PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

chicken stew recipes pls

Options
now it getting colder, i would love to make some chicken stew in the slow cooke, the problem is the liquid always looks to runny...:confused:
any help much appreciated.
Kindness costs nothing :)

Comments

• Bad-Boy-Button
    Options
    The best way to thicken the stock is to use a rue.

Gently warn a large knob of butter in a frying pan, add sieved flour and mix until it becomes a paste. If you add this to your stew 10/ 15 mins before the end and gently stir in. It adds a nice savory flavor too.;)
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Options
    or mix 2 teaspoons of cornflour with a little water and add to the stew whilst stirring
    :)
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    you could also try adding some potato to your stew - this soaks up some of the liauid and is alao a natural thickener.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Problem? I want to make chicken stew with chicken breast pieces, bacon, potato, onion and then some carrots and any other random veg I can find, plus lentils... but I have no chicken stock, only veg stock cubes - will it taste funny? Once again apologies for daft questions! Also - I just put the meat in raw don't I? Or should I brown it in pan first?
    Returning MoneySaver, now furiously saving for a house deposit...
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I would brown the chicken first, and I reckon veg stock cubes will be fine.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi MoneySavingSapphire,

I would brown the chicken and fry the onions and bacon before putting them into the pot. The ingredients you're using should give a great flavour and the vegetable stock will be fine. It will be lovely! :)

Pink
  • Okay, will do! Looking forward to it now... Thanks!
    Returning MoneySaver, now furiously saving for a house deposit...
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    i would brown the chicken too - if you don't want to use your stock cube, or don't have any in future, you could use a tin of tomatoes instead for a slightly different flavour; you could add water too the tin too as the veg cooking will turn into a sort of stock as well.
  • LydiaSophia
    Options
    Veg stock will be fine! I can never particularly taste the difference between all these stock cubes! Hope the stew is Yum!
    Lydia

:T :beer:
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

First up sorry if this has already been covered - I know there's lots of chicken stew posts already, but I'm still a bit lost!

I did my first roast chicken the other day, and have a pile of left over meat and have made stock from the carcass. I have carrots, onion, leek, courgette and sweet potato and would like to make stew.

Obviously the chicken is already cooked; I plan on "sweating" the onion and carrot, then adding the other veg and stock ... but do I add the chicken at the same time and leave to simmer, or do I add the chicken later since its already cooked?

Thanks for any help, as I said I'm a bit lost with all this!!

Gemma.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family