Old Euro Notes - Pesetas

Options
Hi ... I dont want to sound mean, but financially i am near rock bottom but i have found many thousand "old" pesetas.

Does anyone know of a way i can "cash" these and keep the money, even if I have to pay a reasonable commission.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to the Up Your Income board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • andyhargreaves
    Options
    Only in Spain, I would imagine...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ this is just my opinion, no promises or guarantees that it is correct ;)
  • sophie131
    sophie131 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    Peseta notes and coins that were legal tender on December 31st 2001 remain exchangeable indefinitely at any branch of the central bank (In Spain).

That's all the info I could find. I don't think you'll have much luck. I know it doesn't help you out any but if you do find out there's no way you can get any spendable money for them, I do know that several charities accept them as they get something for them.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Options
    So, if you know anyone you trust going to Spain any time soon, that looks like your answer! You could even work out how cheap a fare you'd need to be able to get to make a day trip cost-effective ...

You'll then have a load of Euros. I'm not sure how cheaply you'd be able to exchange them - I know where I get my Euro-cash I can change it back commission free, but I think that's only because I got it there in the first place, IYSWIM.

The only thing I'd worry about is whether there was any chance of it looking like money laundering. I believe British banks would have to ask questions if you tried to deposit an unusual amount of cash. When you say 'thousands', what's it worth in Euros?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • loveangel
    loveangel Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Clive as in england with old notes and coins it's free of charge with bank of england although all main banks are obliged to accept oild notes and coins free of charge in any case, on behalf of the bank of england. In spain however if you go somewhere else other than banco de espana you risk them charging hefty admin fees and even possibly giving you a rate different from the fixed exchange rate of 166.386 for a Euro.
    For Pesetas you can post them off and have them exchanged free of charge at Banco De Espana - http://www.bde.es/billemone/peseta/modelo_presentacion_billetes_ingles_.pdf
    or if you or anyone is going to spain simply exchange them free of charge at any brnach of banco espana:-
    http://www.bde.es/infoinst/organiza/sucursales_ing.pdf
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I went to Ibiza 10 years ago 1000 pesetas was about £4.

• woohoo_postingid
    Options
    Just a thought, maybe you could list them on eBay ?

Add a Spanish translation on the page and set it so it can be viewed on eBay Spain (if there is one). Accept Paypal only

Don't know if this is possible, just a thought
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    At risk of Thread Hijack I found a £5 note except iit was irish.

what can I do with that??
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    At risk of Thread Hijack I found a £5 note except iit was irish.

what can I do with that??

You can exchange it at the Central Bank of Ireland (see link below) but to be honest it's hardly worth it. IR £5 in Euro is approx. 6.35 (assuming that the conversion rate of IR £1 = EURO 1.27 – the original conversion rate in 2002), after which you'd need to change it to sterling. Obviously commission etc would need to be taken into account as well...

They do say they provide the exchange service via post and will pay any monies into your bank account but it's not clear whether this is an Irish only account or whether any bank account holder could make use of the service.

You have nothing to lose by enquiring but it seems like an awful lot of effort to go to for what will more than likely work out to be less than a fiver. :confused:

http://www.centralbank.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=ncn_prev.asp&nv=ncn_nav.asp

If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • iluvfreebies
    iluvfreebies Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    was it punts or n.irish sterling?
    Comp Wins 2011 : Cant wait to start listing everything:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts