PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

reuse goose fat?

Options
I did some fantastic roast potatoes yesterday using goose fat, and today we're having another roast, so do you think I can reuse the fat again.
I'm sure I remember something about how the heat changes the properties of it, but then, they must heat it to get it in the tin in the 1st place.
Mary

Comments

• oibaldy
    oibaldy Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Any restaurant that cooks spuds in either duck or goose fat is not going to throw the fat out after only one use, just as chip shops also reuse their, albiet cheaper, fat several times.

Personally, I would reuse it as the strength of flavour from goose fat will still be present to make your roast taste better than using more conventional fats.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hampshirebabe,

I reuse goosefat. I strain it through a piece of kitchen roll to get any bits out and keep it in the fridge.

Pink
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I waited till it cooled down and drained it back into the jar and put it back in the fridge.At £2.99 I paid for it I aint just gunna make one batch of roasties out of it.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I reuse it :) I roasted a 14 lb goose yesterday and must have saved 3 pints of the stuff. Obviously it's already been heated up. I've poured it into freezer tubs and frozen it.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I also have loads of goose fat left over from yesterday, ive got a bowl full in the fridge, which will keep me going a few weeks, and then i have more in the freezer for when thats used up!!!! Yesterdays roasties were lovely, and i sieved the fat back into the bowl, and when cool, went back in the fridge.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Of course you don't have to keep it for roast potatoes. Use it whenever you need to fry something. I believe it is unsaturated fat because it is so soft. Can anyone confirm that, or have I made it up ?
  • kazzzyliz
    Options
    Can anyone tell me where you get goose fat from ,not seen it about would love to do some roasties in it ,thanks.
    kazzylizzy :rotfl:

£2 savings club - - - £8
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kazzzyliz wrote:
    Can anyone tell me where you get goose fat from ,not seen it about would love to do some roasties in it ,thanks.

I got some in Morrisons - I think it was less than £2 but dont hold me to it as remembering costs and non special offer prices arent a strong point :o

It was with the cooked chicken/ready made Yorkshire puddings and gravy if that helps.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you clarify the fat, it lasts longer. You put it in a saucepan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil, removing any scum that rises. Strain into a bowl and leave to cool. When it's hard, scrape off any bits. When you come to use it, heat it slowly at first to get rid of any residual water.
  • crispeater
    crispeater Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    kazzzyliz wrote:

i got a jar of it out of tescos and i know my friend brought some out of sainsburys.. its in the chilled counters if my memory serves me right
    It only seems kinky the first time.. :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family