PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Over whipped double cream

Options
I have over whipped a pot of double cream and it has gone like clotted cream and milk. Can I do anything with it?
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in. :D

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Christmasshopper,

If it's that far gone you probably won't be able to use it as cream. If you keep on whipping you could salvage it as butter.

Have a look at this thread for more details: Making my own butter!

Pink
  • anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    Options
    Yes keep whipping and you will have delicious butter. You can use the whey (buttermilk) to make scones.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • Christmasshopper
    Christmasshopper Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    Options
    Buttered scones for afternoon tea then girls:beer:
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in. :D
  • anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    Options
    Buttered scones for afternoon tea then girls:beer:

YUM!! Count me in then.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this - I stupidly took my eye off the food mixer when I was whipping double cream to go on top of pavlovas. It started to turn too thick - so I added more cream to try to thin it down - and ended up with a pint and a half of slightly sweet butter and buttermilk!!

Any ideas what to do with it? Otherwise I'll probably end up making a sponge just to fill it with butter icing (if it tastes ok). And the slightly sweet buttermilk - scones maybe? What a waste of all that cream aaargh!! And had to buy emergency squirty cream from Co Op too which is nearly another £2 wasted.

Most of my baking usually turns out well, so I've just been taken down a peg or two by my new Kenwood.:o

DFS
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Why not just make the butter into pats and use it for spreading on bread and toast it will also be freezable
    I agree with the buttermilk scones or try buttermilk pancakes
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    Thanks for your help. No space in the freezer unfortunately - and the butter is sweetened so would have to keep it for brandy butter, cakes etc.

Had a serendipitous (?) occurence as it happened - just after I'd brought the eggs in today, my friend called round and managed to knock the egg basket off the worktop! So 4 eggs smashed. I salvaged them, picked out the shells and used some of the butter and buttermilk to make Nigella's buttermilk cake, a chocolate sponge traybake with choc icing, and am about to make some more icing for the buttermilk cake (if it's cooked in the middle...looks a bit soggy!)

DFS
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi all,

I've just had a similar disaster in similar circumstances. I too took my eye off the Kenwood to great my guests while it was whipping cream for my pavolva.

The cream is unsweetened. I've squeezed the buttery bit in muslin to try and get rid of the buttermilk as I understand that this can reduce its life, mostly the butter just came out of the muslin LOL :)

What else can I do? I'd like to use this as normal butter if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

PGxx
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    What else can I do? I'd like to use this as normal butter if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

PGxx

You need to wash the butter to remove all the buttermilk (that can lead to the butter spoiling very quickly). Wrap and chill, and use as butter :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Downsizing

I've merged this with a similar thread on over whipped double cream. Hope you can sort it out ok!

thanks
    Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts