PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to make carvery beef at home?

Options
Hello all,

Does anyone know how I would make carvery beef like the type of beef you get a Toby Carvery or the carvery beef you get with Sunday Pub Lunches? ie what type of beef, how to cook etc?

Hope someone can help!

Comments

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    blackcloud wrote: »
    Hello all,

Does anyone know how I would make carvery beef like the type of beef you get a Toby Carvery or the carvery beef you get with Sunday Pub Lunches? ie what type of beef, how to cook etc?

Hope someone can help!

The joint TC uses is big. You can get a big joint too but you'll be eating beef sandwiches for weeks. Go to your local butcher and ask for a beef joint for a Sunday dinner for 20 people (it's around 5kg of meat and should cost around £50) and you'll get a joint similar to TC's beef joint.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • catwoman73
    Options
    The meat in Toby is slow cooked - topside and silverside are normally sold as roasting joints but they can be quite tough if not cooked correctly and I don't know if that's what Toby uses.

Maybe if you cook a big butcher's joint, like Happy suggests and cook it long and slow (several hours over stock and veg) at a lowish temperature, it will be similar. Not the same, but I often get brisket and slow cook it - it is lovely.

I slice and freeze leftover roast meat in meal sized portions and then heat it up in gravy while the roast potatoes are cooking - a significant time saving shortcut to a roast dinner.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the best cut of beef for a roast dinner is Rib of beef

buy it from your butcher on the bone and sit the beef on a trivet of halved unpeeled onions in a very hot oven 220 deg for first 20 minutes then drop to 180 deg and roast at 15-20 min per pound for rare 20-25 for medium take out cover and rest for 20-30 minutes before serving

unpeeled onions give nice flavour to the meat juice to make a great gravy
  • blackcloud
    Options
    thanks all, I bought some beef but it had so much fat, which beef can I buy that has the least amount of fat
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    you do NOT want very lean beef for roasting. The fat is what gives the joint its flavour and stops it going tough. you can minimise the fat content of the finished roast by placing the joint on a wire rack inside the roasting pan. That way the fat will drip through and you can use as much or as little as you like for gravy.
  • blackcloud
    Options
    Thanks, just the last beef we had I cooked for an hour in the oven and it had so much fat it was impossible to even eat. I dont care about the flavour just want beef with no or very little fat, how do you think it would be best to cook it and how long to get rid of the fat.

how about Topside, is that the leanest beef
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks all, I bought some beef but it had so much fat, which beef can I buy that has the least amount of fat

You need fat on a roasting joint if you want it to be succulent and moist, particularly the marbled internal fat. You can always cut external fat off when on the plate but don't buy very lean beef.

You also need to buy rib of beef and, if there are enough people or you enjoy left overs, buy a double rib.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, just the last beef we had I cooked for an hour in the oven and it had so much fat it was impossible to even eat. I dont care about the flavour just want beef with no or very little fat, how do you think it would be best to cook it and how long to get rid of the fat.

how about Topside, is that the leanest beef

In that case, I really wouldn't bother!:eek:

Neither topside not silverside are really roasting joints, they're better pot roasted.
  • blackcloud
    Options
    THAnks all, is topside leaner than silverside
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business