that if Morrisons can knock nearly £2.00 off some beans they can accept a voucher off some products.

I bought a total of £46.09 worth of items the other day in Wilkos and with out using any vouchers the bill came to £14.81 with the discounts they offered.

Just makes you think what type of money these companies are making.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

567Posts Today

3,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • British Gas 5% gas only price cut's paltry, like the rest, typically youll still be RIPPED OFF £300/yr. Check now https://t.co/4z6ZQAFv5T RT

• Trust me reading about it isn't as bad as experiencing it https://t.co/c4GAjeuxcU

• Just got into an empty lift at Itv. And quite clearly there's been a very recent very farty previous resident!

• Follow Martin