PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Christmas Baking 2011

Options
It's getting to that time :j

DS 16yo is a very keen cook, so when he got home from college yesterday to find I'd been buying dried fruit, nuts and suet, he was so enthusiastic that we should get started, how could I resist :)

Christmas puddings will be made on Stir Up Sunday, later in the month.

I make my cake in December.

Now is an ideal time to make the mincemeat :T I follow Delia's method of lightly cooking all the ingredients, and we all love that recipe. thriftlady and I have a friendly spat each year :p as she prefers to use lots of alcohol to preserve the fruit, and doesn't cook at all.

I set DS to weighing out the dry ingredients. I'll add the chopped apple and other wet ingredients on Sunday and let the flavours develop overnight. I'll then cook it in a low Rayburn for a couple of hours.

What are you making just now - links to recipes will be great :T

Have you a question about what or how to bake for the Festive Season :)
dr-reindeer.jpg
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I normally make a chocolate chip marzipan loaf this time of year. Well it's another way of using up leftover marzipan from the christmas cake :D

My mum has mad her Christmas cake already but is feeding it booze on a regular basis LOL
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Hellyboo
    Hellyboo Posts: 595 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be picking up the cake ingredients on Tuesday when I get some pennies! Will also make mince pies but have a jar of mince left from last year. They'll be done the weight watchers way with filo pastry though :(
    So, there are these boys,
    They kinda stole my heart,
    They call me Mummy

WW 37lb (2 STONE 9lbs! :j ) lost since July, 11tybillion to go...
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent thread!
    Cake and puds all done, and this year's December baking will be pecan pies and assorted gingerbread biscuits. I've got snowflake biscuit cutters so can make really pretty shapes.

I've also stocked up on the L*dl gingerbread hearts - they're good value for money and there's no way I could do as good a job with gingerbread!
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I made my mincemeat about a month ago, raw with alcohol,but not much,just a quarter pint cider. Hope it matures OK and doesn't go mouldy. I will bake the cake in December from a rich fruit cake recipe . I already have a pud, bought last year a 2 for1 offer but best before date Jan 2012 so should be OK -I hope. Will be baking mince pies and mincemeat and apple pies next week and freezing them just ready to heat up over the Xmas season. also game pies. Our xmas lasts from xmas eve to new year because of various family work commitments,so we give gifts on xmas eve,have a nice meal on xmas day,a cold cuts meal on Boxing day,then a normal week time sort of thing for a few days then start again on NYE, a salad and salmon and pie buffet and a pork roast on NYD, when all the family will be together. I find the "secret" is to have all presents bought and wrapped by mid Nov and most food bought eg I have a turkey crown in the freezer and venison and pheasant and rabbit already. ,then bake the last week of Nov and first week of Dec. Avoid all the last minuit rushing and excess spending. Spend time going for decent long walks and enjoying the fresh air and countryside instead. Makes things quite stress free and enjoyable. I also take the attitude if we havent got it then too bad! we'll do without or suubstitute,its real life,after all,not an American movie.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I'm planning on doing shortbread with some chocolate dipped. Truffles (Childhood favourite!), brownies, cakes, biscuits and cookies. I don't do a christmas cake just a sponge with christmas decorations (I know I know but I just don't like it!). Nothing really to do early but I am excited that the little guy shall be able to help me this year.
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got the fruit soaking for the Christmas Cake as we speak.

I was going to buy "miniatures" as we don't have spirits, except sometimes at Christmas.

However, the only "miniatures" I could find were in a gift box affair, three bottles for about £7.00 :eek: So I bought a qtr bottle of Captain Morgan (with Tesco vouchers of course) :D the OH likes Rum and Black - Tastes like cough mixture to me :eek: but he seems to like it. So it won't go to waste.

I buy bought mince meat and Christmas pud. I won't make any mince pies though until Christmas. For one there isn't much room in the freezer as yet so I can't really freeze any. Another reason is I don't want to be fed up with them, so I tend to save them until the right time.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    I hate Christmas cake, but will be making Mince Pies, biscuits etc.

Aarons Mummy- would you share your truffle recipe pretty please as i'd likke to make some for the 1st time!
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    I've just made some mini Christmas Cakes (presents for single friends/pensioners) they are a perfect size for single people and those who like a "bit" of rich cake but dont want to buy/make a large cake (feeding and maturing them at present).

Its a recipe from the "doyen" of baking - Mary Berry and uses small Baked Bean tins to bake them in.

Also nearer the time I will also do some Shortbread rounds to go with the cakes - having found a carved wooden mould that belonged to my grandmother :T.

Baking cupboard has also been stocked up to make sweets like peppermint creams, truffles and crispy fudge squares which have a rice crispie and toffee base with fudge poured over the top - ok, ok I know - dentists and nutritionists will hate it - but hey its once a year!!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    this is all great....old tractor that is very impressive organisation....i have the ingredients in for mince pies and x3 christmas cakes purchased in m and s.....i make something on stir up sunday because i love the tradition of it....i need to get off my backside and get organised....might buy a turkey crown next week for the freezer
    onwards and upwards
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ps pp i agree about jason winning strictly...id love to do some baking for him but i digress
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family