Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > How do you 'de-shine' a suit? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do you 'de-shine' a suit?
Views: 27,229
# 1
Austin Allegro
Old 17-03-2005, 3:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How do you 'de-shine' a suit?

Normally we like shiney things but not when they're suits.

I've got a nice navy blue wool suit that I've had about four years. It's starting to gleam a bit round the elbows and the trouser seat.

The dry cleaner said he could 'retexturise' it (whatever that means) but thought it was too worn to make much difference.

Does anyone have any old style remedies for this? I seem to recall reading in a wartime 'make do and mend' book that you could do it with light sandpapering, but I'd be worried I'd end up with my bum showing through!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Pooky
Old 17-03-2005, 4:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've got a nice belt sander if you wanna borrow it
# 3
maryb
Old 17-03-2005, 9:24 PM

I've read somewhere that sponging with vinegar and water takes the shine out temporarily but haven't tried it myself
# 4
Austin Allegro
Old 18-03-2005, 9:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

MaryB, yes, I read that as well, and couldn't believe our old friend vinegar had yet another use! Will give that a try.

And the belt sander sounds a good idea. Perhaps I could market a 'frugal belt' that has leather on one side, and sandpaper on the other. When your suit starts shining, you just whip it off and shimmy it up and down your legs to make your trousers good as new!
# 5
LionKing
Old 27-04-2006, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How do you take shine away from suit??

Hi,

I have dry cleaned my suit jacket a few times and there is now a shiny section just under the shoulder area.....(looks as if someone has ironed!).

Is there anyway of getting rid of this as the rest of the suit is fine.

Thanks!
Filiss
# 6
aliasojo
Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm not sure you can get rid of it now? I remember my Father (who always wore uniforms and suits) being a stickler for using a cloth whilst pressing so that this didn't happen......he always said that once the shine was there, it was too late.

There's loads of clever peeps on here with good ideas though so I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of them can prove me wrong.
Herman - MP for all!
# 7
calleyw
Old 05-05-2006, 3:40 PM

According to my household book of hints and tips it says for shiny patches that occur at elbow and knees due to wear is to sponge with a 1 tbsp (15ml) of ammonia diluted in 1/2 pint (250ml) of water.

HTH

Yours

Calley
The Following User Says Thank You to calleyw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
LionKing
Old 19-05-2006, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks Calley. Would this method be ok for shine occurred by dry cleaning...not due to wear?
Filiss
# 9
Lorian
Old 15-07-2006, 8:48 PM

If it's old enough to be shiny maybe it's old enough to look dated, and a new one is in order?
# 10
shopbot
Old 15-07-2006, 8:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In my experience when a suit goes shiny it is usually is made of polyester or has high polyester content. Wool tends to wear through rather than go shiny.

I think that if it has got to the point where you have shiny patches it is time to retire it. This especially important if you are in a job where impressions count.

I realise that you were referring to a suit jacket but on a related matter....
The best way to extend the life of a suit is to buy two pairs of trousers. This is initially more expensive however will be cheaper in the long run. The quickest way to destroy a suit (or shoes for that matter) is to wear it continuosly day after day. If you can alternate suits so much the better. If you can only afford one suit definately get two pairs of trousers.

# 11
maryb
Old 15-07-2006, 9:36 PM

at the risk of sounding repetitive - try spnoging it with (what else?) vinegar and water
# 12
tawnyowls
Old 15-07-2006, 9:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Steaming the suit using a wet cloth and a hot iron held close to, but not on the cloth, is also suggested as a remedy.
# 13
CGG
Old 16-07-2008, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Ironed OH's suit - but the jacket's gone shiny!

Oh dear Gawd, help me!
OH bought a new suit 2 years ago for his father's funeral. It's not been worn since.
We are going to an awards do tonight at DS's school, so need to look our best.
Last night I got out OH's suit, but it had been squashed in the wardrobe, so I hung it in the bathroom believing the unwanted mass of creases would hang out in the steamy atmosphere.
They didn't.
I have steam ironed the trousers this morning. They have come up fine. But, and it's a big but, I did the same to the jacket, and now I've hung it up - it's gone shiny!
Is there anything I can do?
# 14
arnie&caseysma!
Old 16-07-2008, 1:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Try ironing it again but this time put a damp (not too wet) tea towel ontop first. This is what we used to do with our old uniform trousers even through boss used to tell us not to wet the tea towel but this made them shiny and I had to use a damp one to get rid.
"Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
# 15
Penelope Penguin
Old 16-07-2008, 1:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi there We have an existing thread on just this subject - I'll add this thread so that you can browse the other replies.

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
CorvetteMan
Old 13-01-2014, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default remove shine from suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Allegro View Post
Normally we like shiney things but not when they're suits.

I've got a nice navy blue wool suit that I've had about four years. It's starting to gleam a bit round the elbows and the trouser seat.

The dry cleaner said he could 'retexturise' it (whatever that means) but thought it was too worn to make much difference.

Does anyone have any old style remedies for this? I seem to recall reading in a wartime 'make do and mend' book that you could do it with light sandpapering, but I'd be worried I'd end up with my bum showing through!
Hi there, well strangely enough I did read my "household remedy book " a little while back for exactly the same issue - Shiny wear marks on my trousers - the remedy - and by the way it works wonders.....

Make up a very weak solution of coffee ( black ) very weak... and spray onto the trousers/suit and press in the normal way with a damp tea towel over - press / Iron the jacket inside out the suit will look like new ( obviously only if it is a dark colour ( ie : black or navy ). Pressupper trousers inside out to get ride of the creases at the "groan" area - then turn out normally spray lightly with the coffee solution and Press with a damp cloth.... Dont rub iron too hard. Just a light pressing....hope this works... oh and I was supprised it does not make your suit smell of coffee - more like dry cleaning ? how I dont know .. but worked for me.