Home made Short crust Pastry

Cost 27p/500g

Saxby’s Short crust Pastry

Cost 88p/500g from Mr T

Home made all butter short crust pastry

Cost 50p/500g

Jus-Rol frozen all butter short crust pasty

Cost £2.49 from Mr T.

And I used to just chuck em in my shopping bag! Although I don’t use that much pastry, it doesn’t take long to save some pennies (or ££££)
[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
Trying not to waste food!:j
ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie

Comments

• ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    oooh that hurts!!

I have to admit when I worked full-time I was the same.Just goes to show how much you can save though

Lesleyxx
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think it should read 'Gold Plated' rather than All Butter!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • A lot of the cheaper ready made pastry have hydrogenated fats, so probably better for your health to make your own (as well as your pocket).
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wow! I'm glad I don't buy shortcrust :eek:

I admit I do buy puff pastry (however, only occassionaly), but only because it's a lot of faff if I'm just doing something small. Shortcrust can be done very quickly and easily :)

Lx
  • I buy puff pastry as well, but usually only when I see the decent stuff reduced and can freeze it.

I've never bought ready made shortcrust though, too easy to make.
  • i must admit i buy my pastry i just can't make it no matter how many times i've tried it just wont happen....you win some you lose some!!
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's never even crossed my mind to buy shortcrust pastry, it's too easy to just make yourself. My mother taught me when I was pre-teen and she always said my naturally cold fingers made beautiful pastry :)
  • purpleivy
    Forumite
    My dd has hot little hands, but she likes making cakes, so no problem there!
  • purpleivy
    Forumite
    Update! I made quiches for tonight. Ham, cheese and onion for three of us and cheese and onion for dd. Individual ones, pastry rolled nice and thin.

After we'd had them and they said how lovely they were, I said, "Btw, this is the pastry I made". Hubby said he thought I bought pastry, so I told them how it was.... bought is 3x price. I told them that I was trying to plan around what was in the house and trying to avoid throwing things away ( we started with spicy veg soup largely made with what I trawled from the fridge, including the last 3 parsnips from christmas and the salad left on the chopping board that dd and I didn't finish at lunch time. I pointed out that soup was left overs. ).

Oh! the quiches...the plan was to use some of the ham left over at Christmas, currently residing in the freezer, the last of the cream. WHen I dipped my finger in the cream I decided it wasn't good enough, so had a change of plan. I made some scones and we had them with clotted cream that was left over from Christmas.

They said they had really enjoyed everything they had had this week....... well, they would, it was all HM!
  • ok - in my bid to learn a new recipe every week to expand my limited cooking skills - could someone give me a foolproof (for fool read 4 year old village idiot!!) recipe for their shortcrust pastry.

also is there a separate recipe for sweet shortcrust and normal shortcrust pastry??

Thanks
    shimona
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family