Which Plasma? Pioneer 4280 or Panasonic PZ85?

Options
I'm buying the 4280 or PZ85 this weekend but still can't decide which one to buy.

The cost is about the same and I can get a 5 year warranty on each.

The 4280 has excellent reviews but is older technology and Pioneer are quitting the plasma market.

The Panasonic is brand new, has the latest technology, but I have seen very few reviews.

I watch a lot of films, sport and SD. I do not have SKY HD.

I am not a gamer but my 7 year old is having a Wii for his birthday this month.

I seem to see motion blur more than most people.

Can anyone sway my decision either way?

Comments

• DocHants
    DocHants Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just ordered the PZ85, purely on the back of the reviews on the earlier models, and the expectations of the new range...

However, if you are not watching any hd, I would prob go for the pioneer, which are regarded as the best panels money can buy.. and you will find plenty of reivews, and awards for it...

Although its not true HD, the picture quality is meant to rival most of the higher spec competition... and as you wont be using it for HD, I reckon you should go for it...

I never went for that, but nearly did.. due to the fact Iwanted a full hd panel, otherwise I would have got one....
  • JJKrista1
    Options
    Probably too late but I bought a 4280, but sent it back due to a intermitant buzzing noise.

Aside from that I'd highly recommend the set. Picture quality for SD sources is the very best of all available sets.

Well worth the money if you can afford it.
  • dkent
    dkent Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    JJKrista1 wrote: »
    Probably too late but I bought a 4280, but sent it back due to a intermitant buzzing noise.

Aside from that I'd highly recommend the set. Picture quality for SD sources is the very best of all available sets.

Well worth the money if you can afford it.

When you say buzzing noises are we talking very loud ?

I have just ordered the 428xd :confused:
  • Wolfman_2
    Wolfman_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Still awaiting a price match from John Lewis on the 4280.

The latest reviews for the PZ85 are generally good but do indicate problems ie grey whites, IR, picture/brightness setting issues, shadow lines etc.

Someone suggested I should buy a cheaper tv e.g Panasonic TH42PX80B and use part of my saving (£500) to buy SKY HD. Would SD on the PX80B be significantly worse than on the 4280 or PZ85?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure