PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

We Don't Like Turkey.....

Options
So we've all agreed on a nice roast beef for Xmas day, which cut is best? meaning most tender and any suggestions to cook it would be great.MTIA.

Comments

• Genuisscuffy
    Options
    Used to work in Butchers in Tesco and swear by rib of beef - you do get some fat in it but thats what makes it taste lovely. We dont like turkey either and we are having rib of beef and my younger son sausages!!! (whats the point cooking turkey if you just end up chucking it away!!) If you have just one rib cook - in pan over normal heat to seal all around then put in oven for about 1hr-1 1/2 depending how you like it.
    2010 has got to be better than the last two years!! :rotfl:

Weight loss to date: 3 Stone & 5lbs!! Weight loss this week: 2 lbs !!:j
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Hotlegs,

I second Genuisscuffy's suggestion of rib of beef. It's pricey, but well worth it.

Dust the joint with mustard powder and black pepper.

Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees, and blast it for 20 minutes before turning the oven down to 190 and cook for 15 minutes per pound for rare. Add an extra 15 minutes for medium rare and leave it in for a further 15-20 minutes if you like it more well done.

The most important bit if you want it to be tender is to allow it to rest in a warm place for at least 20 minutes.

There's an earlier thread with more recipes that may help:

Best Way To Cook A Joint Of Beef?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    im having lamb fresh from butchers mmm

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    Options
    I would go for rib of beef as well. Had it last year and it was absolutely delicious and didn't shrink. Back to turkey this year.
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I dont know anything about cuts of beef but i was really hoping that when i clicked on your post it would just say...

"We love it!"
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I'm for the Rib of Beef too - got one last year for Christmas Day and then decided to have it on New Year's Day instead - very delish. Have got another for New Year this time around too ;).

If you like a bit of 'heat with your meat', treat yourself to a small jar of Horseradish ;).
  • HotLegs
    HotLegs Posts: 900 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your replies, rib of beef sounds delicious. I get my meat from a free range butchers so how would I ask for enough for 4 people? would it be by weight or ribs? sorry for sounding like a dimwit :o
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi HotLegs,

It's probably best to ask your butchers advice but I would usually go for a three rib roast for four adults. This link has lots of advice:

Perfect Prime Rib

Pink
  • HotLegs
    HotLegs Posts: 900 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much Pink, that's a brilliant link you gave, I feel so much more organised now :D Merry Xmas everyone :beer:
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    Hotlegs, another vote for rib of beef, but rather than fret ask your butcher for enough to roast for 4 people then you will get the right amount and the right bit of the ribs. I get our butcher to show me the ribs first and then I decide how many we want - I usually go for a medium size double rib for c8 people - round about £20/25.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport