American Hamper & Elvis films!....

Options
My best friend loves america but as she's getting married in Antigua in January (the lucky mare!:rotfl: ) she's not going on her annual trip to the states.

I thought I would do her an American Hamper for Xmas and this is what I have got so far:

Box of Oreo Cookies
Tub of popcorn (in american box)
Choc chip muffin mix (in american box)
Elvis fridge magnets
Elvis singing bottle opener

I'm currently tracking down some Almond M&M's (she always stocks up while she's over there! Also want to get some bottles of Budweiser and an Elvis movie.

Can anyone think of anything else American (not guide books though, she has hundreds!) and also recommend a really good (and cheaply available!!) Elvis movie!

Also, where can I get an American gift box/bag or even "Stars & Stripes" ribbon?!

Thanks in advance!

Stacey
Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
-6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)

Comments

• Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Stacey I got a DVD called 'Elvis the early years' in Poundland a couple of weeks ago. It's for a gift , not watched it so not sure of quality. HTH
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends what sort of Elvis you want - film, music or documentary.

For music, then I'd go for the ' 68 Comeback Special (Black Leather, big letters in the background) or possibly Aloha from Hawaii/Las Vegas (white jumpsuit and sweaty scarves era, lol)).

For documentary - the better options I'd say are either a docu-drama film with Kurt Russell, or Elvis By The Presleys, which is a more recent one done by Priscilla etc.

For film - I don't know - all depends how much of a fan she is, if at all. The early ones had better story lines and acting, the later ones were publicity machines with more staged music and pretty girls. You should be able to find a good range of titles at only a few pounds each in most retailers.

*this is what being brainwashed by Elvis in your formative years does to you, lol*

:)

Have you checked eBay for the ribbon etc? You might even find some treats you hadn't thought of - Hershey's is starting to turn up over here, and Reese's is nice too (and easier to find in the UK)

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • MoaningMyrtle
    Options
    Yes, you can get Reese's chocs in Asda/Walmart and Woolworths.

You can get Almond M & M's from www.Cybercandy.com.

How about Jelly Belly jellybeans too?
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • sunshine38_2
    Options
    OOOOOOOOH! ELVIS!! :j

Hi, your idea sounds fab! My mum is a mad Elvis fan and has just come back from Graceland - feels like I have been myself considering the number of photographs that she took and I have looked through :rotfl:

I normally buy her Elvis films from play.com (cashback via quidco too as I have now discovered!) - they always seem to have reasonably priced films/cds. (My fave is GI Blues) Some things I have bought her included Elvis coasters (although she was hesitant about putting hot cups of tea on them!) and, one that she absolutely loved was a life size poster (actually it was a pack of two) from partyrama.co.uk - she has it on the back of her bedroom door:whistle:

Not sure about stars & stripes ribbon - I guess ebay would be your best bet.

I'm sure your friend will love what you are doing for her.

Sunshine x
    Official DMP Member No ... wait for it ... 180!!! :D
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2009 #397
    :jSuccessfully reclaimed Abbey bank charges under hardship criteria 22/05/09:j
  • annaangeluk_2
    Options
    Wow! Some definite elvis fans!!

Thanks for your help everyone! Some great ideas there!

Stacey
    Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
    -6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    I got my mum an Elvis family organiser and address book from The Works,was only about £2 lovely black and white pics :D
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    I was going to do my oh a New York Hamper for Christmas.

I have saved up all my Tesco Vouchers woooohhooo :) Thank you Mr T and have enough to pay for a weekend away to New York (a pressie for me too lol) but sadly I havent saved enough for spending money :( So I'm going to leave it until next christmas. :)

This is what I was going to put in it;

New York Sauce
    Hot dogs with flag on front of tin
    New York Bagels
    New York Guide Book
    Hershey bar,
    M & Ms
    Dollar bill
    Big Red Apple (putting in nearer the time)
    Blueberry muffins
    New York Cap (off ebay)
    I love New York fridge magnet (off ebay)

I'm sure shes going to love hers :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport