This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Personal loans article.

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply
Former MSE team member

Comments

• bb_forrest
    bb_forrest Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Northern Rock will only transfer money to other Banks/Building Socs by Chaps so that is £35 before you start.
  • jacquie
    jacquie Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    In the terms and conditions it states that thats for immediate payment into your chosen account. If you write when you return your signed agreement stating that you do not require this and request payment via bacs this is free of charge but takes up to 4 working days.

Jackie
  • Arbie
    Arbie Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently applied for an unsecured loan from Moneyback for £13k, assuming (with my good credit history and fairly high salary, and as I'm debt free) I would be offered their typical 5.7%. I was asked by email to call them as 'my decision was now ready'. I duly did, and was told that the rate I would be offered was 6.9% (a £167 increase in interest in real terms). Fair enough - I know I'm not guaranteed their best rate. However, I was unimpressed with the hard sell on payment protection that followed. My call, after being told that I was approved in the first minute, stretched to 17 minutes before I was told that the application was in the post to me. I refused the protection at least four times with a definite 'No, I don't need it', only to be hit with the insidious "But sir, what if you're ill, or what if you die, who will cover your debts?" line every time. I haven't yet decided whether to give them my business - if I do, I may well write and bill them for the mobile phone call!

Rant over.
  • sudman
    sudman Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Arbie wrote:
    I have recently applied for an unsecured loan from Moneyback for £13k, assuming (with my good credit history and fairly high salary, and as I'm debt free) I would be offered their typical 5.7%. I was asked by email to call them as 'my decision was now ready'. I duly did, and was told that the rate I would be offered was 6.9% (a £167 increase in interest in real terms). Fair enough - I know I'm not guaranteed their best rate. However, I was unimpressed with the hard sell on payment protection that followed. My call, after being told that I was approved in the first minute, stretched to 17 minutes before I was told that the application was in the post to me. I refused the protection at least four times with a definite 'No, I don't need it', only to be hit with the insidious "But sir, what if you're ill, or what if you die, who will cover your debts?" line every time. I haven't yet decided whether to give them my business - if I do, I may well write and bill them for the mobile phone call!

Rant over.

I had exactly the same experience for a loan of a similar amount, the apr offered was 6.9%. Me thinks you only get the 5.7% if you take the protection.

I told them to stuff it, i'd go elsewhere.
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    whoops just applied with them ! I used to have an allied + lecister bank loan and paid it off so thought that I would be accepted. I was told to phone too but wont now. Does that mean I will not be able to apply direct to Alliance and lecister and will now go against my credit rating ?
  • axcess
    Options
    sudman wrote:
    I had exactly the same experience for a loan of a similar amount, the apr offered was 6.9%. Me thinks you only get the 5.7% if you take the protection.

I told them to stuff it, i'd go elsewhere.

After reading this forum I thought long and hard about applying for a moneyback loan but decided it was worth giving it a try.

The Tactic I used was to apply online and include the protection.
    Once I had an email confirming I was accepted, I made a call to find out the rate and I was given a number for the A&L.

I don't think the person I got through to was in sales as once she confirmed I was offered 5.7% I asked her to remove the protection and she made no attempt to make me change my mind.

I recieved the paperwork the following day, posted it back and four days later the 7.5k was in my account!!! :D

maybe I got lucky, but I think it's a technique worth trying.

BTW, why is so much easier to get a loan than a credit card??
  • Jamine_2
    Options
    I have had a very similar experience with Northern Rock so I sent them a letter:

Further to the prolonged discussion with your insurance salesman interspersed with the obligatory “would you please hold while I discuss this with my manager” routine, I am declining your offer of a loan as I do not need or require any more insurance as explained in great detail to your very pushy salesman.
    I have a comprehensive insurance policy with ****** PLC. Which covers my mortgage repayments in the event of accident, long-term illness or incapacity.
    I have life insurance cover with Norwich Union for £90,000 and as a full time lecturer I have extra cover as part of my employment contract and through the teachers union NATFE. My wife has life insurance for £100,000, which will also pay half of the outstanding mortgage.
    As explained to your salesman redundancy is not an issue as this is very unlikely however as I am a Corgi registered gas engineer and have been self-employed for 30 years I am unlikely to be without an income.
    I do however object to the sales ploy that I do not have any savings. If I had savings I would not be applying for a loan in the first place. I do have credit facilities available to me through the Woolwich building Society as part of my Mortgage savings plan which allows me to borrow up to £**** without any fixed repayment plan should I have needed to pay back your loan for any reason.
    It seems to me that you do not actually offer loans at 5.6% at all as they are always tied in with an insurance scam making the real interest rate nearer 7%. Thank you for wasting my time. I will ensure that this information is passed on to the financial advisory service that I used to access your company in the first place. Hopefully it will serve to stop other people the hassle of having to deal with con artists like you.

Well it may have been a bit OTT but sure enough 2 days later I recieved a very apologetic telephone call and a new offer without insurance cover.

Hope this helps.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Martin's advice in this respect:
    Easier to obtain cheap loans

Those without a good credit history will find most ultra cheap lenders either reject them or charge a much higher interest rate. There are no hard or fast rules, but two types of loan which may help:-

* One Rate Only Providers: Most loans advertise typical rates, which means while 66% of accepted customers get the rate advertised, the rest are offered higher rates due to poor credit scores.

Currently the cheapest guaranteed rate lender (ie if you’re accepted this is the loan you’ll get) is the Skipton Building Society via an exclusive arrangement with commercial price comparison website Moneysupermarket (this loan doesn’t exist if you go direct to Skipton).

To qualify you need to be a home owner (though this isn’t a secured loan) over 25 and earn over £15,000. The following are the correct links – Link for £5k to £6,999 loans*; Link to £7k plus loans*.

The alternative provider is the Nationwide which has a guaranteed rate of 6.7% for borrowing from £1,000 up.
    uses dubious logic, at best.

I am concerned that the idea that lenders who charge one flat rate to everyone they accept (my emphasis) are more likely to accept your application than those who charge for risk is very misleading, simply due to financial common sense.

Even if lenders offering flat rates get a normal distribution of applicants (which they won't - see later), they cannot profitably lend money at the flat rate to those without a good credit history. The biggest factor in personal loan profitability is NOT the cost of borrowing the funds, but the level of defaults. And those with bad credit histories, on average, have a far higher propensity to default than those with good credit histories.

And, of course, the situation is worse than that.

If company A lends at (say) 6.9% to all customers they accept, they will get a lower proportion of top-rated customers - as the astute ones will go to company B who charge 5.5% (say) to the best customers. So company A's share of top credit scoring customers will be lower, and 6.9% will therefore probably represent a fair rate for those they accept - but there's no "excess" profit from those who "should" have paid 5.5% to cross-subsidise those who "should" have paid 7.9% or higher - who will hence likely get rejected.

In my view, those with excellent credit histories should apply (as Martin says) to the best buy lenders - who price for risk and charge less than those with a flat rate of charge.

Those with mediocre credit histories should (not as Martin says) still apply to the best buy lenders - who price for risk - in the acknowledgement they'll probably get charged more than the best buy rate BUT that they are likely to be accepted. If, alternatively, they follow Martin's advice and apply to the "flat rate" lenders, they'll almost definitely get rejected. If they get rejected by a "pricing for risk" lender then, a pound to a penny, they would ALSO have been rejected by a "flat rate" lender.

There is probably a very narrow band of customers who would get accepted by a "flat rate" lender but priced up above the "flat rate" by a "pricing for risk" lender, but I'm not sure I would do the damage to my credit rating of lots of declined credit applications in order to test this theory.
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    Jamine wrote:
    It seems to me that you do not actually offer loans at 5.6% at all as they are always tied in with an insurance scam making the real interest rate nearer 7%.

Just to say that the loan I took out with NR last month was at 5.6% without the PPI.
    Dave. :wave:
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Arbie wrote:
    I haven't yet decided whether to give them my business - if I do, I may well write and bill them for the mobile phone call!

I find it's always worth asking if people will ring you back, if you're on your mobile....ESPECIALLY if they are trying to sell you something! - I'm constantly amazed that they do ring you back very willingly.... :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure