RespErate for high bp?

Options
just been looking at video on utube about this device.
apparantely its been on this morning shown by Dr. chris steele as well.
just wondered if anyone has tried this and if it works for them.
its quite expensive , does come with a money back guarantee, but with certain conditions.
Nice to save.

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    As so many of my posts are removed soon after posted I will emphasise first that the following is SIMPLY INFORMATION. IT IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. As usual I check at pubmed to see if there is any medical research evidence to support the spending of money on particular items whether supplements or a device such as this.

What you make of that information is up to you.

Effect of device-guided breathing exercises on blood pressure in hypertensive patients The effects of Resperate on Blood Pressure and Quality Of Life were not significantly different from those found in the control group. Furthermore, 40% of patients did not reach the target breathing frequency, making this device less suitable for clinical practice in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

You may also find this full text article helps you make an informed evidence based decision.
    Device-Guided Breathing to Lower Blood Pressure: Case Report and Clinical Overview Device-guided paced breathing may offer an effective, simple, and new nonpharmacologic option for treating high BP without additional side effects, but like all lifestyle modifications, must be practiced consistently to provide benefits
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used one and it did reduce my blood pressure. It slows your breathing down which is what happens when you meditate. Both work if you practice regularly.

I've seen some reports on other forums of music lovers hating the quality of the "music" played by the machine but that's a personal thing.

You may be interested in reading about Mukta Vati - this has had a dramatic effect on my BP.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    hi mojisola, just thought i would share this with you.
    after reading your post i ordered mukta vati, was told that i should notice difference in 7-10 days. however, on the first day i took it my bp reading was now 119/75 compared with 156/92 a couple of nights before.
    however, after the first evening it has now levelled out to around 132/86.
    i am still a little wary about it tho, just wondering what my gp will say when i go for check up in a couple of days.
    just dont understand why gp's do not look into anything like this or recommend or prescribe this.
    then again i wonder , is it truly herbal or is there anything else in it as well for it to make such a change.
    btw i ordered over internet for £20 for a months supply - 120 tablets, did yours cost similar?
    Nice to save.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    While this thread has resurfaced may I bring you up to date with the change in my blood pressure following Weight loss using ]this low Carbohydrate eating plan. I was 127<>96ish I'm now 106<>65

May I also remind readers that although exercise is particularly helpful for blood pressure lowering and I would support extra exercise where possible it is not an essential element to the plan and it is possible to reduce weight and lower blood pressure even if extra exercise is not practicable. Exercise and blood pressure

Do remember also that Plasma 25(OH)D levels are inversely and independently associated with the risk of developing hypertension. so ensuring your vitamin d status is optimum by taking effective amounts of Vitamin D3 through the winter will help lower your blood pressure.

Melatonin for high blood pressure?

What's better than fish oil?
  • Gordon_Cameron
    Options
    Hi there

I'm both a blood pressure sufferer and a doctor who treats others with high BP.

I've recommended resperate to many of my patients and tried it myself with a good result. Too early to say yet if the benefits will be sustained but looks good so far. Also makes me generally more relaxed and less stressed.

As far as cost goes I think it's a great investment for what it offers.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    People interested in lowering blood pressure may be interested in this newly listed piece of research.
    Interindividual variation in serum sodium and longitudinal blood pressure tracking in the Framingham Heart Study. It concludes In our large community-based sample, serum sodium was not associated with blood pressure cross-sectionally, or with blood pressure tracking or hypertension incidence longitudinally. which I am sure will surprise people who Haven't been listening to Gary Taubes Some people are very slow on the uptake.
  • SparkyG
    SparkyG Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some people are very slow on the uptake.

That's very rude and uneccessary, and such comments are not welcome on this forum.
    :beer: My glass is half full :beer:
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    SparkyG wrote: »
    That's very rude and uneccessary, and such comments are not welcome on this forum.
    So I presume you are happy to have health professionals repeating out of date information ad infinitum. The history of medicine shows it usually takes 50 yrs before new discoveries are applied by doctors. Given we now have the internet and new science research finding can be available over the world in a matter of hours, why is it acceptable for health professionals to endlessly repeat information that has little or no basis in fact?

I repeat it simply is not acceptable to me that UK doctors still haven't understood the need for Vitamin D and it's impact on the incidence of many chronic conditions and it effect on mortality reduction.

Similarly we see the same reluctance to acknowledge the health advantages of a low carbohydrate diet or the fact that although exercise is extremely good for heart and brain it is NOT an essential component for weight loss.

We have, as a population, to exert some pressure on our health professionals to get their act together to PREVENT the incidence of chronic conditions where possible.

Current Obesity levels are inevitably going to lead to a massive increase in Alzheimer's, heart disease, diabetes and cancers. But health authorities are stuck on a dogma that continually repeats the errors of the past. All over the world people are successfully keeping diabetes under control through the use of a low carbohydrate diets but our diabetes experts continue to give out the advice that carbohydrates are an essential part of every meal. It's almost as if they have forgotten that for 2 million years before the invention of farming human bodies evolved to function without refined carbohydrates.

To be fair we also evolved without access to salt, evidence for the first salt mines only goes back 6000years, so maybe we have had less time to evolve to cope with salt than we have to dairy and gluten although there are plenty who are allergic to lactose / gluten.
  • quid-itch
    Options
    just been looking at video on utube about this device. Apparently its been on this morning shown by Dr. chris steele as well.
    just wondered if anyone has tried this and if it works for them.
    its quite expensive , does come with a money back guarantee, but with certain conditions.

I've had my doubts about this device from Resperate for a while although it was cleared by the FDA - Food and Drug Administration in the US way back in 2002. It strikes me that it's an overpriced MP3 player with retro sony cassette walkman headphones.

Surely the same effects can be achieved by learning to do contolled breathing without going to the expense of investing in Resperate?

However if it works for some and does help lower blood pressure why knock it?

After all Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resperate states:

The body of research concerning Resperate comprises about ten articles published in peer-reviewed journals. (lots of references) This research, including several randomized, double-blind trials of modest size, is essentially consistent and supports use of the machine for reduction of blood pressure.

So it must be true!
    Let the wind free, where e'r you may be.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i never tried resperate, instead i have found that , if my bp reading is high, i try to relax and carry out deep breathing exercises.
    e.g slowly. inhaling, stop, exhaling, stop , each to the count of four
    then taking my bp again, does on most occasions reduce bp.
    however, i do not know how long my bp is low for and if after a short while it increases again.
    maybe users of resperate could inform as to whether after using resperate how long does the effect of low bp last?
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport